Formula 1 Thread

UKTexans

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

@sunnygsm what do you make of the rumours surrounding Kubica? I feel really bad for Palmer as he's basically a lame duck right now, but all these rumours cannot be helping his confidence. 

Could be interesting. I'd forgotten about him entirely. Suppose it doesn't help Palmer. A lot of the younger drivers are pretty inconsistent. Hard to judge how good they are. 

7 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Could be interesting. I'd forgotten about him entirely. Suppose it doesn't help Palmer. A lot of the younger drivers are pretty inconsistent. Hard to judge how good they are. 

He's had terrible luck too. 

Feel bad for him too considering I don't think his drive is due to huge sponsorship. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

These Force Indias are pretty stupid... 

They really need to learn to play nice with each other.

As Mark Webber said about it, it was stupid (he said low percentage) of Ocon to try that move there, but Perez was definitely in the wrong there imo - he had to know that Ocon would be there, especially after their coming together at the same spot on the opening lap

Thoughts from the weekend:

Hamilton was imperious 

Ferrari's were surprisingly competitive

Kimi giving Seb the tow in Q3 was suspicious in my eyes

Palmer was super unlucky AGAIN,had the 7th quickest time in Q2 then a gearbox failure pushed him to 14th.

Max with ANOTHER DNF, is getting out of hand at Red Bull. Wonder if he has grown tired of it yet. 

Great weekend for Riccy, he is just so dependable. 

Awful weekend for Bottas, completely outclassed. 

Dumb Force India's again! Ocon was optimistic, but Perez was flat out dangerous, almost 200mph.

Bad weekend for McLaren again, they looked mildly competitive until the race when Fernando was just going backwards

Excited for the rest of the season. Hope team orders don't play a part, I'm looking at you Ferrari. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

Kimi giving Seb the tow in Q3 was suspicious in my eyes

Excited for the rest of the season. Hope team orders don't play a part, I'm looking at you Ferrari. 

Team orders are going to kick in now. Merc is going to make the decision to have Hamilton be their no 1 pretty soon (if they haven't already). Ferrari already have. The tow in Q3 was odd to me. I've read people claiming that it happens all the time, but I don't think it does in reality. 

Yeah, at this point Mercedes need to prioritize Hamilton, as Ferrari have been doing for Vettel. I think Bottas will be relatively acceptant of it. Bottas needs to step his game up, though. Try to get himself infront of Vettel sometimes.

14 hours ago, kempus said:

Yeah, at this point Mercedes need to prioritize Hamilton, as Ferrari have been doing for Vettel. I think Bottas will be relatively acceptant of it. Bottas needs to step his game up, though. Try to get himself infront of Vettel sometimes.

Bottas is incredibly hot and cold. One week he looks like he can take it to Hamilton, the following week he's more than .500 off. 

Still don't understand Kimi's mindset. He was absolutely on it in FP1 and FP3. He just doesn't seem to fancy race weekends anymore. 

Story going around in Spa that Williams have offered Alonso a contract to drive for next season, presumably replacing Massa.

I imagine Fernando is very close to breaking point with Honda, if he's not already there. Just race after race of failures, and when he is racing he gets blown past on the straights by other cars.

Joining Williams would mean he would have a Mercedes engine, and be at least somewhat competitive. If this is true I can't think he isn't seriously considering it. 

It would be nice to see him actually competing in races again instead of struggling with an underpowered Honda engine.