Best move of the offseason

UKTexans

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Perhaps I was selling Campbell short, but I'm always weary of a 30+ year old DL who hits the market with very little effort to resign him.

As far as Bouye is concerned - you have one year of stellar play that you saw. I have one year of stellar play along with two years of play that can be best described as inconsistent (at worst, could be described as a liability).

Who knows - maybe he turned a corner. Maybe he played up during a contract year. But, from everything I've seen, I'm slightly hesitant to call him "very" good. 

I think the Houston pass rush played a big role in him being good, but the Jaguars will have a pretty good pass rush this year IMO and they have guys to support him in the secondary.

Campbell is a monster. Arizona simply wasn't in a position to pay him that kind of money and like you said, they can't afford to bank on a 30 year old DL right now. Denver offered him something similar (but slightly less) too so it's not like anyone would give him cash. Seeing as Campbell's game is built on power and technique, I don't see his level of play going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, I hope his career isn't wasted in Jacksonville. As an avid fan, I was hoping that he wouldn't garner so much money on the market. Stupid me I guess, but he could have really helped potential contending teams with mediocre defenses. New Orleans (if they hadn't resigned Fairley), Oakland, Denver (obviously not mediocre, but they had a big need in the middle), and Green Bay would have been decent potential fits for him.

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think the Houston pass rush played a big role in him being good, but the Jaguars will have a pretty good pass rush this year IMO and they have guys to support him in the secondary.

Campbell is a monster. Arizona simply wasn't in a position to pay him that kind of money and like you said, they can't afford to bank on a 30 year old DL right now. Denver offered him something similar (but slightly less) too so it's not like anyone would give him cash. Seeing as Campbell's game is built on power and technique, I don't see his level of play going anywhere anytime soon. That being said, I hope his career isn't wasted in Jacksonville. As an avid fan, I was hoping that he wouldn't garner so much money on the market. Stupid me I guess, but he could have really helped potential contending teams with mediocre defenses. New Orleans (if they hadn't resigned Fairley), Oakland, Denver (obviously not mediocre, but they had a big need in the middle), and Green Bay would have been decent potential fits for him.

The one thing that really works for him is Jalen Ramsey is the de facto #1 CB on the Jags. Bouye is going to get some favorable matchups, or he'll be matched up against a #1 with S help for a full 60, while Ramsey just locks up a #2 with zero help.

Bouye does his best work against lanky, tall WRs, guys who run good routes and exhibit great body control in "moment of truth" balls that are up in the air. Think DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans,  AJ Green, etc. He's got really long arms and uses them well, which should pay dividends in that respect. 

Line him up against a TY Hilton or a Odell Beckham - guys who can just let it rip with speed - and Bouye isn't going to fare too well. 

As far as Campbell - admittedly haven't watched much of him, but I do agree that power DL can have a longer shelf life. Pairing him up with Malik Jackson (who can be described as a relentless guy with quickness at the POA) could benefit both. One of em is going to get loose and do damage.

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The one thing that really works for him is Jalen Ramsey is the de facto #1 CB on the Jags. Bouye is going to get some favorable matchups, or he'll be matched up against a #1 with S help for a full 60, while Ramsey just locks up a #2 with zero help.

Bouye does his best work against lanky, tall WRs, guys who run good routes and exhibit great body control in "moment of truth" balls that are up in the air. Think DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans,  AJ Green, etc. He's got really long arms and uses them well, which should pay dividends in that respect. 

Line him up against a TY Hilton or a Odell Beckham - guys who can just let it rip with speed - and Bouye isn't going to fare too well. 

As far as Campbell - admittedly haven't watched much of him, but I do agree that power DL can have a longer shelf life. Pairing him up with Malik Jackson (who can be described as a relentless guy with quickness at the POA) could benefit both. One of em is going to get loose and do damage.

I forgot to mention the Ramsey thing better. I'm not disagreeing with you much, we're basically on the same page. I think Bouye will put up elite "metrics" next year because he's gonna be on #2 receivers for Jax. it'll make him look better than he is. He won't be on the Beckhams and Hiltons.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:32 AM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I forgot to mention the Ramsey thing better. I'm not disagreeing with you much, we're basically on the same page. I think Bouye will put up elite "metrics" next year because he's gonna be on #2 receivers for Jax. it'll make him look better than he is. He won't be on the Beckhams and Hiltons.

