Week 17: Bears (5-10) at VIKINGS (12-3)

swede700

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

will you guys be resting starters and if so who? That is the dilemma  most playoff teams face, rest or not. 

Highly highly doubtful. The only way you can expect to see starters take a seat would be if the game became a blowout. We still have the #2 seed to play for, so we will probably be playing just a starter hard if not harder than any other week. 

If there's any talk of resting starters I'll get irritated. We need to be playing this game hard, until we have a comfortable lead at least, before we can think about putting in backups. Also, since we'll likely have a bye week next week, we don't want us to be flat, or rusty heading into our divisional round game, so I feel like resting starters for 2 straight weeks would risk that. Another nice thing about the bye week is that it'll give any players who suffer small injuries, or have lagging injuries, 2 weeks to heal rather than just one. So let's go win this game to ensure that bye!!!

There are multiple scenarios in which Minnesota can get the first-round bye and earn an extra week off in the postseason. The most simplistic one is defeating the Bears on Sunday. But Minnesota can also get the No. 2 seed with wins by New Orleans or Los Angeles, or a Carolina loss. Those inside Winter Park said it’s better for the Vikings to win their noon (CT) kickoff and not have to watch later to see what happens in the afternoon games.

Zimmer: “We need to win. This isn’t about momentum. We need to win, it’s important to get a home game, to get a bye I mean. If you can get a bye, it’s like winning two games in one day. That’s pretty huge, so we need to go out and win.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Would-Consider-Win-Against-Bears-as-Double-W/b0230357-c492-454f-93c6-4d2797890e47?sf177551601=1

9 hours ago, 3rivers said:

will you guys be resting starters and if so who? That is the dilemma  most playoff teams face, rest or not. 

Only starters that will rest are the players that are injuried and are on the borderline on playing. Most likely will just end up resting them if it comes down to a gametime decision.

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

As others have indicated as well, I think it's highly unlikely that they will sit many starters.  The only likely ones to sit will be those that have had some nagging injuries over the past few weeks and might need another additional week of rest on top of the one they'd get if they win the game.  Some of them though will still start, although they may have less snaps.  

I don't believe it's in Zimmer's nature to rest guys, especially when there's something still to play for.  If they are comfortably ahead in the 3rd quarter, you might see the reserves come in, but I wouldn't expect the first half to be any different than what you've seen the rest of the season.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

What if it costs the team a win and first round bye?

What if he is injured enough and wrecks his should and it cost us a Superbowl?

Of course if in is just minor and he can play with normal function and minimal pain, sure go out and play.

If it comes down to a gametime decision you just keep him safe.

If a center exchange causes us a victory and a first round bye, at home, against the 5-10 Bears, then so be it. We probably didn't deserve it.

If Elflein can tough it out and that leads to better interior line play in a must win game against a top 10 defense, he needs to play. Because MN lost to Carolina, they don't have the luxury of being extra cautious because a loss to Chicago means they don't get a break and Elflein will have to tough it out next week in the wild card round anyway.

if the injury is too severe to play on, keep him out. Will see how things look tomorrow.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I liked Paul Allen’s solution if Elflein can’t go. 

Berger slides to center, slide Remmers to right guard, and play Hill at right tackle. 

Yep, I said the same thing on here a couple days ago in the situation if any of the interior lineman would end up getting hurt.

Remmers has experience.

Archived