Best move of the offseason

UKTexans

So with the majority of trades/FA signings complete and the draft long since completed, who do you think did the best piece of business?

Can be your own team or another, can even be hiring a GM or cutting a player.

For the Texans it has to be getting Osweiler out the door for only a slight loss this year.

If the year off has done his body and mind some good the Raiders picking up Marshawn Lynch could be at the top of the list...his physicality behind that Oakland OL and with Carr meaning teams can't load up the box could lead to a pretty spectacular return and a deep playoff run.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If the year off has done his body and mind some good the Raiders picking up Marshawn Lynch could be at the top of the list...his physicality behind that Oakland OL and with Carr meaning teams can't load up the box could lead to a pretty spectacular return and a deep playoff run.

The Lynch acquisition could payoff big for Oakland.

I don't think it will immediately lead to wins this season, but Cleveland boosting its offensive line should see them benefit tremendously once they get a legitimate starter at quarterback. 

For the 49ers: 

From a free agency perspective, there's not a move that I'm completely in love with. Garcon should have the biggest impact, but that was a lot of money to spend on a guy who is going to fade in the next few years I would imagine. Plus, he's not a number one or anything. He's just a reliable target monster for this team. Still doesn't solve the redzone woes, however. Honestly, I'm probably going to say Hoyer was the best move. His contract is very solid (it's a good deal for a back up quarterback, but wouldn't have even been the best last year), and it allowed for them to be patient at the quarterback position with possibly better options next year rather than overpaying a Mike Glennon or drafting a guy that I don't think there would have been a lot of belief in. So he starts this year, and maybe next year (if we draft a quarterback who is not read), or converts to one of the better back ups in the league. 

For the draft, it was easily that trade with the Bears. From a player standpoint, the Foster pick at the end of round one could end up being huge. 

Draft is too much of a crapshoot, so I wont place any judgments there, yet.

Pats trading for Cooks could be a great one.   Im not usually a fan of trades like that, but that seems like it could take the offense to the next level...and they were already top notch.

And the Browns made some nice moves in fixing up their OLine.

To be honest, there werent really any individual moves that blew me away, this offseason.    I liked several drafts, though, but as I said...too early to judge.

I'm not fully sold on Alshon Jeffrey as a true #1, but signing him to a 1 year deal and giving Wentz a real option is easy to be excited about.  Also, really liked us acquiring Jernigan to take some of the pressure off Cox.  Losing Bennie Logan will hurt, but it seems Jernigan can offer more of a pass rush than Bennie could.  

Eagles: Trading for Tim Jernigan, after losing Bennie Logan, our defensive line was going to be a shell of itself, compound that with our horrendous cornerback situation it was looking pretty scary, but we got Jernigan a good disrupter for pretty cheap.

Hate to say it, but the Jags were flirting with a top 10 defense and put in the money to round it out with DE Calais Campbell, S Barry Church and CB AJ Bouye. All three are blue collar guys, nothing too flashy - but solid contributors to a young and dynamic defense.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Hate to say it, but the Jags were flirting with a top 10 defense and put in the money to round it out with DE Calais Campbell, S Barry Church and CB AJ Bouye. All three are blue collar guys, nothing too flashy - but solid contributors to a young and dynamic defense.

"Solid"???

Campbell is top 5 at worst as an interior DL. Bouye was playing like a top 15 CB last year.

Church is a "solid" player, but Campbell and Bouye are very good players from everything I've seen.

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"Solid"???

Campbell is top 5 at worst as an interior DL. Bouye was playing like a top 15 CB last year.

Church is a "solid" player, but Campbell and Bouye are very good players from everything I've seen.

Perhaps I was selling Campbell short, but I'm always weary of a 30+ year old DL who hits the market with very little effort to resign him.

As far as Bouye is concerned - you have one year of stellar play that you saw. I have one year of stellar play along with two years of play that can be best described as inconsistent (at worst, could be described as a liability).

Who knows - maybe he turned a corner. Maybe he played up during a contract year. But, from everything I've seen, I'm slightly hesitant to call him "very" good. 

Archived