Formula 1 Thread

UKTexans

On 24/06/2018 at 10:28 PM, Buc Ball said:

Ricard is a decent track, although I was surprised with how many overtaking spots there were. 

A lot of twists and turns left in the season, but we’ve finally got a championship that doesn’t feel like a foregone conclusion.

Certainly one of the more interesting Championships for some time

On 11/06/2018 at 6:04 PM, drd23 said:

At a minimum they need less durable tyres so that you can't do 40+ laps on Ultra Softs like Grosjean did on the weekend.

If it gets to the point where there is a debate whether 2 or 3 stops is quicker instead of everyone just doing one stop, then we'd probably see more overtaking as cars on newer/softer tyres attack those on older/harder ones and there'd be more strategy and chances for over/under cuts.

I also think they need to go further with reducing the reliance on aero for grip and make the cars narrower again, but I doubt either of those things happen any time soon

I think there are a couple of things they can do.

One is to take yet another idea from the old CART series: clip the front and rear wings, eliminate all the other aerodynamic appendages and replace the lost downforce with partial ground effects. That is, allow two ground-effects tunnels in the undertray, but no ground effects "skirts" like they had in the 1980's. This will allow cars to follow other cars through the corners without losing nearly as much downforce as they do now, which in turn will put them in a better position to pass down the straightaways. This was proposed a few years ago but rejected for cost reasons, as teams would have had to redesign their cars from scratch.

The other thing they can do is replace DRS with a button that dials up an extra 200 horsepower (or whatever turns out to be a reasonable amount) down the straights. They may do this anyway for safety reasons.

Of course, they don't want to go overboard. Passing another car is supposed to be difficult at this level. I am also not a big fan of these complicated and artificial tire rules, and they have tried everything over the past two decades, including grooved tires and tires that were expected to last the entire race.

37 minutes ago, milanb said:

The other thing they can do is replace DRS with a button that dials up an extra 200 horsepower (or whatever turns out to be a reasonable amount) down the straights. They may do this anyway for safety reasons.

KERS already exists

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

KERS already exists

Yes, you can do it with KERS, but under the current rules, the car in front can use it too.

In any event, with the turbo engines they have now, it's trivial to add a few pounds of boost. And again, the idea would be to make it possible to pass, not trivial.

I love Lewis as a driver, but he makes it hard to like him outside of the car. I understand his disappointment this week. Losing a sure win due to strategy blunder and ultimately engine failure. Wins a historic pole with a chance for equaling the most wins at a home GP. On the same weekend that England advance to the semi-finals of the WC. He invested a lot into this race and getting spun out clearly threw him over the edge. 

I was ok with him skipping the post-race interview. Those are idiotic and I wish they'd go back to podium interviews. Insinuating Kimi did something malicious was too far. Dude needs to relax and get out of his own head. He's been so defeatist this year. 

I did laugh at his "I will never give up" speech on the podium.  It certainly sounded like he effectively gave up during race judging by race radio

His attitude and off the track persona is entirely why I don't like him

8 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Insinuating Kimi did something malicious was too far.

Not helped by the fact that Toto Wolff seems to backed him in this ridiculous assertion

• 2 weeks later...