2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

Figured I would make this thread separate from the scouting thread considering we can start narrowing down projects for our picks, trades, comps, rumors, etc. 

Draft Picks: 

• 1(6) 
  • 2(37) 
  • 2(49) via SEA 
  • 3(72) 
  • 4(___) 
  • 5(___) via DAL 
  • 6(___) 
  • 7(___) via SEA

Speaking Tuesday, coach Sean McVay hinted the Rams will rest their key starters for the Week 17 finale against the 49ers.

McVay said there will be some starters who will not play at all, suggesting that will likely be Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, and LT Andrew Whitworth. Gurley is in the running for the MVP and is sitting on 19 total touchdowns and could use the finale to pad his case and possibly get to 20 scores. It doesn’t sound like he’ll get that opportunity. The Rams are already locked into either the No. 3 or 4 seed in the NFC and will host a Wild Card round playoff game.

This is a big development for us. With the way the 49ers have been playing, you'd figure they can win a game against the Rams backups. If they were to win and we were to lose, we'd have the 7th pick at worst. If Tampa and Denver found ways to win, we could get up to 5. 

We are Panthers and Titans fans this week, if the 49ers lose we can still jump them by SoS. If Denver can win against KC that would be huge for our QB chances. I don't think they want to trade up but would take a QB if he's sitting there. I think if the standings stay the same:

Browns - Darnold

Giants - Rosen

Colts - Chubb

Browns - Trade with Bills - Allen

Bucs - Trade with Jets - Mayfield

Broncos - McGinchley

49ers - Barkley

Jets - Trade with Bucs - Fitzpatrick

5 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

This is a big development for us. With the way the 49ers have been playing, you'd figure they can win a game against the Rams backups. If they were to win and we were to lose, we'd have the 7th pick at worst. If Tampa and Denver found ways to win, we could get up to 5. 

Yes it is, even one move up in the draft is a big deal for us. So for one game I will be a huge fan of the 49ers. I think moving up to the #5 is a bit of a stretch, but you never know.

Moving up can be big in terms of just cost if we want to try and trade up if we don’t get Cousins in FA. It also can help our chances to get the top edge rusher in Chubb. Bc quite honestly I don’t value Key or Landry as 7th pick worthy. But if we can get to 5 or 6, the chances of Chubb slipping a tad is better obviously. Still unlikely, but Adams and Leo have fallen to us at 6 in previous drafts.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Moving up can be big in terms of just cost if we want to try and trade up if we don’t get Cousins in FA. It also can help our chances to get the top edge rusher in Chubb. Bc quite honestly I don’t value Key or Landry as 7th pick worthy. But if we can get to 5 or 6, the chances of Chubb slipping a tad is better obviously. Still unlikely, but Adams and Leo have fallen to us at 6 in previous drafts.

Aren't you the one who is constantly bashing the Jets for taking defense after defense after defense early in Round 1, historically?

Now you want Chubb?

Please Mr. Maccagnan, please focus on the QB's in Round 1. Thank you.

33 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Aren't you the one who is constantly bashing the Jets for taking defense after defense after defense early in Round 1, historically?

Now you want Chubb?

The thing is that there's a very realistic chance we address QB before the draft OR the opportunity to take a QB doesn't present itself in round 1. Chubb is excellent. I would not be bothered one bit if we drafted him.

The guy who I've really been focused on is Quenton Nelson. He's the Jamal Adams of this draft. Doesn't play a position you traditionally draft high (G), but checks every single box. He's going to be a great football player. 

15 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The thing is that there's a very realistic chance we address QB before the draft OR the opportunity to take a QB doesn't present itself in round 1. Chubb is excellent. I would not be bothered one bit if we drafted him.

The guy who I've really been focused on is Quenton Nelson. He's the Jamal Adams of this draft. Doesn't play a position you traditionally draft high (G), but checks every single box. He's going to be a great football player. 

This offensive line could use an elite player. 

9 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This offensive line could use an elite player. 

My feelings exactly. People will say "well we have Carpenter and Winters"... BS. I like Carpenter, but he's a very movable player. You trade or cut him, insert Nelson and immediately 3 positions get better (LT, LG, C). As crazy as it sounds, sign a competent C and add Nelson, all of a sudden we could have a top 12 offensive line. 

If Jets ended up in top 10, I would eye for WR Calvin Ridley or ILB Roquan Smith, not Quenton Nelson.

I would expect Jets not to draft any qb in first 2 rounds if they stupidly retained Todd Bowles.

If Jets want to invest in 1st round quarterback then they should trade out of top 10 and hire new head coach. 5th option would be much cheaper to pick up if a certain qb needed time to get everything together.

That's all I can say for Jets and a quarterback.

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Now you want Chubb?

Depends how we spend our money in FA. Ideally we get a QB, C and possibly another WR in FA. Leaving mainly just RB as a big need on offense. I would be all in on getting Barkley is he’s there I’ll say that. But if QB isn’t taking care of in FA than yes that’s a priority. Although I’m not high on Mayfield or Jackson really at this point that high. That can change throughout the pre draft process.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If Jets ended up in top 10, I would eye for WR Calvin Ridley or ILB Roquan Smith, not Quenton Nelson.

I would expect Jets not to draft any qb in first 2 rounds if they stupidly retained Todd Bowles.

If Jets want to invest in 1st round quarterback then they should trade out of top 10 and hire new head coach. 5th option would be much cheaper to pick up if a certain qb needed time to get everything together.

That's all I can say for Jets and a quarterback.

I wish this forum had a downvote

Just a unique scenario I'd like to see Browns fans chime in on... From what I've heard (and despite public perception), Patrick Mahomes was very much a John Dorsey selection while he was in KC. That doesn't mean Andy Reid didn't support it, but Dorsey was the one who was all over him from day 1. 

A year later, Alex Smith is having by far his best season as a pro. He's shown that he can throw down field, he's very much in his prime, and he is ascending. He'll be 34, but that's not necessary old for a QB anymore. The team got worse, but he continues to get better. Reid maintains staunch support for him, and in reality Mahomes will be stuck behind him for at least another year. The Chiefs are clearly a good football team despite their skid this year, but they're 1 or 2 great players away from being a perennial Super Bowl contender for the next 3 years. 

EDIT: Assuming Darnold does not declare and the John Dorsey/Josh Rosen disinterest is true

Browns fans: if he became available, would you be on board with sending the #1 pick to the Chiefs for Patrick Mahomes?

Posted this in the Browns forum. We will get to see a one week audition of Mahomes this week as he will be the starter against the Broncos. 

If somehow Mahomes were available, I'd send our 1st, 2nd, and possibly more for him. Loved him as a prospect and believe he'd be the #1 QB in this draft class. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Posted this in the Browns forum. We will get to see a one week audition of Mahomes this week as he will be the starter against the Broncos. 

If somehow Mahomes were available, I'd send our 1st, 2nd, and possibly more for him. Loved him as a prospect and believe he'd be the #1 QB in this draft class. 

When the last time nfl team traded away last year's 1st round qb?  

Archived