Throw the House at Cousins

bigbadbuff23835

On 1/17/2018 at 9:47 AM, Trentwannabe said:

I wanted to give this thread a bump because some of us have had mocks with Cousins signing which has promoted some opinion pieces being spewed out as fact.

Buffalo being a small market team is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in a small market is opinion.

Buffalo being a cold place for 2 maybe 3 games is fact.

Cousins not wanting to play in the cold is opinion.

I can understand fans thinking Buffalo is not a desirable place for reasons X.Y and Z. But please stop spouting this off as if you know Cousins personally or have a say in his decisions. Its ALL speculation. 

As for the pro Cousins coming to Buffalo, here are a few reasons he might be a good fit:

Christian with young family that fits in with the values of the HC and GM.
Buffalo has a solid defense and established running game.
Buffalo has the cap space in future seasons to pay him what he wants
Buffalo is less then a two hour plane ride from his home town.

All in all, I believe this comes down to whether or not Brandon Beane believes signing Cousins long term is the right answer for this franchise. Or whether he believes going to the draft to find his guy is the right answer. 

I have no doubt he would be a great fit, but can we afford him, I doubt it. Small market teams rarely spend up to their cap limit because their owners do not have the income and hence the financial resources to compete in the FA market.

It is not an opinion that small market teams cannot afford a Cousins type player who wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. I would only give Buffalo around a 30% chance of attracting Cousins to sign with us. The Jets or Denver would seem as far more likely choices. You have to ask yourself with a player like Cousins, is he in it for the money alone or does he want to play for a winner???

I doubt any QB in the NFL would like to play in Buffalo in the winter months. It is one thing if you can draft one, but quite another to attract one to sign with us as a FA. This is simple common sense and has nothing to do with reading a player's mind. QB's prefer to play in warm climates and better yet, in a dome if possible.

Brandon Beane might love to sign Cousins to a contract, it is whether he can afford him and whether he wants to play in Buffalo's weather, that will decide the issue. I give us a chance, but it will not be an easy signing IMO and I am not expecting it to happen!!!

6 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I have no doubt he would be a great fit, but can we afford him, I doubt it. Small market teams rarely spend up to their cap limit because their owners do not have the income and hence the financial resources to compete in the FA market.

It is not an opinion that small market teams cannot afford a Cousins type player who wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. I would only give Buffalo around a 30% chance of attracting Cousins to sign with us. The Jets or Denver would seem as far more likely choices. You have to ask yourself with a player like Cousins, is he in it for the money alone or does he want to play for a winner???

I doubt any QB in the NFL would like to play in Buffalo in the winter months. It is one thing if you can draft one, but quite another to attract one to sign with us as a FA. This is simple common sense and has nothing to do with reading a player's mind. QB's prefer to play in warm climates and better yet, in a dome if possible.

Brandon Beane might love to sign Cousins to a contract, it is whether he can afford him and whether he wants to play in Buffalo's weather, that will decide the issue. I give us a chance, but it will not be an easy signing IMO and I am not expecting it to happen!!!

I'm not expecting it to happen either but the weather comment is getting old. The dude played in Michigan his entire high school and college career, I don't think he cares what weather he's playing in. This all comes down to money in my opinion. 

Our oline isnt garbage. They were ranked as high as 6th going in to week 7 or 8 of this year. Its Tyrod that is the issue. I hate when people start blaming everyone else around him and not tyrod. You do realize that 2/3 of the bills sacks were due to Tyrod holding the ball to long. He was ranked last in the league for holding on to the ball. At times people saw he had days to throw and he doesnt make the pass. He is incapable of looking at other options and goes to the top target set in the play if he is covered he checks down to shady or tolbert, then either tries to scramble and take the sack rather then throwing the ball away or looking at the other wr options.

Dawkins was graded as one of the highest LT according to PFF yet you think he sucks? Part of the reason they were ranked so high up to then was because glenn cover Lt and Dawkins covered RT. With Glenn coming back and isnt traded the bills weakest link will be RG and thats really it. Im convinced Groy will be starting Center and played a phenomenal job the 7 weeks in 2016 season with wood breaking his leg.

