Aside from not getting a QB, my nearly perfect mock simulation

Magnus-Viktor

I'll post my decent sim.  All of my mocks I will trade down to get more picks.  As always, ignore the grades and look at the talent.  Penny is likely to go in the 2nd rather than where they let me get him.  Stidham was BPA when I picked.  If I can't get Roquan Smith I like either Worley or Jordan Jones, Kentucky, as ILB.

Round 2 Pick 11 (OAK): Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 30: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 3 Pick 11 (OAK): Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 4 Pick 11 (OAK): Chris Worley, ILB, Ohio State (D)
Round 5 Pick 7: Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn (A+)
Round 5 Pick 30: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (D+)
Round 7 Pick 30: Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State (A-)

4 hours ago, DudeWhat??? said:

If we don''t sign bell that changes the draft completely...as with most drafts there is plently of rb talent to be had in the 3rd to 4th rounds. This is a horrible year for safeties though.

Agreed.  That is exactly why I didn't draft one.  I'd rather draft a good player at those other positions than pure trash at S.  I watched videos on around 10 safeties (not the ones projected to be early 1st rounders), and they all look like a steaming pile of dung.  Except Jordan Whitehead.  But why was he suspended?  Will he actually be around in 5 as in these sims?  I think the only way he isn't a 1st rounder is if he has serious character issues.  

I also agree on Bell.  There are lots of RBs in this draft around 3, like the 2 Georgia Bulldogs for example.  Hopefully if Bell isn't retained they find a way to tag and trade him, rather than get a meesely 3rd comp for the best player in the league.  

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I'll post my decent sim.  All of my mocks I will trade down to get more picks.  As always, ignore the grades and look at the talent.  Penny is likely to go in the 2nd rather than where they let me get him.  Stidham was BPA when I picked.  If I can't get Roquan Smith I like either Worley or Jordan Jones, Kentucky, as ILB.

Round 2 Pick 11 (OAK): Ronnie Harrison, SS, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 30: Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma (A+)
Round 3 Pick 11 (OAK): Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 30: Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 4 Pick 11 (OAK): Chris Worley, ILB, Ohio State (D)
Round 5 Pick 7: Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn (A+)
Round 5 Pick 30: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State (D+)
Round 7 Pick 30: Davontae Harris, CB, Illinois State (A-)

Do you really like Harrison, or just taking a safety to take a safety?  I watched videos of him, and he looked like a scrub to me against Clemson.  He didn't do much of anything.  Also, the writeups on him say he struggles in coverage and that's why their other S is the cover guy.  I want a cover safety, not a guy who just looks the part.  Harrison definitely looks the part.

I don't know Penny at all.  Same with Harris.

Worley I've seen play a lot, but I was too busy watching Hubbard and Bosa so didn't pay much attention to him.  One of their LBs flashed but I can't remember who he was now.  It might have been him.  

Stidham did not look good at all the last time I saw him play.  

I like the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders aside from Harrison though.  

31 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Harrison is very good in man coverage.  I barely pay attention to writeups at all.  Harrison has been matched up against Christian Kirk and played him really well.  Don't believe those phony articles or biased writers.

Like I said, I watched some of the draftbreakdown videos too, and I was not impressed at all.  Looked like he just stood around and watched his teammates make all the plays (or fail to make the plays).  Granted that was against Clemson.  IF he can actually cover and not just look the part (I love his size at 6'3" 215 or w/e), great.  If not, I'll pass on all the safeties I've seen except Derwin James and Jordan Whitehead (if he isn't a headcase).  I'm just really, extremely underwhelmed by the dozen or so guys I watched the videos on, or saw play live all year.  I saw guys on here hyping up the Penn State guy Marcus Allen....NOT impressed at all with that guy.  Derwin James I saw play a little and liked what I saw, but I never considered him a realistic option so didn't bother watching a lot, and then I taped the bowl game when I read some  had him slipping to #18 now, but he skipped that so it wasn't worth watching.  

I'm beginning to think we'd have to look at a big CB to convert to S.  Those are my favorite types anyway, since they can cover and I care about that a lot more than laying the wood (which will just lead to a 15 yard penalty 90% of the time anymore anyway).  They have to be able to tackle the RBs and TEs though.

For the record, I actually prefer to just look for a guy that is projected to be in range and with the desired measurables (Whitehead does lack the size, but has the athleticism, and I liked what I saw when I watched Pitt play the last few years), and watch some videos before developing any preconceived notions as a result of a writeup.  They are interesting to see if someone else had the same impression as me or not.

As much we want our safeties to be 6'3" and 225 lbs, those come as a rarity of elite skillset. 

Every scout wants to draft one of them so they'd look like a genius for picking an athletic player with great size.

Whitehead is actually at similar height/weight ratio as Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and even Earl Thomas. I wouldn't nitpick the size as much.

Whitehead was suspended by the team (for disclosed reasons) and the coaches and players still endorsed him. So, for what it matters, I am going to dubs this as something of "youthful stupidity" and not a red flag. Skillset-wise, Whitehead is better than any of them and he does provide us immediate need, it just makes sense anyway. Whitehead is the kind of player that has fixable weaknesses and will only get better.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

As much we want our safeties to be 6'3" and 225 lbs, those come as a rarity of elite skillset. 

Every scout wants to draft one of them so they'd look like a genius for picking an athletic player with great size.

Whitehead is actually at similar height/weight ratio as Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, and even Earl Thomas. I wouldn't nitpick the size as much.

Whitehead was suspended by the team (for disclosed reasons) and the coaches and players still endorsed him. So, for what it matters, I am going to dubs this as something of "youthful stupidity" and not a red flag. Skillset-wise, Whitehead is better than any of them and he does provide us immediate need, it just makes sense anyway. Whitehead is the kind of player that has fixable weaknesses and will only get better.

Agreed on the size thing, for the most part.  

Reed was listed at 5'11" 201.   Polamalu 5'10 1/8" 206.  Earl Thomas 5'10 1/4" 208.  

Whitehead is listed at 5'10 3/8" 195.  (Listed at 190 on walterfootball & 195 on Pitt's website)

So they're all almost the same height, if those sizes are accurate (I got them from nfldraftscout).  I just question if Whitehead at 190-195 is going to be able to hold up physically.  I don't question his talent.  As I said before, he might be my favorite S in the draft, if his character checks out, regardless of size.  11-13 lbs of muscle less than Polamalu and Thomas, and 6 less than Reed (who was a pure center fielder).  So if he's a pure center fielder, maybe it won't be too big of an issue.  

Funny enough, on nfldraftscout right now, he's a projected 5 and dropping.  I wonder why they have him dropping?  

On 12/28/2017 at 6:13 AM, DudeWhat??? said:

If we don''t sign bell that changes the draft completely...as with most drafts there is plently of rb talent to be had in the 3rd to 4th rounds. This is a horrible year for safeties though.

there might be ok  RB talent in the 3rd or 4th, but if you lose Bell you're replacing  a RB &&&  a WR2 or WR3 

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

there might be ok  RB talent in the 3rd or 4th, but if you lose Bell you're replacing  a RB &&&  a WR2 or WR3 

yeah..were aren't going find that in a RB in this draft...in fact bell was not even known for his pass catching ability coming out of the draft..we kind of got lucky....kerryon johnson is compared to bell and that will get him selected in the top or mid 2nd...but we all know not to trust those comparisons really. 

Archived