DeShone Kizer: can he turn it around?

Apparition

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You don't keep a coach who is terrible just to have continuity. Hue is really bad. They weren't trying to tank and the roster isn't awful. Kizer lost a handful of games on his own and Hue probably cost them 6 wins with personnel choices and game management. The front 7 were good. The secondary needs work but they were schemed poorly. The offensive line was acceptable. The running game was decent. The receivers were bad but even with Gordon returning and Coleman getting healthy and progress by the tight ends the offense is still terrible because of Kizer and Hue. Keeping the weak links in place is good for continuity but you have to realize that keeping poor people in their positions only means that you will be continuously bad.

Hue should go. Kizer should hit the bench. There should be a new starting QB next year and a new coach. Anything else is unacceptable because neither are any good at this point in their careers and they need to figure something out before they are put in a position to lead an NFL team.

They were obviously trying to tank that's not even up for debate, the roster is clearly lacking talent and while it's not as bad as the jets roster it's still pretty bad. 

Hue Jackson isn't a terrible coach at all, he's a solid head coach who can actually turn the browns around if given a shot. But cleveland is going to fire him because cleveland. 

On 2017-12-26 at 8:26 PM, Starless said:

Kizer is about to put the capstone on what, statistically, would be the worst QB season since Jake Plummer's 1999 campaign (minimum 350 attempts). Hue Jackson has said pretty explicitly that he won't commit to Kizer as the Browns QB in 2018. 

Of course, QBs who have had bad rookie seasons have been able to get past it and thrive with improved coaching and surrounding talent. Jared Goff's turnaround from year 1 to year 2 is a testament to that. Can the same thing happen for Kizer, or is there something so fundamentally wrong with him as a player that he can be written off

I saw this and thought I might add to the thread. 

I remember in our game vs the browns, I thought this kid had guts and was shocked that with Williams as DC (and some talent), Crowell at RB that the browns ended up where they are. I thought a few wins anyways, but your post shows the stats of a bad QB campaign . 

I never watched other browns games, but LT Thomas being IR was a loss that would make any rookie change a bit . I would say the OL was the issue from what limited viewing I had as well as Hues play calling . If the browns get a WR and keep Gordon (and he stays on the field) and fix the OL, then it will be fair to see how Kizer does. That int vs the packers was lame though, so if he did more of that thru the season, then he needs to get used to the NFL.  

I would say the best help for a young struggling QB is a good OL and running game. Crowell is more than good enough with blocking, so the Browns could very well turn it around. I am not expecting a Rams turnaround but even 7 wins would be a start . Gordon and another WR with good OL and and running game should help. Williams might get another piece and then it could be Kizers year for the turnaround.  

4 hours ago, OleXmad said:

They were obviously trying to tank that's not even up for debate, the roster is clearly lacking talent and while it's not as bad as the jets roster it's still pretty bad. 

Hue Jackson isn't a terrible coach at all, he's a solid head coach who can actually turn the browns around if given a shot. But cleveland is going to fire him because cleveland. 

The players aren't trying to tank. The coach may be trying to tank but that just means the coach is terrible.

I'm not saying the Browns have a good roster but they have a roster that should win some games.

RB: Crowell/Duke Johnson
WR: Gordon/Coleman
TE: Njoku/Devalve
OL: 4 quality starters or better and a so-so RT
DL: Ogbah/Garrett/Shelton/Nassib/a slew of decent rookies
LB: Collins/Shobert/Kirksey
DB: McCourty/BBC/Taylor/Peppers

They are terrible at QB. Does that alone make a team winless? Probably depends on what kind of situation the coach puts him in. Kizer's coach put him in a position for his weaknesses to be exposed and threw the ball at a much higher rate than what makes any sense at all. Hue/Kizer are 95% of the reason they haven't won a game.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The players aren't trying to tank. The coach may be trying to tank but that just means the coach is terrible.

I'm not saying the Browns have a good roster but they have a roster that should win some games.

RB: Crowell/Duke Johnson
WR: Gordon/Coleman
TE: Njoku/Devalve
OL: 4 quality starters or better and a so-so RT
DL: Ogbah/Garrett/Shelton/Nassib/a slew of decent rookies
LB: Collins/Shobert/Kirksey
DB: McCourty/BBC/Taylor/Peppers

They are terrible at QB. Does that alone make a team winless? Probably depends on what kind of situation the coach puts him in. Kizer's coach put him in a position for his weaknesses to be exposed and threw the ball at a much higher rate than what makes any sense at all. Hue/Kizer are 95% of the reason they haven't won a game.

Not at all....Tanking was the plan the entire offseason, how does that make a coach terrible?

52 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Not at all....Tanking was the plan the entire offseason, how does that make a coach terrible?

Because the coach is trying to lose? We had the #1 pick locked down he could have stopped trying to lose awhile ago. He hasn't. Things have got worse.

17 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

He’s been given absolutely nothing by the Browns, no easy reads, nothing going on presnap. They’ve installed a veteran’s offense for a rookie QB who was raw coming out. It’s been a shambolic way o run an offense.

That might actually be good for his long term development, compared to the win now attitudes often taken with young mobile QBs who are often given simplified offenses without many reads and then to told to run. 

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Browns break quarterbacks.  If Jackson is back next year and they employ the same offense, Kizer will have been broken by this time next year.  If changes are made at the end of THIS YEAR, Kizer has hope to change. 

Whilst I agree that Hue Jackson runs an extremely dopey offense that does not align with Kizer's extremely limited capabilities, please tell me which QB the Browns have broken?

I hear this often but it's simply not true. The problem isn't the Browns breaking QBs. It's the Browns drafting broken QBs.

21 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

That might actually be good for his long term development, compared to the win now attitudes often taken with young mobile QBs who are often given simplified offenses without many reads and then to told to run. 

Theoretically it could be good. Kizer hasn't shown any progression though. He is still a 1 read QB who throws it late to his one read or into double/triple coverage. He is extremely careless in the red zone. While Hue's system may be complex, or just goofy, if you just stay with your 1st read it is pretty simple. Accuracy has also been an issue and if it is an issue when you are staring down a receiver the whole route I suspect it will get worse when you go to your second or third option and just see it and fire it. Maybe not though, maybe he thinks too much as he is throwing and he'll look better once he progresses to where he is comfortable making progressions and instincts take over instead of thinking about the throw. I'm not willing to wait and find out without adding a better prospect though.

On 12/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, everlong said:

Goff struggled due to piss poor coaching. Kizer is struggling because he's literally the stupidest starting QB.

Kizer isn’t stupid. He just can’t hit the broadside of a barn. 

Also he has the worst coach in the history of the NFL. 

But even with improved coaching he will still suck

He's young. He has accuracy issues. He has decision making issues. Starting year 1, especially on a poor team, is literally the worst thing that could have happened for him. He will now sit on the bench as QB2 for 3 years and get another shot when he is a free agent. Hopefully he learns a lot in those 3 years

edit: and yeah Hue sucks

Archived