Christmas Eve Mock

Armsteeld2

Just now, JLambert58 said:

Fair enough.  I agree the TEs have not been used for maximum effect.  But one of the reasons is, we don't have that difference maker on the roster.  I like James and McDonald for different reasons, but having a big-time pass catching TE might be that weapon that will open up the rest of the offense on a more frequent basis.  

McDonald is gone after this season unless he takes a huge paycut...so TE will be a need.   I wouldnt revolt, but I guess Im just more concerned with addressing bigger needs.

3 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Fair enough.  I agree the TEs have not been used for maximum effect.  But one of the reasons is, we don't have that difference maker on the roster.  I like James and McDonald for different reasons, but having a big-time pass catching TE might be that weapon that will open up the rest of the offense on a more frequent basis.  

I agree with both of your.  I was going to go with this guy in the 3rd but felt Bell would be back and we also drafted Connor in the 3rd this past draft. He is a big RB who excels at returning kicks and is solid in the passing game.

RB Rashaad Penny 5'11 227

Not to be that guy...

I like those prospects very much, I do trust me. I just don't see it and don't agree with the way draft went.

Our safeties are the worst starter to depth positions on the roster. Expect high pick in this position.

I don't see an inside linebacker who can do what Shazier do- don't think they will immediately look for somebody to replace him either, likely a multi-faceted safety. 

I don't see the first pick happening either, look I want a better pass rusher much as the next guy but he needs to have the ability to drop back in the coverage, our pass rushers are multi-faceted, Dupree is doing just fine in this area. Watt is excelling at his position as well.

While it's nice to find a tight end who can replace James, I don't see it, expect raw athletic tight end who is really good at blocking. Probably a wide receiver too.

It's not about what I like or think should be, it's how Butler showed his cards and I think I'm seeing his objective. It's to get 3 and out much as possible and let our offense do the damages. The players you listed- I don't see them helping.

8 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Only thing I wouldnt like is TE in 3rd.  James is underrated and underutilized.  He is upgradable, but I doubt any 3rd rounder would be a notable upgrade.

Also, if Bell leaves, RB becomes a big need.

too bad Connor didn't get more reps and of course injured with tor MCL. Does MCL tear heal as well as ACL for a RB?  If Bell goes to another team, then I can see a high pick for RB even if Connor returns appearing healthy.  Of course there is always UFA, but wait and see. I don't even know who the UFA RB's will be in 2018. Of course , what if Ben retires and we lose Bell, I would expect RD1 QB unless UFA and RD2 RB unless UFA.

21 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

too bad Connor didn't get more reps and of course injured with tor MCL. Does MCL tear heal as well as ACL for a RB?  If Bell goes to another team, then I can see a high pick for RB even if Connor returns appearing healthy.  Of course there is always UFA, but wait and see. I don't even know who the UFA RB's will be in 2018. Of course , what if Ben retires and we lose Bell, I would expect RD1 QB unless UFA and RD2 RB unless UFA.

MCL is generally considered a less serious injury than an ACL I believe.  The MCL governs the inner stabilization of the knee whereas the ACL keeps top stabilization.  ACL injury indicates a twisting of the knee, MCL more so a hit from the outside in.  

My post about wanting more DBs was geared towards a combination of upgrading BOTH safety positions, and also more depth at CB.  So a 5th round DB isn't exactly what I have in mind.  Of course, I do agree we need to upgrade the other positions as well, but they're not nearly as pressing as S (except for ILB with Shazier out).  The guy in this mock looks more like a developmental S to me with his hitting.  I like what I see.  I love Haden.  Burns is merely ok.  Hilton I LOVE in the slot, but he's very limited to an inside-only, blitz-oriented guy IMO.  I want more boundary corners that can play man.  I'd love to pick up both Isaiah Oliver and Josh Jackson for CB.  Maybe a guy like your guy in this mock and maybe see about Brian Allen at S next year.  I lost a lot of faith in Davis this year, and I've wanted Mitchell gone for a few years now.  

