Formula 1 Thread

UKTexans

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Glad I missed it then.

Outside of the lap one crash, nothing happened. The racing has been poor this year. The tyres + aero have made it boring. The title race is exciting, the races themselves...not so much. 

41 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Outside of the lap one crash, nothing happened. The racing has been poor this year. The tyres + aero have made it boring. The title race is exciting, the races themselves...not so much. 

What do you think the solutions are?

It's the same complaints over and over but they can't seem to solve them.

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

What do you think the solutions are?

At a minimum they need less durable tyres so that you can't do 40+ laps on Ultra Softs like Grosjean did on the weekend.

If it gets to the point where there is a debate whether 2 or 3 stops is quicker instead of everyone just doing one stop, then we'd probably see more overtaking as cars on newer/softer tyres attack those on older/harder ones and there'd be more strategy and chances for over/under cuts.

I also think they need to go further with reducing the reliance on aero for grip and make the cars narrower again, but I doubt either of those things happen any time soon

Yeah, tyres are way too durable. Even the supposed hypersofts don't degrade enough. It's at the point where it's faster to baby the car around than pit for new tyres. That needs to change. 

It's a bit of a feedback loop too. If it's harder to pass, track position is more valuable and people will avoid pitting if possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

Good day for England. Better race than expected. 

Ricard is a decent track, although I was surprised with how many overtaking spots there were. 

A lot of twists and turns left in the season, but we’ve finally got a championship that doesn’t feel like a foregone conclusion.