*EDIT* With the 6th Pick, the Colts select......

Wyld Stallyns

It isn’t entirely certain yet but depending on the outcome of games next week the Colts will be sitting in the 3rd spot in the draft. It’s possible the Colts could win and still pick 3rd because of SOS (strength of schedule). Right now the Colts SOS is 48% and the Texans and Buccaneers are well over 50%. A Colts loss and a Giants win would give the Colts the 2nd pick but that relies on the Giants winning against the Redskins. 

With that said the next thing to determine is who will be available at pick #3. Does Cleveland stay at 1? Do they pick a QB?  (I honestly think Cleveland could put Kizer through what Carolina did to Jimmy Clausen) Does their potential trade partner take a QB? If one of Darnold or Rosen is taken will the Giants take the other? Will someone trade up to take the other? (I think New York takes the other QB) 

Who is BPA and would the Colts have offers to trade down if both top QBs are gone? Would someone trade up to 3 for a non QB?  (I doubt this) Some “draft people” say that the Colts SHOULDN’T draft a RB at 3 and that no OT is worthy of #3. So is it Bradley Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick? Or is there even a debate, Pass Rusher is clearly the Colts biggest need. Chubb has been compared to Derek Barnett a 4-3 DE for Philly. I didn’t necessarily want Barnett for that reason last year. 

The other day a forum member made a mock draft suggesting the Colts potential  new coaching staff might favor a switch to a 4-3 and then drafting Chubb would be a no brainer. 

Our starting D as 4-3

Sheard - Hankins - Woods - Chubb/Anderson (pass/Run) 

Mingo (SAM) Simon (MIKE) - Walker (WILL) 

Melvin - Geathers - Hooker - Wilson 

- this is dependent on Melvin and Mingo being resigned.

- I could also see Bostic brought back and pushing Simon to SAM and Walker inside. 

- Basham DE, would also swap in on passing downs

- Anderson and Margus Hunt would rotate in on multiple spots on the DL so not starting doesn’t mean not playing. 

- condensing our starting linebacking corps from 4 to 3 still leaves us with little depth. 

- Hairston and Farley as backups give us solid depth but we need to replace TJ Green. He’s garbage.

alternative picks 

CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick 

RB Saquon Barkley 

OT Connor Williams 

OG Quentin Nelson  

My lack of knowledge regarding college prospects right now, and still being a full 3 weeks before the deadline to declare leaves me with no alternative options for the third pick. 

Hopefully this becomes more clear in the next few weeks but I suspect it won’t until the coaching decision is made.

Nice write up. My problem, or problem with the idea of going back to a 4-3, is the inconsistency of our offense. Our previous franchise almost always got off to quick start (other than the Pats), and opposing offenses couldn't really expose the lack of stoutness of our front 7. Now we are stout...but are we mobile and athletic enough to handle a good passing game when we dont have a lead? How many really fit that new scheme?  I do think about it though...

What would a legitimate play option scenario do for this offense.....

8 hours ago, Warhorse said:

Nice write up. My problem, or problem with the idea of going back to a 4-3, is the inconsistency of our offense. Our previous franchise almost always got off to quick start (other than the Pats), and opposing offenses couldn't really expose the lack of stoutness of our front 7. Now we are stout...but are we mobile and athletic enough to handle a good passing game when we dont have a lead? How many really fit that new scheme?  I do think about it though...

What would a legitimate play option scenario do for this offense.....

I actually think everyone in our front 7 has primarily played 4-3 before coming here. Mingo and Sheard might have been in Cleveland when they flirted with a 3-4 but that didn’t last and by the time they moved to NE they were running 4-3. Woods with Tenn was a 4-3 until recently. Hunt with Cinn was a 4-3. Simon was a MLB in Balt before switching to OLB with Hou. Bostic was in 4-3 with Chi and NE. Hankins was a NT in NY’s 4-3 until they picked up Snacks and he moved to UT. 