I just want to know why some people are so convinced that Tyrod isn't the issue and blames the oline, coaching and wr corps? 2016 season everyone was saying tyrod cant throw because he has no weapons, 2017 season comes along and both Robert Woods and Marquis Goodwin are going for over 1000 yds in receiving on new teams, and the bills bring in the eagles #1 wr in Mathews and the panthers #1 wr in Benjamin from previous years and end up having the worst year of their career but its their fault for not getting open or making enough plays. 3 OCs and 2 QB coaches have to adjust the play book to dumb it down for their qb and still couldnt get it done and ended up moving on from them. Dennison deserved to get canned simply for some bad play calling but the other half is because tyrod sucks. 4 games of 3 offensive points, 3 games of 100 yards  or less in passing. This is a qb driven league, let me know what team has been successful with a crappy performance like this from their qb? Hell even Blake Bortles had a better season then Tyrod Taylor. Bills will be nothing more then an 8-8 or 9-7 team with Tyrod at the helm. Yes the bills made the playoffs but it wasnt because of tyrod, it was shady and defense with the turnovers keeping them in games. As well as a lucky Bengals play on 4th and long to give them a shot at the wild card where the bills ended up posting 3 offensive points that game. any other year a 9-7 wouldnt have made that wildcard spot.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Brandon Beane said last season he wants to build through the draft and won't spend on big free agents. With Alex Smith getting that stupid extension, Cousins is going to literally break the bank. It won't be Buffalo.

What a GM says prior to free agency and the draft means literally nothing to me. Probably less than nothing if that’s possible.

38 minutes ago, davidderion said:

Throw the house at Cousins...

And by that I mean the house blitz...

Because there’s a decent chance he ends up on the Jets and we face him twice a year. 

Definitely possible. It would be a good signing for the Jets. 

11 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Is Buffalo a small market team based on desire of being a fanbase through out the world or US and isnt a big name market like NY Dallas or LA yes that is TRUE

to say they are a small market team based on owners spending cap that if FALSE. Pegulas are the 7th richest NFL owner in the league so money shouldn't be a factor when it comes to deciding to pay a player.

It will come down to Beane and McDermott deciding if this is the right move or not. The bills are not afraid to spend and have shown it in the past with Dareus and making a play for Shady and pay him under whaley but still Pegulas were the owners. Whether they will want to put their cap on Cousins will come down to Beane and McDermott. Bills were a small market with Ralph but they are not financially a small market now.

Did Kirk Cousins not grow up in the cold? Did he not play at Michigan State where its cold? I dont see why the cold would be a drastic issue for him. Denver, New Jersey, Buffalo, Cleveland, all have cold whether and are the top candidates for going after him. 

Bills have 40 million in cap space once they cut tyrod, 85 million next year in cap space and even more in 2020 before signings, rollovers, and cuts happen so the bills have the flexibility to throw the truck at him if they truly want to.

Bills are building a team and have made several bold moves to clear cap and put in the right pieces if cousins is the right piece for them then I have full faith in Beane going after him and landing him. The bills have LT Glenn, LG Richie, C Groy, RG Unknown (FA/Draft), RT Dawkins, Shady and dimarco in the back field with Kbenji at X and Zay at slot but need someone at Z (FA Draft). Solid pieces for Kirk to continue his performance he has done the last few years. Browns and Jets are essentially a full rebuild at this point and isnt one qb away from contending plus they are in a position to draft a franchise qb at picks 1, 4, and 6. Broncos are the wild card they would need to cut Talib and a couple other guys like Demaryius and Sanders which will put holes on their weapons but still have a solid defense and oline is pretty good. So if kirk is truly looking to win and not trying to make top money then the Bills and Broncos are the best chances. Oakland is on the rise, and Kc is still competitive especially if Mahomes pans out. The bills really only have Tom and the pats to worry about but long term they could be a rebuild in another year or two so that may also come in to account.

Some can argue and say that he isn't good enough to deserve money which could be true but we dont know as we are just fans. Look what he has done statistically and then look at the last big qb to hit free agency this big Drew Brees, look at what he did in San Diego and then look what he did in New Orleans his performance only got better and I am not saying cousins will be the next drew brees but he has produced alot better then Brees did initially and can get better with the right pieces and coaching staff around him whether or not its with Buffalo will be the question

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

What a GM says prior to free agency and the draft means literally nothing to me. Probably less than nothing if that’s possible.

He said it in May last year. I believe it was just after he was hired. More of his philosophy then anything else.

36 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Is that an actual story or just an opinion?

Since it's from Cowherd, I don't care for him so I'll choose to ignore it until something is more official lol. Just thought I'd share. I think he'll sign with Denver anyways (it's what I'd do if I were in his position).

5 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Since it's from Cowherd, I don't care for him so I'll choose to ignore it until something is more official lol. Just thought I'd share. I think he'll sign with Denver anyways (it's what I'd do if I were in his position).

I was just wondering where you saw it, I hadn't seen anything. I think Denver is really going to have to make some cuts and will be in cap hell if they sign him. 

Archived