2017 Packers Training Camp General Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

It's only a week into camp but it appears the head-scratcher draft pick so far is Yancey. First, we spent a 5th rounder on him (could have used it on an OLB or another CB), and second, so far I'm hearimg he's being outperformed by just about everyone including Janis, Dupre, McCaffery and Clark.

Still a long way to go, but seeing a RD5 WR crap out would hardly be a shocker.  Sometimes the rookies just don't "get it" at the NFL level.  Fans seemed happy enough with the pick when it was made.  

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's far more likely that he gets dealt next offseason than the end of the preseason.  Teams are going to want to get him exposed to their playbook as long as possible so unless he's traded within the next week or so, I'd imagine he's going to be a Packers for this season.

On 7/30/2017 at 0:03 PM, Shanedorf said:

Great set of photos here from Evan Siegle at packers.com

http://www.packers.com/photos/photo-gallery/Packers-hold-first-padded-practice/79e91e4d-88c2-498e-b3b0-3fe502609ceb#start

77 pics from TC

temp170729-practice-02--nfl_mezz_1280_10

That's WR Michael Clark, all 6'6 of him

And below is RB Jamaal Williams trying to show MM that he can handle pass pro

temp170729-practice-40--nfl_mezz_1280_10

Thinking that is 99, Christian Ringo.  

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

So, I had been told that at the beginning of camp, these were the starting three wide receivers.  Boundary WR's were Adams and Janis.  Nelson was in the slot.

I haven't read anything stating this at all.  Janis with the 1's.  All I have read about Janis is that he is falling down the depth chart.  Am I missing something?

Haven't read that either. read a a few times that the starting 3 were the usual suspects, but neither tweet listed where they were lined up.

I was told that Janis lined up as a #1 outside WR with Adams, Jordy was in the slot.

My guess is that Cobb's shoelace was untied and took that first play off.  I haven't seen anything anywhere, nor have i heard anywhere else that he lined up as a starting outside corner.

9 hours ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Really like Joe Whitt. Appreciate his straight-forward, no BS approach. Hope he's considered for DC when Dom retires. 

Agree! He's going to be a DC soon, and a HC down the road. Always been a fan of his. Let's hope he kills it this year.

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

No one talking about Houses hamstring? Any concerns there?

Don't think the injury itself is a concern in terms of severity. MM said "day to day" which in Packer-speak means he's probably okay, just being cautious. The only concerning part of it is that House was pretty injury-prone during his first stay in GB and had a bad hammy injury before with us. 

Had the opportunity to attend TC today. 

WR Thoughts 

Trevor Davis had an extremely impressive day.

He probably had the 2nd best practice of all the WRs outside of Adams who put on an absolute clinic. 

Dupre and Janis both had good practices. 

Allison and Yancey didn't look great today. Allison started strong in the 1 on 1s and then began to struggle. Yancey really struggled in the 1 on 1s and then came on a bit near the end of practice. Yancey looked very stiff and that seemed to be a huge reason he struggled to create separation on routes. 

McCaffery had a good practice, but I'm not sure he's capable of being anything outside of a slot WR. He runs good routes and finds ways to get open, but I don't think he'd be able to get open in man coverage on the perimeter against NFL CBs. 

Clark was hit or miss. The QBs targeted him on back-to-back plays in the redzone and he converted both (early in practice). He then proceeded to have two very ugly drops. He seems like the perfect PS WR. 

Crockett's day was also hit or miss. Rodgers targeted him two times and he caught one/dropped one. He has some nifty feet. 

Other Positions

Fackrell appears to be all of 255 and looks great. 

Gilbert was the other OLB that really stood out to me. 

Elliott is still stiff as a board and it shows. 

Price was fantastic. 

Ringo and Lunsford both had bad days. 

I was pleasantly surprised by Hawkins, he was a player that I had zero expectations for but he definitely popped today. 

I know that I'm forgetting stuff. 

Feel free to ask questions about any of the players. 

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

^^^^ thanks cadmus.  Appreciate the snippets of info on players.   

A bit disappointed that with only 90 players, you did not have a more full writeup.  Oh well.

Hundley had a good day.

My brother opined that he might throw better on the run/outside the pocket than half of the starters in the NFL. 

He had some seriously impressive plays. 

The drop from Hundley to Callahan was noticeable. 

Any other players you're interested in... just ask.

Archived