2017 Packers Training Camp General Discussion

CWood21

3 minutes ago, CentralFC said:

Pads go on today? 

Yeah, saw a photo of them in pads on the Packers' Twitter.

Sounds like Vogel has been punting well for the most part. Only small concern might be consistency - seems like one poor punt keeps happening in his strings of five.

I'm perfectly content with Trevor Davis returning punts until he has another muffed punt.  The one he had last year should have been called fair catch interference, so I don't even blame him for that one, and he was a rookie.  He's the most exciting punt returner we've had since Cobb's rookie year, so I'd prefer to keep him back there.  Additionally, since I don't see Cobb breaking off many more 60 yarders, I'd rather not put him on punt returns considering he's more important to the offense than special teams. 

Punt returners should always be expendable in my opinion.  Let a player earn playing time by performing well on special teams.  Davis won't see the field as a receiver very often ahead of Cobb/Adams/Nelson, so giving him a chance to showcase his speed is good, and if he was to get hurt doing that, it wouldn't hinder our offense. 

14 hours ago, CentralFC said:

I'm not even going to mention why I'm so pumped.

Good to hear Vogel is punting the ball well!

Because Packers football is back?

Really hoping Vogel can be our punter for the next decade.  I'm tired of using mediocre punters, but I'm tempering my expectations.

9 hours ago, CheeseheadinMA said:

That Cobby quote...c'mon man! Let him do it!

They're probably more inclined to let him do it, especially if the emergence of Davante Adams is real.  Not sure we really have another real PR option on the roster right now.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm perfectly content with Trevor Davis returning punts until he has another muffed punt.  The one he had last year should have been called fair catch interference, so I don't even blame him for that one, and he was a rookie.  He's the most exciting punt returner we've had since Cobb's rookie year, so I'd prefer to keep him back there.  Additionally, since I don't see Cobb breaking off many more 60 yarders, I'd rather not put him on punt returns considering he's more important to the offense than special teams. 

Punt returners should always be expendable in my opinion.  Let a player earn playing time by performing well on special teams.  Davis won't see the field as a receiver very often ahead of Cobb/Adams/Nelson, so giving him a chance to showcase his speed is good, and if he was to get hurt doing that, it wouldn't hinder our offense. 

I'd rather have a sure-handed PR than someone whose going to try and make something out of nothing.  Like you mentioned, Davis had that muffed punt which can be killer and I'd rather give our offense as many chances to score as possible.  Cobb is our safest PR, might not try and break one everytime but you feel confident with him back there.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'd rather have a sure-handed PR than someone whose going to try and make something out of nothing.  Like you mentioned, Davis had that muffed punt which can be killer and I'd rather give our offense as many chances to score as possible.  Cobb is our safest PR, might not try and break one everytime but you feel confident with him back there.

That muffed punt cannot count against Davis because he was illegally touched in the process of making the catch.  As Richard Sherman would say, read the rule book.  I used to feel the same way about punt returns.  That one guy, Leonard I think was his name for the Jets, was my favorite punt returner after Rex Ryan said he could field a punt in a hurricane.  But the way I see it, Davis is an asset just like Janis is an asset.  You find ways to use assets like that.  Janis wasn't getting on the field as a punt returner, so he went to gunner and became a top special teams player.  Davis probably won't see the field much as a receiver, so put him on the field as a punt returner to get a use out of his speed.

If he fumbles or muffs punts, pull him and go with the safe option.  But it doesn't make sense to not go with Davis until he proves to be a liability. 

Risking injury to Cobb is not worth the security of fielding a punt, so only put him back there if Davis fails. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

That muffed punt cannot count against Davis because he was illegally touched in the process of making the catch.  As Richard Sherman would say, read the rule book.  I used to feel the same way about punt returns.  That one guy, Leonard I think was his name for the Jets, was my favorite punt returner after Rex Ryan said he could field a punt in a hurricane.  But the way I see it, Davis is an asset just like Janis is an asset.  You find ways to use assets like that.  Janis wasn't getting on the field as a punt returner, so he went to gunner and became a top special teams player.  Davis probably won't see the field much as a receiver, so put him on the field as a punt returner to get a use out of his speed.

If he fumbles or muffs punts, pull him and go with the safe option.  But it doesn't make sense to not go with Davis until he proves to be a liability. 

Risking injury to Cobb is not worth the security of fielding a punt, so only put him back there if Davis fails. 

I'm not saying it wasn't a muffed punt, but it's not the first time we've had concerns about Trevor Davis' hands.  Didn't he get more snaps than usual in that Tennessee game and had a couple of drops?  LIS, I'd rather stick someone back there that I know will field the punt and tell him he needs to fair catch the ball all the time.  Not to mention, if Cobb manages to get hurt fair catching the ball, I'm not going to be that upset given that it was a freak accident.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They're probably more inclined to let him do it, especially if the emergence of Davante Adams is real.  Not sure we really have another real PR option on the roster right now.

This is what I'm thinking. I mean, I want Cobb more involved in the offense, too. We all know he's one of the smartest players, why wouldn't we try to get him out there more? Especially if our embarrassment of riches at the WR position continues to shrink his opportunities elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

That's WR Michael Clark, all 6'6 of him

O.o:o

Is this one of the UDFA? I missed this guy somehow, he looks like a D-lineman...

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's already muffed one in camp.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

He's already muffed one in camp.

Camp shmamp.  He gets the job done on Sunday.  He's going to turn into a rich man's Desean Jackson for us so I can keep pointing to why we don't need a first round receiver. 

Archived