GB's and Jerry Straps: Ravens at Dallas

HDsportsfan

13 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I guess this 2nd thread is because the other one is overflowing ... kidding 

Haha....tex and I had the same thoughts. I had one job, I did well.

I don't care, mine was a few minutes before his. Again, funny we said the same thing.

Close this one or merge the two. *shrug*

Gameballs ..

Well, obviously Aubrey, cause, Aubrey 

But Tyler Smith deserves one for trying so hard to compensate for the two rookies he plays between. Several times he had to annihilate his guy fast to come back around to help a rookie. Going so far as to have a hand on two guys at once in 3 separate occasions, though one of them resulted in Beebee taking him out of position and then Guyton falling over him. But the left side of that line was a sh---- show yesterday and Smith did everything he could to rescue it. He deserves some kudos.

DeMarcus Lawrence, for being the only front 7 defender to not over pursue on every read option Baltimore ran. It didn't help any. But at least he looked prepared and stayed in position. He might not be a game wrecker, but give me 4 guys like him on my DL over a group who all want to be flashy sack artists any day.

Jocks...where to begin?

Guyton first. He has looked lost for 3 straight games. He can't set the edge in protection. He gets no push in the run game even though he is lightening fast off the snap. And stumbles over it into Smith with regularity. He's going to cause Smith a major ankle or knee problem before this season is over, I can almost guarantee it. He is dangerous to have out there right now. Not just for Dak and the offense. But for Smiths health.

Cooper Beebe deserves one for not once. Not twice. Both three times. But FOUR individual times engaging the wrong man after the snap and allowing a free rusher into Daks face. His mechanics are there, the power is there, the footwork is there. The mental part just isn't. 

Parsons. Over pursuit is a killer on defense. He was always closest to the ball carrier because he is so fast and athletic to make up ground quickly. But as the star of this defense he cannot over pursue like that and get caught out of position. He neutralized himself too often. Baltimore didn't scheme for him. They just ran a lot of misdirection and option plays knowing he has a track record of taking himself out of the play by trying to play hero.

Lamb. That fumble is when the entire team took a nose dive. Even if you settle for 3 there and don't put it into the end zone, this entire game looks a whole lot different and even if everything else plays out the exact same aside from the fumble and taking a FG (which could have still been a TD) instead of a turnover, this is an overtime game with a chance to win an amazing comeback victory 

The entire coaching staff. Zone coverage helps keep Lamar in front of everyone so I get the idea. But this is a man coverage team. These DBs do not play gap control. And askde from Kendricks. Neither do these LBs. Terrible idea. And how do you not attack the outside edges in the run game? Deuces speed got him a few decent runs against what is a rather slow LB group in Btimkre. They are tough and tackle well. But Deuce had the speed to work the edges and he never got the chance to do so. Why is Dowdle working at the heart of a very physical defensive front? Our weakness against their strength is not going to work in our favor. And if the pressure is killing the passing game. Why are you sticking to a passing concept that requires good protection and why did you change to a quick timing offense when the game was already out of hand? That should have happened in the second Q, not halfway through the 4th.

GB: Aubrey. From the nailed 65 yarder, to the successful onside kick, to Justin Tucker being nervous in his presence and missing… it was just a great day for the best kicker in the league. 

I was really trying to find someone else but I can’t. I thought maybe Ferguson but that false start really hurt us early when we were trying to start fast. I thought maybe Dak, but the 3 quarters of punts, missed passes, self caused fumbles, and under thrown deep balls really set us back. He threw to Ferguson on 3rd down in double coverage and it was almost picked, but he had Lamb open on the sideline. They started infighting. Kyle Hamilton dropped a pick because Ferguson tackled him in the seam, and then Brandin Cooks had to PI a defender to break up another pick. Despite his final stat line I can’t in good faith give Dak a GB after all that. 

