TARFT: New Forum, New Thread

LeeEvans

Just now, LeeEvans said:

That's pretty ******* cool. I wish I could get paid for speaking the language I already do. I'd be a terrible teacher though 

Yeah, it's not too bad. Teaching can be fun. I dont love it, but I've grown to be happy doing it. Which is good enough for me haha.

2 minutes ago, kempus said:

Yeah, it's not too bad. Teaching can be fun. I dont love it, but I've grown to be happy doing it. Which is good enough for me haha.

Man that is basically what I tell people about what I do. I do finance (like Tex) and I hate math but it's a job and I actually don't hate it. It's amazing how adulthood just makes you do what doesn't suck. 

Back on the beer thing though, is craft beer a thing in England? 

When I was Germany the beer was great but it was very standard, for lack of a better word. There wasn't a whole lot of originality or companies outside of the major players. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Man that is basically what I tell people about what I do. I do finance (like Tex) and I hate math but it's a job and I actually don't hate it. It's amazing how adulthood just makes you do what doesn't suck. 

I always caveat my job description to people by mentioning the fact it's in oil and gas and I spent a year living in Africa because of it. Otherwise it sounds terribly boring. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Back on the beer thing though, is craft beer a thing in England? 

When I was Germany the beer was great but it was very standard, for lack of a better word. There wasn't a whole lot of originality or companies outside of the major players. 

Yes! Look up somewhere like the Euston Tap, that always has dozens of craft beers, some English some European. (occasionally American too, but we don't talk about that) 

9 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

You're training for a marathon? I am a mildly decent runner but I have no interest in EVER running a marathon. A half marathon maybe but a full sounds absolutely horrific. 

Yah I ran distance in college and never want to run again. I could see myself training for a 5k again but definitely not a marathon. I respect anyone that completes it because your body isn't really meant to run that far. I use to remember a lot of things that happen to your body after you run a 5k which basically shows you are actively destroying your body and it takes a couple of months to repair.

10 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

So lets talk about beer. What's everyone drinking on? Dogfish head is my current jam. Namaste White is #fire.

Dogfish head has always been my go to jam, raison d être is probably my favorite beer overall (not from Dogfish head but all beers). Lately I been drinking Fat Tire more often then most but I usually just drink something I have never had before.

9 minutes ago, teamorange said:

Yah I ran distance in college and never want to run again. I could see myself training for a 5k again but definitely not a marathon. I respect anyone that completes it because your body isn't really meant to run that far. I use to remember a lot of things that happen to your body after you run a 5k which basically shows you are actively destroying your body and it takes a couple of months to repair.

I run 7k 2 or 3 times a week during my lunch hour, I've got a 10k in October and I think I'm going to sign up for a half marathon in February. I don't particularly enjoy running, but I'm just quite naturally good so it seems a waste not to try. 

10 minutes ago, teamorange said:

Yeah, a marathon is definitely not good for your body. Beyond 10-15km you're probably doing some damage. It's when you don't let it rest or heal properly, post run, that tears etc occur.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

I run 7k 2 or 3 times a week during my lunch hour, I've got a 10k in October and I think I'm going to sign up for a half marathon in February. I don't particularly enjoy running, but I'm just quite naturally good so it seems a waste not to try. 

Half marathons are awesome. They're tough, but not putting yourself through hell tough.

3 minutes ago, kempus said:

Half marathons are awesome. They're tough, but not putting yourself through hell tough.

Yeah I think it should be a nice challenge. Last weekend I did a 10k on Saturday at the park, then I did another on Sunday so it's not really a challenge. 

3 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Yeah I think it should be a nice challenge. Last weekend I did a 10k on Saturday at the park, then I did another on Sunday so it's not really a challenge. 

Its from the 18km on that gets tough for me in previous races. Doesn't help that the GZ half marathon stops the km sign posts at 18km haha. So you have no idea how much further there is to go.

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I am working towards a half marathon for sometime in early November. I usually do 2 5ks and 1 day of speed training on weeknights and then do a 10-15ks every weekend. I just jogging because it forces me to be self motivated. Unless you are jogging with a buddy, it is up to yourself to resist the temptation to slow down or walk. Its a big difference from the fitness classes I do where I try to keep up or be better than my class mates. 

I do like balancing yoga with jogging. I find that its a low stress way to maintain your core strength and to stretch your muscles after a jog.