Cleveland Browns Draft Scenarios

Shylo3716

12 hours ago, Classic said:

Mike Glennon? How many F.A QBs are okay with coming in for a year to tutor a rookie. I'd say starting them early on has more success than sitting team. Plus if they aren't what you hoped at least you know early on and can reset at the position.

Generally, I'd agree...but not with Hue Jackson. He's made it as hard as could be for back to back rookie QBs and remains as stubborn as ever. Acquire A.J. McCarron and give him a shot as a starting QB. Sit the top pick, likely Darnold.... who needs time anyway.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

Generally, I'd agree...but not with Hue Jackson. He's made it as hard as could be for back to back rookie QBs and remains as stubborn as ever. Acquire A.J. McCarron and give him a shot as a starting QB. Sit the top pick, likely Darnold.... who needs time anyway.

Never going to happen unless Haslam overrides Dorsey. Hopefully, Darnold sits for 6-8 games like Trubisky and then starts, which is a proven formula in developing successful QB's. Even if he starts from day 1, I have no doubt that Darnold will be a very solid franchise QB.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think there are any realistic scenarios where Barkley is NOT there at #4.

#1--Darnold

#2--Rosen

#3--Chubb

^^^^

I'd expect this to be the case at about 90% certainty right now, assuming no trades. And it's extremely unlikely someone would trade up that high for a RB.

Darnold will be the pick, Rosen has had too many injuries to bypass him and Darnold is totally loved by all the scouts on NFL.com and the NFL GM's they interviewed.

Unless Darnold refuses to sign with Cleveland, which I seriously doubt, it is 100% a sure thing that Darnold will be our pick!!!

As for pick #4, I could see Dorsey trading the pick depending on who is available when we are on the clock. He will possibly trade down with a QB desperate team, but no lower than top 10, for an extra 1, 2 and 3, although they may not all come in the 2018 draft. It can only happen if the scouts rate Jackson as a top 5 QB, which is where he stands right now, before the postseason draft process takes place. After all, teams who are QB desperate, will overpay by quite a bit, to get a shot at one.

I like Barkley, but a solid RB can be had in round 2, if your scouting department is solid and RB's get injured and have short careers, so using the #4 pick on one seems too costly to me.

12 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I like Barkley, but a solid RB can be had in round 2, if your scouting department is solid and RB's get injured and have short careers, so using the #4 pick on one seems too costly to me.

He's far more than a "solid RB" though. Barkley will be the league's premier RB...or at least in the top 3, if you ask me. He's the most talented RB prospect since Peterson and literally does EVERYTHING at a high-elite level. The difference between Barkley and the next back (Guice IMO) is extremely wide. It's like passing on Ezekiel Elliot because you can get Kenyan Drake or CJ Prosise. Saquon changes everything for this offense. People stay up at night terrified of Barkley. Nobody is terrified of the second tier backs in this class.

I don't expect Barkley to have a short career. He is an elite receiving back that can become Kevin Faulk into his mid 30's once his physical gifts wear out. I understand RB's have short careers, but the RB's that fizzle out are the ones that constantly bash into opposing players with violence. Barkley makes people miss and doesn't take unnecessary hits. He's a big back, but he doesn't play like a dumb brute.

I understand the argument to never take a RB that high, but I don't agree with it. You have to judge every player in a case by case situation, and in Barkley's case, I see a guy that can play at an elite level for at least 7-8 years. 7-8 years of elite football is plenty for me.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's far more than a "solid RB" though. Barkley will be the league's premier RB...or at least in the top 3, if you ask me. He's the most talented RB prospect since Peterson and literally does EVERYTHING at a high-elite level. The difference between Barkley and the next back (Guice IMO) is extremely wide. It's like passing on Ezekiel Elliot because you can get Kenyan Drake or CJ Prosise. Saquon changes everything for this offense. People stay up at night terrified of Barkley. Nobody is terrified of the second tier backs in this class.

I don't expect Barkley to have a short career. He is an elite receiving back that can become Kevin Faulk into his mid 30's once his physical gifts wear out. I understand RB's have short careers, but the RB's that fizzle out are the ones that constantly bash into opposing players with violence. Barkley makes people miss and doesn't take unnecessary hits. He's a big back, but he doesn't play like a dumb brute.