Does Jax play matchups or sides with their CBs?

On 7/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, Forge said:

For the 49ers: 

From a free agency perspective, there's not a move that I'm completely in love with. Garcon should have the biggest impact, but that was a lot of money to spend on a guy who is going to fade in the next few years I would imagine. Plus, he's not a number one or anything. He's just a reliable target monster for this team. Still doesn't solve the redzone woes, however. Honestly, I'm probably going to say Hoyer was the best move. His contract is very solid (it's a good deal for a back up quarterback, but wouldn't have even been the best last year), and it allowed for them to be patient at the quarterback position with possibly better options next year rather than overpaying a Mike Glennon or drafting a guy that I don't think there would have been a lot of belief in. So he starts this year, and maybe next year (if we draft a quarterback who is not read), or converts to one of the better back ups in the league. 

For the draft, it was easily that trade with the Bears. From a player standpoint, the Foster pick at the end of round one could end up being huge. 

Getting rid of Trent Baalke/Chip Kelly and bringing in Kyle Shanahan to me was our shining offseason moment. Even John Lynch is looking like a brilliant decision. Everything that has come since has been because of that one moment that could end up being one of the biggest in franchise history. You know...should it work out.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:29 PM, y2lamanaki said:

Getting rid of Trent Baalke/Chip Kelly and bringing in Mike Shanahan to me was our shining offseason moment. Even John Lynch is looking like a brilliant decision. Everything that has come since has been because of that one moment that could end up being one of the biggest in franchise history. You know...should it work out.

k97dyrhavejblvgf9kpq.gif

John Lynch and Mike Shanahan should be a solid duo provided they can find a QB. Lynch being able to con the bears was pretty nice too.

For the ravens, Our biggest acquisition was Tony Jefferson or Jeremy Maclin two pro bowl caliber players when healthy that will make a massive difference. Assuming they don't go on IR like the rest of our good players.

32 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

k97dyrhavejblvgf9kpq.gif

John Lynch and Mike Shanahan should be a solid duo provided they can find a QB. Lynch being able to con the bears was pretty nice too.

For the ravens, Our biggest acquisition was Tony Jefferson or Jeremy Maclin two pro bowl caliber players when healthy that will make a massive difference. Assuming they don't go on IR like the rest of our good players.

I blame a lack of sleep.

44 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

k97dyrhavejblvgf9kpq.gif

Still think Tomsula got a bit of a raw deal. Worse team than Chip, handcuffed to an awful OC, still managed to put together a season not all that dissimilar to what Chip did last year. He probably wasn't ready to be a head coach, but its a shame that one chance, which was completely stacked against him, will likely be the only one he ever gets.

I'd say the Chargers.

Oh, that isn't what you meant?

Browns (with a ton of cap room) buying a draft pick was pretty good. You don't often see a pick and a player traded for a lesser pick. Swapping Pryor for a more expensive Britt doesn't look so good on paper.

Pats trading for Cooks looks really good on paper. Pats signing 12 running backs... head scratcher

• 2 weeks later...

I think Clevland stealing the texans two picks next year in a loaded qb draft. 

They're building a team and then getting a qb. And they got Kizer a nice prospect so they got the best chance at having stable qb play sometime soon.

Other teams I love what the Pats did trading the last pick in the first for a 23 year old pro bowl wr is phenomenal value.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Clevland stealing the texans two picks next year in a loaded qb draft. 

They're building a team and then getting a qb. And they got Kizer a nice prospect so they got the best chance at having stable qb play sometime soon.

Cleveland certainly had a nice off-season. While their moves may not pay immediate dividends this season, if they can hit on a good number of their draft picks next year and continue to develop their young players...they may end up being a tough team to deal with in a few years.

31 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

Cleveland certainly had a nice off-season. While their moves may not pay immediate dividends this season, if they can hit on a good number of their draft picks next year and continue to develop their young players...they may end up being a tough team to deal with in a few years.

Even landing a franchise qb is huge this isn't your fathers browns. They're building a team before they land a franchise qb. 

They landed two picks in the first two rounds next year while still having 3 first round picks in this past draft.

Having Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold potentially entering the draft next year only inflates their heady off season moves.

Archived