Chris Thompson should be ready for OTAs

turtle28

Thompson has started rehab but the Redskins are taking it slow with him.

And that tends to go extra for very important players like Thompson. How valuable was Thompson?

In the 10 games in which he played, the Redskins averaged 23.8 points per game. In five games without him, the average is 18.8. That five-point differential doesn’t really tell the whole story; the competition was much stronger when Thompson was playing. In their first 10 games, they played seven times against teams who are either in the playoffs or still alive for a spot going into Week 17 and they have played just one such team since.

How good a season was Thompson having? He had 510 yards receiving and 294 yards rushing in his 11 games. That’s the most receiving yards any Redskins running back has had in a season since Larry Centers got 600 in 2000. And since the 1970 merger only two other Redskins running backs, Joe Washington in 1981 and Clarence Harmon in 1980, have had at least 500 receiving yards and 290 rushing yards in a season.

really good news for Chris. He seems like a first class kind of guy, who is a hard worker. Our fundamental issue is he is a 3rd down back and we need a full time back so in my opinion he is a luxury piece.  Building your offense around a third down back is foolish. Can you imagine a day when we have a running back we can keep on the field for every play? That would be awesome and then Chris can come in every few series and spell him. 

35 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

really good news for Chris. He seems like a first class kind of guy, who is a hard worker. Our fundamental issue is he is a 3rd down back and we need a full time back so in my opinion he is a luxury piece.  Building your offense around a third down back is foolish. Can you imagine a day when we have a running back we can keep on the field for every play? That would be awesome and then Chris can come in every few series and spell him. 

I think even if we get a Clinton Portis type I still think Thompson is our 3rd down back and he’ll be used as a change of pace. For as long as Chris is here I think he’s going to get around 10 touches a game with whomever the starter is getting 15 to 20.

Thompson has been a very exciting player to watch in Grudens system. I hope this guy recovers fully and picks up where he left off. He can be our Kamara type player if we have a back like Ingram who can pound the load. The NO current system is what this team is looking for IMO. I believe Gruden wants to run the ball but every back that has the ability to be the workhorse has had fumbling issues. Having a lead back with Thompson as our Swiss Army knife could be deadly with Kirk growing more and more comfortable in this system. Let’s just hope Josh grows year 3 and maybe just maybe Reed can actually hold up

Archived