Week 17: Bears (5-10) at VIKINGS (12-3)

swede700

Just now, Worm Guts said:

I think what we saw against Chicago was on the lower end of the spectrum for how this offense has played in the 2nd half of the season.  Our defense is perfectly capable of carrying us even when our offense isn't playing well, but I do think our offense is capable of playing better.

We scored 23, but our offense was getting a lot of possessions because the defense was absolutely shutting down the Bears for the first 3 quarters. I don't think the Bears made it past the 50 yard line until the 4th quarter.

I think the Chicago game is pretty darn close to typical output. Low end of the spectrum is probably Atlanta. 

Playoffs will be different. I worry about the defense maintaining dominance against great QBs. Helps being at home but if we give up 3 scores, do we have an offense that can respond? We've played so conservative in recent weeks given the circumstances of some of these games, need to start seeing more aggression again.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think the Chicago game is pretty darn close to typical output. Low end of the spectrum is probably Atlanta. 

Playoffs will be different. I worry about the defense maintaining dominance against great QBs. Helps being at home but if we give up 3 scores, do we have an offense that can respond? We've played so conservative in recent weeks given the circumstances of some of these games, need to start seeing more aggression again.

It would worry me more If the Vikings schedule was soft and involved mediocre quarterback competition, but we have played 4 NFC playoff teams and handled them well. ( the Panthers game was just full of mistakes and giving up big plays which is not typical of this team, and we were still in the game until the very end). Obviously playoffs are a different kettle of fish but I trust this defense against any QB especially at home

1 minute ago, Scottish_Viking said:

It would worry me more If the Vikings schedule was soft and involved mediocre quarterback competition, but we have played 4 NFC playoff teams and handled them well. ( the Panthers game was just full of mistakes and giving up big plays which is not typical of this team, and we were still in the game until the very end). Obviously playoffs are a different kettle of fish but I trust this defense against any QB especially at home

Well said.

Six of the seven lowest yardages allowed and six of the eight lowest point totals allowed by this defense this season were in home games.

The worst our defense played at home was in Week 1, allowing 345 yards and 19 points.

To me it felt the offense was very vanilla yesterday. Nothing seemed too complex and there was only a few deep throws (a couple of which led to DPI).

It easy to be concerned about the offense not putting up a lot of points or being high-powered but we really haven't had to be since the Panthers game. We defensively destroyed Cincy, Green Bay, and Chicago so we never really had to move the ball down field with 10+ yard passes a plenty. All they've had to do is get a quick lead then play a conservative offense and not shoot themselves in the foot and drain the clock.

I think if need be, the offense can open it up which was evident in the Carolina game when the offense had to keep them in the game.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:36 PM, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

To me it felt the offense was very vanilla yesterday. Nothing seemed too complex and there was only a few deep throws (a couple of which led to DPI).

Probably gameplanned in. Dominate defense, ground and pound. No need to try and be explosive in games like these. 

Look what we did with time of possession. 

Kept our defense off the field, and controlled the clock. That is how we will win in the playoffs.

Archived