Formula 1 Thread

UKTexans

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

Eh, was he really even that good?

Not really, but there were more than a few race weekends where he was looking good in quali, only for his car to let him down. 

British GP - Qualified 11th. Retired on formation lap. 

Azerbaijan GP - Engine fire then misfire in race. 

Russian GP - Taken out lap 1 by Grosjean. 

Monaco GP - Puncture in Q1. 

Belgian GP - 7th fastest heading into Q3. Gearbox failure.

It was a racing incident, but if you had to assign fault, the majority of it would go towards Vettel

And I'm worried that this result might have a very competitive and interesting battle for the WDC now that Hamilton will almost certainly gain 25 points over Seb

35 minutes ago, drd23 said:

It was a racing incident, but if you had to assign fault, the majority of it would go towards Vettel

And I'm worried that this result might have a very competitive and interesting battle for the WDC now that Hamilton will almost certainly gain 25 points over Seb

All Vettel. Great start by Kimi, sluggish by Max and Seb. Seb just gave them no space. Wouldn't punish him for it as it would be almost impossible for him to know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

All Vettel. Great start by Kimi, sluggish by Max and Seb. Seb just gave them no space. Wouldn't punish him for it as it would be almost impossible for him to know. 

If Kimi had a normal start instead of the exceptional one he did have, what Seb did would just him turning in to make the turn, and Max would have had space to do the same.

You can't expect Seb to know that Kimi was charging down the inside and block Max's ability to turn in though, as that would be impossible, which is why I said "majority".  To put all the blame on him would imply that he should have done something different, and with the information he likely had, I'm not sure anyone else would have done different

1 minute ago, sunnygsm said:

Lol Max was driving in a straight line and did nothing. 

Its just a really, really unfortunate incident for everyone. Vettel was aggressive with his move across, but that would have been fine if Kimi hadn't made a great start. Kimi would have been fine where he was if Vettel hadn't forced Verstappen inside.

I'd love to be in that stewards room to see how Ferrari try to blame Verstappen.