Throw the House at Cousins

bigbadbuff23835

On 1/5/2018 at 11:20 AM, marshawn lynch said:

We could afford him... Small market teams can afford big time players. That's the whole reason for a cap. In fact small market teams are more likely to be able to afford him because they are smarter with their money. Big market teams usually always at the limit of the cap space. We have 38 million with our free agents leaving team. Obviously we are bringing players back so it will be lower. I know if we trade Taylor then we should have more than enough. Taylor is set to make 18 million. If we trade him for anything... A bag of dorritos. We could sign Cousins for 23 million a year and still have 33 million to sign draft picks, resign players, and add other free agents. Money is not an issue.

And you say he wouldn't want to play in cold weather... That's just dumb. The kid chose to go to East Lansing Michigan for college. In fact all his colleges on his list were from the north. 

With that being said I don't think we sign him but if we don't it's not because lack of money or it's too cold. It would be because he will have a ton of suitors and he will probably be signed for more than he is worth. Just usually how it goes if a player of his caliber hits the market. We could probably find better value at the position somewhere else.

Comparing his decision making as a high school kid and what he would do as a pro who wants success in order to make more money, Buffalo is not his likely chose , given the cold weather and the extra revenue possibilities. Late in the season, our weather does effect stats and his agent will make that clear to him along with diminishing returns on outside sponsor revenue, especially if his stats are effected by the weather.

Second, Buffalo rarely spends to its cap limit, so 38 million is misleading and we loose far more FA's than we sign or we would have spent far more money for FA's this year???

So, I will have to disagree with you and repeat, we have zero shot at signing him and anyways, Washington will simply franchise him again if he fails to sign a contract. Snyder, their owner, has never shied away from overpaying his players, that's his trademark!!!

15 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Comparing his decision making as a high school kid and what he would do as a pro who wants success in order to make more money, Buffalo is not his likely chose , given the cold weather and the extra revenue possibilities. Late in the season, our weather does effect stats and his agent will make that clear to him along with diminishing returns on outside sponsor revenue, especially if his stats are effected by the weather.

Second, Buffalo rarely spends to its cap limit, so 38 million is misleading and we loose far more FA's than we sign or we would have spent far more money for FA's this year???

So, I will have to disagree with you and repeat, we have zero shot at signing him and anyways, Washington will simply franchise him again if he fails to sign a contract. Snyder, their owner, has never shied away from overpaying his players, that's his trademark!!!

Well the Redskins and Jay Gruden came out and said that they are done with one year deals with Cousins... So he is not being franchised... You saying that alone kind of discredits your post after the Skins organization said they won't do it.

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well the Redskins and Jay Gruden came out and said that they are done with one year deals with Cousins... So he is not being franchised... You saying that alone kind of discredits your post after the Skins organization said they won't do it.

I did want to add that I think of they franchise Cousins for a 3rd year, I believe it will be for $34 mil...which is just stupid money.

I wanted to give this thread a bump because some of us have had mocks with Cousins signing which has promoted some opinion pieces being spewed out as fact.

Buffalo being a small market team is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in a small market is opinion.

Buffalo being a cold place for 2 maybe 3 games is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in the cold is opinion.

I can understand fans thinking Buffalo is not a desirable place for reasons X.Y and Z. But please stop spouting this off as if you know Cousins personally or have a say in his decisions. Its ALL speculation. 

As for the pro Cousins coming to Buffalo, here are a few reasons he might be a good fit:

Christian with young family that fits in with the values of the HC and GM.
Buffalo has a solid defense and established running game.
Buffalo has the cap space in future seasons to pay him what he wants
Buffalo is less then a two hour plane ride from his home town.

All in all, I believe this comes down to whether or not Brandon Beane believes signing Cousins long term is the right answer for this franchise. Or whether he believes going to the draft to find his guy is the right answer. 

Thank you Trent. Money talks, and we won't have to pay more than other teams to get him here just because we're Buffalo and it's cold for 2-3 games a year. Ask the team this year, how fun was it playing that snow game against Indy? And that was 'worst case scenario' type weather. The cold weather excuse is overrated and old.

