Alex's "Meh" mock draft

Alex

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Whitehair hasn't impressed me.  Which game should I go to and see him dominate?  I hate the way he launches his body and doesn't bring his arms in to help tackle.

His hits doesn't impress me. His coverage does though. 

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I don't look at hits for my DBs that much due to rules.  I look at coverage and range.  He moves well and looks to be a solid cover guy.  The only thing that matters are far as hitting for me, is getting the guy down without allowing extra yardage every time.

Hitting is tackling to me.  Too often Whitehead lunges at the thighs rather than for tackling.  Watching the game today and there were many instances of our DBs taking bad angles to the ballcarrier.

19 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Hitting is tackling to me.  Too often Whitehead lunges at the thighs rather than for tackling.  Watching the game today and there were many instances of our DBs taking bad angles to the ballcarrier.

Well, to me, hitting is the crap that Mike Mitchell does and gets flagged for.  So we definitely have different ideas in mind when we say hitting.  I hate bad tacklers.  I don't want big hitters though.....even though that's my favorite part to see if it doesn't get flagged.  

The Steelers had a good D this year overall.  #5 in yards, #7 in scoring, #1 in sacks, #9 in INTs, #12 in QB Rate allowed, #5 in passing yards allowed, #18 in FF, #10 in rushing yards, #14 in yards per play, #7 in 3rd down %.  

So except for forced fumbles, they were at least in the top half of ever major statistical category.  That yards per play is way too high though, and that's largely due to blown coverages and missed tackles.  They should've been better.  But still, if you told me we'd go into this season with the #7 defense in PPG and #5 in overall yards, and top 10 in both rushing and passing yards allowed, I'd be very happy with that.  Especially if part of that was without Shazier. 

The susceptibility of giving up big plays to garbage opponents is part of what makes me a bit afraid for the playoffs.  Anyone can beat you if you give up big plays that often.  Surprisingly, they're only 15th in pass plays of 20+, but NOT surprisingly, they're tied for 28th or 30th with giving up almost the most 40+ pass plays.  In rush D, they're 14th in 20+ and again not surprisingly they're tied for 21st to 29th in 40+ plays given up.  WAY too many splash plays made AGAINST the Steelers, but also a lot of splash plays FOR the Steelers in the form of #1 sacks and #9 INTs. 

It's a work in progress, but the results so far are very promising.  Shoring up those safeties, along with a better ILB, is where I'd start to fix the problems.  

Archived