As for pass defense I agree, without a legitimate pass rush OR a secondary that can choke down on the passing game we can’t handle opposing offenses. And stopping TEs is already a nightmare now. 

I use play option and screens in the Colts offense in Madden just to get more time in the pocket for downfield passes. 

I see either pick as big time. Even if the high quality QB's don't appear to reach the third pick, teams will go after them. The rise of a couple QB's recently who were not blue chippers reminds them that you have to keep trying until you get it right. This draft, 2nd or 3rd, may prove to be monumental. I am SO glad it is in Chris's hands. 

Planning on a third so I am not disappointed. BTW, I dont agree that an LT is not worthy of a first round pick. If we could take a clone of Tarik Glenn at 3, I would wager that nearly any GM in the NFL would make that move. That said, we have a LT. Are we talking about draft a RT?

Nice write up. To me, for now, it is Saquon Barkley or Quenton Nelson.

Barkley because he is not a RB but a special RB. Without him in this class i would not consider a RB early as Mack showed good things and it is a deep class so you can find a Gore's replacement later in the 4th (or in the 3rd if someone slips). But Barkley can run inside, run outside, is very good in pass protection, outstanding in the passing game for a RB and can return kick (even if i would not use him much on ST). And his character ? Great. Humble, coachable as he is willing to learn and has work ethic, nice teammate. If someone can tell me a fault for him ?

Nelson because he is a GREAT guard. Great in running game, very good in pass protection. Id love for Luck to have him between Castonzo and Kelly.

I like a lot Chubb but if the team stay put in a 34 it would not be a smart move and it would remind me of that mistake to select Bjorn Werner and trying to play him as an 34 OLB ! Chubb is much better but...If the team switch to a 43, Chubb would be a rock solid pick but id still think Barkley or Nelson would be better picks.

Best scenario could be having the #2 with both Rosen and Darnold declaring and having a team (Broncos ? Jets ? Cards ?) willing to trade-up for one of them. The team could get nice picks to rebuild and still a nice talent in the top 10 to select (Roquan Smith ?). Just read than Giants' sos is 53 and Colts' one 48. So thats possible with a Giants and Texans wins.

Colts and Giants win ? Colts are locked into the 3rd Pick and the Top 4 picks are set 

1. Browns

2. Giants 

3. Colts 

4. Browns (from Houston) 

if the Buccaneers lose to the Saints they will have the 5 pick and will set up this scenario 

Rounds 1, 4 and 7) 3 Colts, 4 Texans, 5 Buccaneers 

Round 2 and 5) 3 Texans, 4 Buccaneers, 5 Colts

Round 3 and 6) 3 Buccaneers, 4 Colts, 5 Texans 

If the Buccaneers win the scenario is as follows 

odd # rounds ) 3 Colts, 4 Texans 

even # rounds ) 3 Texans, 4 Colts 

Saquon Barkley would be a really nice pick but we have to make sure our franchise QB is kept upright as we've seen how poor we are without him. 

I reckon it may be Chubb or Connor Williams providing he's not having injury issues leading up to the draft.

• 3 weeks later...

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Indianapolis-Colts-Mock-Draft-Monday-Jan-29/9f90d952-d8ba-4c3f-b52c-e8ffcaf0593a

13 different mock drafts, no selections for Saquon Barkley. 

-Bradley Chubb (10) - Jeremiah and Brooks (NFL Network/Move the Sticks), Kiper and McShay (ESPN), Matt Miller Bleacher Report, Josh Norris (Rotoworld), R.J. White (CBS Sports), WalterFootball (x2), and Kadar (SB Nation) 

- Maurice Hurst (1) - Steve Palazzolo Pro Football Focus

- Orlando Brown (1) - Erik Galko Sporting News 

- Minkah Fitzpatrick (1) Chris Trapasso CBS Sports

I can see taking most of these guys after trading down but not at #3. 

I do love Hurst, Fitzpatrick would be great but Orlando Brown is not a top 15 Pick let alone worthy of 3rd overall. 

Archived