I understand the argument to never take a RB that high, but I don't agree with it. You have to judge every player in a case by case situation, and in Barkley's case, I see a guy that can play at an elite level for at least 7-8 years. 7-8 years of elite football is plenty for me.

????????????????????????????????

Preach

????????????????????????????????

Don't be stupid and draft Saquon Barkley #1 overall and maybe get a QB later on with the next high selection they have.  Only reason they should do not draft him #1 overall would be if a team is willing to trade, and give a ton for that #1 pick to select one of the overrated California QBs.  

1- Barkley

4- Darnold or Lamar Jackson maybe Josh Allen depending on what happens in the interviews in the process 

Would be like Chargers adding LT and Brees back in the day..... LT should have went first in that draft, and at 4 Browns will still have a great chance of landing a franchise QB. winning formula

If we don’t take Darnold at #1, he won’t be there at #4. Teams aren’t stupid. If we are sitting at 4, all of the QB-needy teams (& there are a lot of them within striking distance) will leapfrog us with IND and take him. So we’ll miss out on our QB. If there’s a QB worth taking at 4, he’s  worth taking at 1. If we get cute and try to get our guy later on, we’re going to lose. 

I don't get why clevland doesn't stay at 1 pick the qb of choice giants take the next one. And trade up from 4 to 3 to get barkley. 

If you can get 2 franchise cornerstones on one side of the ball you do it.  I'm sure all it would take is a 3rd to move up.

Teams aren't gonna spend an extra first to grab Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson we're overvaluing them at that point.  Mahomes and Watson didn't even go top 10 and they were better prospects. 

Okay...

Not a Browns fan, but no animosity towards them, either...so, that in mind, hear me out. :)

Rosen has proved himself to be a whiny little *****, but as the most starter-ready QB commodity in this draft, he's incredibly valuable, even though he's made it clear he doesn't want to play for the Browns. 

So, what then? Well...there are tons of trade scenarios, including actually drafting Rosen and then dangling him out there, if it comes to that. 

I think they should tuck it away, play all the way to the Giants, give them the pick for a reasonable deal (whether the Giants want Rosen or Darnold, really) and go from there.

Why? And how? There will be offers flying EVERYWHERE at the top of the draft this year. And you've got #4 in your pocket.

Take the Giants offer (over Buffalo's, Denver's, etc.), then draft Barkley at #2. 

Then, the Colts...will probably have an offer they can't refuse for #3, and so are out of things--hard to imagine them really valuing someone like Chubb over some big offer for a QB prospect. A chance they would have stayed put for Barkley, but that's gone now.

#4 the Browns take Darnold or Mayfield (in my estimation, hopefully for Browns fans, Mayfield), and go from there. With absolutely no clear reason that Kizer can't improve.

I'm gonna make a mock hinging around this scenario, I think...

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Actually from what I am reading on NFL.com, the separation between Barkley and Guice as 1st round prospects isn't that great, they are both top 10 types and the term 'most talented RB prospect since Peterson' is way over used, especially before he has run at the Combine.

For me, I usually wait to see how a prospect performs at the Senior Bowl/Combine before anointing him, college game film is a flimsy way to make a final call and a lot of All Pro/HoF type RB's especially in this passing era, have come in rounds 2 or 3.

If he demonstrates at the Combine, the traits you have already given him, then by all means, I could see him go top 5, but even Peterson didn't get taken that high???

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't get why clevland doesn't stay at 1 pick the qb of choice giants take the next one. And trade up from 4 to 3 to get barkley. 

If you can get 2 franchise cornerstones on one side of the ball you do it.  I'm sure all it would take is a 3rd to move up.

Teams aren't gonna spend an extra first to grab Mayfield, Allen, or Jackson we're overvaluing them at that point.  Mahomes and Watson didn't even go top 10 and they were better prospects. 

Given the rate RB's have gone top 5 in this passing era(zero), why would anybody trade up to get Barkley. Trade ups in the top 5 only involve getting a QB, nobody trades up to get a RB who in all likelihood, will still be there at #4 if they really want to use that high a pick on a RB. Until Barkley runs a 4.40 or better at the Combine, nobody knows for sure, just how good a prospect he is, last I checked, the difference between him and Guice was minimal!!!

