2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

@barnaby8787 You do realize you can only have 53 players on a roster right? We have 44 under contract - Mo, Skrine, Forte, Ijalana, Smith, Carpenter = 38 + Claiborne, Ealy, ASJ, Catanzaro, Davis, Enunwa = 44 + Jensen, Norwell, Cousins, and CB = 48 + 7 draft picks = 55 players not including UDFA

We have 44 under contract, but out of those 44, a lot won't be on the roster next year.  You're not accounting for current injuries to guys, etc.  So guys like Jahad Thomas who are currently on our roster right now will be on the 90 man roster going into camp, but won't crack the 53.  Right now we have a lot of no name guys rounding out the roster.  For example. you take a look at our centers, both Wes Johnson and Harrison are FA's.  You'd think at least one has to come back.

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

I never said they were can't miss. Teams still target guys they want and go get them so a trade back is possible in almost every scenario. All about how players are valued.

Titans jumped Giants for Jack Conklin then the Bears jumped them for Leonard Floyd and the Giants panicked and picked Eli Apple.

No one considered a RT and a small OLB can't miss prospects but they moved up for their guys.

Giants could have absolutely taken a RT, have you seen their line? and once he was off the board Floyd was a likely pick because JPP had just blown his fingers off one year earlier. Either way I'd consider this offseason a failure if we don't get Cousins because of money or we miss out on at the very least the 3rd QB in this draft because we were outbid.

4 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We have 44 under contract, but out of those 44, a lot won't be on the roster next year.  You're not accounting for current injuries to guys, etc.  So guys like Jahad Thomas who are currently on our roster right now will be on the 90 man roster going into camp, but won't crack the 53.  Right now we have a lot of no name guys rounding out the roster.  For example. you take a look at our centers, both Wes Johnson and Harrison are FA's.  You'd think at least one has to come back.

If we sign Jensen neither needs to come back, one thing Macc said he'd do in every draft is take OL, have to imagine he'd take one at some point or he could get an UDFA to be a backup. If you cut players that are under contract you free up money for different guys to round out the roster.

7 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Giants could have absolutely taken a RT, have you seen their line? and once he was off the board Floyd was a likely pick because JPP had just blown his fingers off one year earlier. Either way I'd consider this offseason a failure if we don't get Cousins because of money or we miss out on at the very least the 3rd QB in this draft because we were outbid.

Nah that's my point. Giants valued two prospects highly whom we wouldn't consider "can't miss" and yet teams still moved up to jump them. Just saying it's possible for teams to want to jump TB, Chicago, SF, etc... and we should be open to that if we don't like what's available. 

1 minute ago, rdelaney89 said:

If we sign Jensen neither needs to come back, one thing Macc said he'd do in every draft is take OL, have to imagine he'd take one at some point or he could get an UDFA to be a backup. If you cut players that are under contract you free up money for different guys to round out the roster.

Either way, our entire o-line depth, d-line depth, LB depth, and all of our TE's are FA's.  You have to bring some back bud.  Look at the list, it's going to eat up 10 mil.

O-Line: Johnson, Harrison, Qvale, Dozier

D-Line: Pennel, Cooper, Stinson, Ealy, Pelone

LB's: Bass, D. Davis, Stanford, Carter, Bishop

TE: ASJ, Gragg, Tomlinson, Sterling

15 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Either way, our entire o-line depth, d-line depth, LB depth, and all of our TE's are FA's.  You have to bring some back bud.  Look at the list, it's going to eat up 10 mil.

O-Line: Johnson, Harrison, Qvale, Dozier

D-Line: Pennel, Cooper, Stinson, Ealy, Pelone

LB's: Bass, D. Davis, Stanford, Carter, Bishop

TE: ASJ, Gragg, Tomlinson, Sterling

I'm sure we put players on IR that are returning that we'd like to see play. I also exaggerated every contract to prove a point, I don't expect all those players to receive max deals. $111M is going to go a long way to making this team better. I think since Carpenter is on his last year we won't target Norwell, and only target Jensen and take Nelson at #6 if we sign Cousins.

4 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I'm sure we put players on IR that are returning that we'd like to see play. I also exaggerated every contract to prove a point, I don't expect all those players to receive max deals. $111M is going to go a long way to making this team better. I think since Carpenter is on his last year we won't target Norwell, and only target Jensen and take Nelson at #6 if we sign Cousins.

Exaggerated which contracts?  The linemen?  We could cut Carp and move on, but we'll see.  If we sign Cousins, I agree that taking Nelson makes more sense.

43 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

He didn't draft an OLIneman last draft.

17 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Interesting scenario but what if Rosen/Sam/Baker/Barkley/Chubb are all off the board. What direction would you guys go?

SO, under this scenario, the Browns, Giants and Broncos take Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield (in whatever order), the Colts land Chubb and the Browns take Barkley? 

For me, this one would be easy...if that is how the draft goes, then welcome to Florham Park, Lamar Jackson!

Then, we can go for a RB and edge rusher in Round 2.

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

SO, under this scenario, the Browns, Giants and Broncos take Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield (in whatever order), the Colts land Chubb and the Browns take Barkley? 

For me, this one would be easy...if that is how the draft goes, then welcome to Florham Park, Lamar Jackson!

Then, we can go for a RB and edge rusher in Round 2.

I would be excited for Jackson but my gut is afraid of his body breaking down at his size.

8 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I would be excited for Jackson but my gut is afraid of his body breaking down at his size.

He’s bigger (and imo, better playing a similar style) than Taylor.  Rosen has missed more time due to injury than Jackson.

Archived