53 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I wanted to give this thread a bump because some of us have had mocks with Cousins signing which has promoted some opinion pieces being spewed out as fact.

Buffalo being a small market team is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in a small market is opinion.

Buffalo being a cold place for 2 maybe 3 games is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in the cold is opinion.

I can understand fans thinking Buffalo is not a desirable place for reasons X.Y and Z. But please stop spouting this off as if you know Cousins personally or have a say in his decisions. Its ALL speculation. 

As for the pro Cousins coming to Buffalo, here are a few reasons he might be a good fit:

Christian with young family that fits in with the values of the HC and GM.
Buffalo has a solid defense and established running game.
Buffalo has the cap space in future seasons to pay him what he wants
Buffalo is less then a two hour plane ride from his home town.

All in all, I believe this comes down to whether or not Brandon Beane believes signing Cousins long term is the right answer for this franchise. Or whether he believes going to the draft to find his guy is the right answer. 

Thank you. I completely agree. I don't think he winds up with us but I just can't see that being because we're a northern small market team. He's in a large market in DC and has a very low profile, the only commercial I remember seeing him in was for the SPCA or something. 

I don't think our front office is going to want to take the risk of signing him but I just can't see Cousins shrugging off our interest because we aren't located in Florida or Los Angeles.

1 minute ago, NickChowaniec said:

Thank you Trent. Money talks, and we won't have to pay more than other teams to get him here just because we're Buffalo and it's cold for 2-3 games a year. Ask the team this year, how fun was it playing that snow game against Indy? And that was 'worst case scenario' type weather. The cold weather excuse is overrated and old.

Especially for a guy who played high school and college football in Michigan which is much colder than Buffalo. Kirk wants to win games, I don't think he is super bothered about all pro nominees and commercial opportunities. 

• 2 weeks later...

Every year before this season the bills have always been at that point where they arent good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get a top pick or top 5 pick. Going through the last 16 seasons without trading up the bills have had 2 top 5 picks, drafting Mike Williams at 4 and Dareus at 3. Leaving them with no chance of getting the top QB in a draft. This year is the same except they actually made the playoffs even with a poor performance from tyrod Taylor. Passing game has been 28th, 31st, and 30th the 3 years Tyrod has been QB, so for those of you who think he is capable of starting you may want to rethink that. With that being said the only options the bills have are Free Agency and/or Trading for a Qb, which rarely comes by unless the QB was garbage and need to dump the cap by trading them such as Brock Osweiler. This year is a rarity not only is a top QB who has already been franchised twice and may or may not be franchised for the 3rd time at a cap hit of a whopping 34 million in Kirk Cousins or a guy like Alex Smith where KC landed their future QB and are not 9 million over the projected cap which means they need to clear 9 to break even and another 5-7 for draft picks. Trading Alex Smith who has a 20 mil cap hit (3 mil dead cap) would answer their cap issues. So bills are in a position to possibly land 2 QBs who threw for over 4,000 yds and 25 tds this year. Going after Rosen, Darnold, Allen, or even Mayfield will cost them a ton, picks 21 and 22 on the draft chart gets the bills to pick 7 which can take them out of the possibility of getting 1 of those 4 qbs let alone the best one depending on the GM and scout team. So trading up to get their franchise guy this year is likely impossible without breaking the bank on draft picks which will lead several holes at other positions. Kirk Cousins will command a pay check between Stafford and carr which will be around 5 years 130 mil with guarantees as high as 50 mil. Alex Smith would likely command less as he is a bit older and will need to give something up to KC to have the deal done, my guess is something along the lines of 4 years 90 mil which is where Big Ben and Russel Wilson are at. Either way both options would be an upgrade on offense and allow Shady to not have to count on carrying the offense most of the time. Bills only have 32 mil in cap space but with cutting tyrod it would be 41 million along with 2019 cap space which is going to be over 90 million so the bills can get a deal done with either guy the only problem is the browns and jets have close to 100 mil in cap space as well which can cause kirks price to go over the stafford contract of 5 years 135 mil with 60 guaranteed. At least with Alex Smith they have a better chance as the price wouldnt be so high and alex can realistically tell them yes or no to the trade. It will be an interesting offseason and I just hope the bills go after one or both of these guys so they can have an opportunity to win now and build for the future through the draft rather then handcuffing themselves to one qb giving up multiple picks that can be a massive bust and a blow to the franchise setting them back 5-6 years. With one of these FA they can cut ties after 2 years while addressing the future qb in the draft if Kirk or Alex dont work out.