9 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

My post about wanting more DBs was geared towards a combination of upgrading BOTH safety positions, and also more depth at CB.  So a 5th round DB isn't exactly what I have in mind.  Of course, I do agree we need to upgrade the other positions as well, but they're not nearly as pressing as S (except for ILB with Shazier out).  The guy in this mock looks more like a developmental S to me with his hitting.  I like what I see.  I love Haden.  Burns is merely ok.  Hilton I LOVE in the slot, but he's very limited to an inside-only, blitz-oriented guy IMO.  I want more boundary corners that can play man.  I'd love to pick up both Isaiah Oliver and Josh Jackson for CB.  Maybe a guy like your guy in this mock and maybe see about Brian Allen at S next year.  I lost a lot of faith in Davis this year, and I've wanted Mitchell gone for a few years now.  

I agree about Mitchell.  Slow and he takes bad angles to the ball.  Don't forget about Sutton who was taken in the 3rd round.  He's getting playing time now but does such a good job that one barely notices he's on the field.  Brian Allen is nowhere near good/physical enough to be a Safety.  Too soft and doesn't like contact.  Ronnie Harrison is my dream pick for Safety or Armani Watts in the mid rounds.  Davis has NO awareness to be effective versus the pass.  Another super athlete but marginal football player.

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Not to be that guy...

I like those prospects very much, I do trust me. I just don't see it and don't agree with the way draft went.

Our safeties are the worst starter to depth positions on the roster. Expect high pick in this position.

I don't see an inside linebacker who can do what Shazier do- don't think they will immediately look for somebody to replace him either, likely a multi-faceted safety. 

I don't see the first pick happening either, look I want a better pass rusher much as the next guy but he needs to have the ability to drop back in the coverage, our pass rushers are multi-faceted, Dupree is doing just fine in this area. Watt is excelling at his position as well.

While it's nice to find a tight end who can replace James, I don't see it, expect raw athletic tight end who is really good at blocking. Probably a wide receiver too.

It's not about what I like or think should be, it's how Butler showed his cards and I think I'm seeing his objective. It's to get 3 and out much as possible and let our offense do the damages. The players you listed- I don't see them helping.

Interesting take.  Our Safeties suck but if a talent like Clelin falls in your laps you draft him.  Derwin James is a fantasy.  Ronnie Harrison would be ideal but I think Steelers want someone more athletic.  Value is in the pass rusher and a multifacted beast of an ILB.  Remember that Steelers desperately tried signing Donte Hightower.  Vince Williams isn't someone they love.  I suggest you watch more of Evans.  Minus speed, he is a better prospect than Shazier was.  More well rounded and doesn't miss tackles.  Dupree probably has 4 sacks and none are where he beat an OT.  He gets the leftover sacks after someone flushed the QB to him.  We've played some bad QBs with some average to bad OL and Dupree still can't produce.  Dupree is a great athlete but bad football player.  Watch some games and then you will see that TE is a solid backer.  McDonald could come back but there's no guarantee.  James is a plodder and someone the Steelers don't love.  Why?  Because they traded to get Vance here.  Every DC wants to get 3 and outs so that is no revelation.  All of my first 3 selections could potentially go in the 1st round but it depends on individual testing as they've proven that they are good players.

7 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

My post about wanting more DBs was geared towards a combination of upgrading BOTH safety positions, and also more depth at CB.  So a 5th round DB isn't exactly what I have in mind. 

I'm a firm believer in Sean Davis plays fine, the problem is his tandem partner back there.  Mitchell does Davis no favors in terms of what he does.  Davis plays well in the box, is a good run support player, and with help can cover TE's.  I think if we get a new FS who actually covers, most of the complaints about Davis will go away.

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I'm a firm believer in Sean Davis plays fine, the problem is his tandem partner back there.  Mitchell does Davis no favors in terms of what he does.  Davis plays well in the box, is a good run support player, and with help can cover TE's.  I think if we get a new FS who actually covers, most of the complaints about Davis will go away.

^^^ what he said. Mitchell at this point is almost guaranteed to get cut if we want to retain Bell anyway. 

I'd be game to sign Cody Davis and draft Whitehead.

3 minutes ago, Armsteeld2 said:

You're a big fan of Cody Davis. Why?

I'm not. He's just a good coverage free safety that's going to be a free agent. You can get him cheap. I'm a bigger fan of other safety but under the circumstance with Bell's contract situation, I don't see us having the luxury of signing a good free safety. Cody Davis makes sense and would be a good stop-gap.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I'm not. He's just a good coverage free safety that's going to be a free agent. You can get him cheap. I'm a bigger fan of other safety but under the circumstance with Bell's contract situation, I don't see us having the luxury of signing a good free safety. Cody Davis makes sense and would be a good stop-gap.

I respect that.

Archived