As for Watson and Mahomes, their ranking at draft time was not as high as Jackson's and only around where Mayfield sits and for Mayfield, it will all come down to his height when he measures in at the Combine. Teams may well give up a very high pick to draft either Mayfield or Jackson!!! Teams will always pay a premium for a QB, the position demands the price,

14 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

Actually from what I am reading on NFL.com, the separation between Barkley and Guice as 1st round prospects isn't that great, they are both top 10 types and the term 'most talented RB prospect since Peterson' is way over used, especially before he has run at the Combine.

For me, I usually wait to see how a prospect performs at the Senior Bowl/Combine before anointing him, college game film is a flimsy way to make a final call and a lot of All Pro/HoF type RB's especially in this passing era, have come in rounds 2 or 3.

If he demonstrates at the Combine, the traits you have already given him, then by all means, I could see him go top 5, but even Peterson didn't get taken that high???

Peterson had injury concerns which were overblown, but was the legit reason why he slid. Also that draft had a ton of other blue chippers in it at the top which pushed him down.

Barkley should destroy the combine from everything I’ve heard and seen. I agree people anoint a RB every year as the new “once in a generation RB,” but this time it’s warranted. I ranked the RBs in of the last 10 years as such:

Barkley

Gurley

Fournette

Elliot

those are the only guys that I have seen in the last 10 years that warranted top 5 selections in their respective draft classes. Barkley is at the top of that list. And to be honest, I liked Elliot, but saw him as significantly below the other three in terms of transcendent talents. Barkley is going to change a teams fortunes as a rookie of you have halfway competent blocking. 

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Okay...

Not a Browns fan, but no animosity towards them, either...so, that in mind, hear me out. :)

Rosen has proved himself to be a whiny little *****, but as the most starter-ready QB commodity in this draft, he's incredibly valuable, even though he's made it clear he doesn't want to play for the Browns. 

So, what then? Well...there are tons of trade scenarios, including actually drafting Rosen and then dangling him out there, if it comes to that. 

I think they should tuck it away, play all the way to the Giants, give them the pick for a reasonable deal (whether the Giants want Rosen or Darnold, really) and go from there.

Why? And how? There will be offers flying EVERYWHERE at the top of the draft this year. And you've got #4 in your pocket.

Take the Giants offer (over Buffalo's, Denver's, etc.), then draft Barkley at #2. 

Then, the Colts...will probably have an offer they can't refuse for #3, and so are out of things--hard to imagine them really valuing someone like Chubb over some big offer for a QB prospect. A chance they would have stayed put for Barkley, but that's gone now.

#4 the Browns take Darnold or Mayfield (in my estimation, hopefully for Browns fans, Mayfield), and go from there. With absolutely no clear reason that Kizer can't improve.

I'm gonna make a mock hinging around this scenario, I think...

Why would the Giants trade up when they will get either Darold or Rosen, just by sitting there?????

First, Rosen's injury record will make it impossible for him to pass Darnold in the draft and besides that, those on NFL.com love Darnold along with a # of NFL GM's, so Darnold is going to be the 1st QB off the board. Second, The Browns have no way of knowing what the prognosis is on Luck's injury and whether or not he can ever return as the player he was, so Indy may well just take a QB at #3. The Giants will take Rosen at #2 and the Browns will end up with no QB. Even if Indy trades the pick to a QB desperate team, the Browns will have to settle for the # 3 QB in the draft, a scenario, I simply cannot believe they would ever consider. they will draft the #1 QB on their board, after all, it is the most important position on a football team by a mile!!!

I can guarantee you, that the Brown's owner will absolutely insist that they take a QB #1 overall in the draft, their GM will have no choice in that scenario.

As for drafting Barkley at #2, where have all you people been for the last 15 years??? The # of RB in this passing era that have gone top 5 in the draft = zero. even Peterson lasted till the #6 pick!!! The chances of Barkley getting picked in the top 5 is rather slim, especially since according to scouts on NFL.com, Guice is rated closely behind him, which makes me think that perhaps Barkley is simply being overrated at this point and until he proves to be sensational at the Combine, he has no chance to go top 5???

Archived