I think everyone is overlooking the fact that not many teams have the cap space and need to sign him.

Jets have cap space and need but are in position to draft a franchise QB. They're not a Kirk Cousins away from contention

Broncos have need but would have to deal someone like Chris Harris or release a combo of Aqib Talib, Demariyous Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders but again they're in position to draft a franchise QB

Browns have need and cap but they're gonna draft a franchise guy

Cardinals will have to juggle there lineup to make room. 

Dealing Marcell Dareus for peanuts while we were 4-2 was a straight salary dump so I'm wondering why did Beane and McD go out of their way to put us great salary cap position ?

10 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Every year before this season the bills have always been at that point where they arent good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get a top pick or top 5 pick. Going through the last 16 seasons without trading up the bills have had 2 top 5 picks, drafting Mike Williams at 4 and Dareus at 3. Leaving them with no chance of getting the top QB in a draft. This year is the same except they actually made the playoffs even with a poor performance from tyrod Taylor. Passing game has been 28th, 31st, and 30th the 3 years Tyrod has been QB, so for those of you who think he is capable of starting you may want to rethink that. With that being said the only options the bills have are Free Agency and/or Trading for a Qb, which rarely comes by unless the QB was garbage and need to dump the cap by trading them such as Brock Osweiler. This year is a rarity not only is a top QB who has already been franchised twice and may or may not be franchised for the 3rd time at a cap hit of a whopping 34 million in Kirk Cousins or a guy like Alex Smith where KC landed their future QB and are not 9 million over the projected cap which means they need to clear 9 to break even and another 5-7 for draft picks. Trading Alex Smith who has a 20 mil cap hit (3 mil dead cap) would answer their cap issues. So bills are in a position to possibly land 2 QBs who threw for over 4,000 yds and 25 tds this year. Going after Rosen, Darnold, Allen, or even Mayfield will cost them a ton, picks 21 and 22 on the draft chart gets the bills to pick 7 which can take them out of the possibility of getting 1 of those 4 qbs let alone the best one depending on the GM and scout team. So trading up to get their franchise guy this year is likely impossible without breaking the bank on draft picks which will lead several holes at other positions. Kirk Cousins will command a pay check between Stafford and carr which will be around 5 years 130 mil with guarantees as high as 50 mil. Alex Smith would likely command less as he is a bit older and will need to give something up to KC to have the deal done, my guess is something along the lines of 4 years 90 mil which is where Big Ben and Russel Wilson are at. Either way both options would be an upgrade on offense and allow Shady to not have to count on carrying the offense most of the time. Bills only have 32 mil in cap space but with cutting tyrod it would be 41 million along with 2019 cap space which is going to be over 90 million so the bills can get a deal done with either guy the only problem is the browns and jets have close to 100 mil in cap space as well which can cause kirks price to go over the stafford contract of 5 years 135 mil with 60 guaranteed. At least with Alex Smith they have a better chance as the price wouldnt be so high and alex can realistically tell them yes or no to the trade. It will be an interesting offseason and I just hope the bills go after one or both of these guys so they can have an opportunity to win now and build for the future through the draft rather then handcuffing themselves to one qb giving up multiple picks that can be a massive bust and a blow to the franchise setting them back 5-6 years. With one of these FA they can cut ties after 2 years while addressing the future qb in the draft if Kirk or Alex dont work out.

I think Smith would obviously be the easier player to cut ties with if it doesn't work out. I wasn't keen on Smith at first but I think he could be the most realistic signing and would be a big upgrade from Tyrod. I can't see us taking a huge risk on Cousins although I wouldn't be against the move. I just want us to take a swing at someone either in the draft or FA. We've been putting off taking a risk on a QB for far too long and this is the best chance we'll have to take our guy. We don't have to force the issue but we certainly need to be prepared to make the move if we see a player we want. 

Archived