JS: Tyler Guyton, Terrence Steele, Tyler Smith, Cooper Bebe, and Zack Martin. No protection and no push in the run game. CD LAMB. Drops, fumbles, and sideline tantrums!? What’s your momma got to say about this one? Mike Zimmer. Im already ready for you to be gone. Our DTs all of them, MICAH PARSONS: all that ish you were talking and then you get toasted by the read option on the first drive. And then seen yelling at DLaw. Bout tired of his antics.  Trevon Diggs MAYBE GUARD THE STICKS ON 3rd DOWN AT THE END!? The hell are you 15 yards past the sticks with the game on the line? Carson, i’ll be nice because you’re a rookie so I’ll just say you suck balls. Erick Kendricks for allowing that last Lamar run right up the middle to seal it. Mike McCarthy your run scheme is garbage, I won’t give one to Dak but Jerry Jones, and Stephen jones for pouring all of our cap space into one player who can’t do it on his own and allowing our roster to be annihilated. 

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

GB: Aubrey. From the nailed 65 yarder, to the successful onside kick, to Justin Tucker being nervous in his presence and missing… it was just a great day for the best kicker in the league. 

I was really trying to find someone else but I can’t. I thought maybe Ferguson but that false start really hurt us early when we were trying to start fast. I thought maybe Dak, but the 3 quarters of punts, missed passes, self caused fumbles, and under thrown deep balls really set us back. He threw to Ferguson on 3rd down in double coverage and it was almost picked, but he had Lamb open on the sideline. They started infighting. Kyle Hamilton dropped a pick because Ferguson tackled him in the seam, and then Brandin Cooks had to PI a defender to break up another pick. Despite his final stat line I can’t in good faith give Dak a GB after all that. 

JS: Tyler Guyton, Terrence Steele, Tyler Smith, Cooper Bebe, and Zack Martin. No protection and no push in the run game. CD LAMB. Drops, fumbles, and sideline tantrums!? What’s your momma got to say about this one? Mike Zimmer. Im already ready for you to be gone. Our DTs all of them, MICAH PARSONS: all that ish you were talking and then you get toasted by the read option on the first drive. And then seen yelling at DLaw. Bout tired of his antics.  Trevon Diggs MAYBE GUARD THE STICKS ON 3rd DOWN AT THE END!? The hell are you 15 yards past the sticks with the game on the line? Carson, i’ll be nice because you’re a rookie so I’ll just say you suck balls. Erick Kendricks for allowing that last Lamar run right up the middle to seal it. Mike McCarthy your run scheme is garbage, I won’t give one to Dak but Jerry Jones, and Stephen jones for pouring all of our cap space into one player who can’t do it on his own and allowing our roster to be annihilated. 

I'm with you on Zimmer getting the ousting. It is clearly not working and a very bad fit for the personnel to change the system so dramatically. Could it work in time? Maybe so. But this team doesn't have time. Drop him now and let someone step in who is familiar with what worked for the last 3 seasons who has earned a promotion.

It might be too early in Al Harris' career to rely on him to call the defense but if they don't promote him soon he will be gone. And he has been the best coach on the staff for several years now. First Diggs and Lewis. Then Bland. Now Carson, who is a little over his head, but still playing well for what he is. He deserved. And still deserves. A chance at running the defense. He can still be in charge of the corners and defer to the experience of some of the other veteran coaches when it comes to the tougher stuff, like weekly game planning. But his experience in DQs system and what he's done with the corners since he has been here, I think he deserves a real opportunity to step in as DC and see if he can bring a touch of that magic to entire unit.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

I agree with most of what’s been said here.

The thing that feels totally unfixable to me is the interior DL. It’s such a disaster and I think it’s impacting the second level significantly - players not trusting their teammates up front, and it’s causing them to mess up their own plays, bite on fakes, etc.

Whiffing so badly on Mazi is going to be one of the most consequential draft misses for Dallas in a long time. That one stunk from high heaven from the beginning… the workout freak who didn’t want to work out.

If we are hoping to win this year, I think they have to make a move for a DT before the deadline. But I’m feeling inclined to let it burn, get a higher draft choice, and hope the Joneses finally decide to hire a modern NFL coach.

30 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Whiffing so badly on Mazi is going to be one of the most consequential draft misses for Dallas in a long time. That one stunk from high heaven from the beginning… the workout freak who didn’t want to work out.

Yep. As one of his few draft supporters, I’m afraid this on point. Mazi is bad at football. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The thing that feels totally unfixable to me is the interior DL.

Agreed. I mean, they already signed Joseph and Phillips. They may have put Phillips on IR with a possibly made up wrist injury, but it would just be so unlike this team to go out and spend significant resources at this spot before the deadline.