2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

Man we start a draft thread and the first few pages we are talking about an OG, WR, and ILB with a top 10 pick.  Have we learned nothing about what it takes to win in this league.  Maybe we should talk S and DT's too.

Obviously QB is the main priority but LT, CB, and Pass Rusher should be the only other positions we are focused on.  We have no cornerstone players in any of those positions so it's time we find some.

We have competent ILB's, WR's and OG's, no need to upgrade them when we have major holes elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Man we start a draft thread and the first few pages we are talking about an OG, WR, and ILB with a top 10 pick.  Have we learned nothing about what it takes to win in this league.  Maybe we should talk S and DT's too.

Obviously QB is the main priority but LT, CB, and Pass Rusher should be the only other positions we are focused on.  We have no cornerstone players in any of those positions so it's time we find some.

We have competent ILB's, WR's and OG's, no need to upgrade them when we have major holes elsewhere.

While I agree with this in general, Quenton Nelson is arguably the best player in the draft. If your not getting the QB and he's on the board, you take him and figure it out. Not much different than the Jamal Adams situation last year. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

While I agree with this in general, Quenton Nelson is arguably the best player in the draft. If your not getting the QB and he's on the board, you take him and figure it out. Not much different than the Jamal Adams situation last year. 

I've seen enough OG the past few years as can't miss players and the safest/best in the draft.  Many have busted like Warmack and Cooper so even if they play well we are upgrading a position of strength.  An upgrade to Carpenter is a poor use of resources.  

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

To me, drafting a guard in the top 10 is always a no-no.  Even though we need a ton of o-line help, you can sign guards or find them in the middle/later rounds if you know how to scout (which is obviously a problem, but still).

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've seen enough OG the past few years as can't miss players and the safest/best in the draft.  Many have busted like Warmack and Cooper so even if they play well we are upgrading a position of strength.  An upgrade to Carpenter is a poor use of resources.  

Agree 100%

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Carpenter is on the last year of his deal, coming off a down year. You're not tied to him. I understand your view with Warmack/Cooper, who were considered "safe" in a poor 2013 class, but Nelson is different. He's the perfect prospect - just happens to play guard. 

Carpenter is on the last year of his deal, coming off a down year. You're not tied to him. I understand your view with Warmack/Cooper, who were considered "safe" in a poor 2013 class, but Nelson is different. He's the perfect prospect - just happens to play guard. 

There's no such thing as the perfect prospect.  Luck was considered the perfect QB prospect and long-term, injuries have derailed the guy's career.

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I feel the same about Saquon Barkley. I think he immediately is a difference maker for us Day 1.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

There's no such thing as the perfect prospect.  Luck was considered the perfect QB prospect and long-term, injuries have derailed the guy's career.

The guy is 28 years old. Career far from over. And to compare a franchise QB - who's success depends much more on the organization around him (players, coaching, front office, ownership) - to a guard is probably not the right way to go. 

Quenton Nelson is a more athletic Zach Martin. If that's not worth a top 8 pick, I don't know what is. 

You have a guy like Dozier who has played solid in limited snaps and can always find OG's later in the draft that can play at a high level similar to RB's.

I don't ever hate upgrading the OL so don't get me wrong about that but with so many other holes the draft would have to really break badly for Nelson to be my top choice.  I mean if the top QB's and Chubb were gone then maybe but who knows how that is going to break.

Wouldn't hate the pick if he was the next great OG but would prefer the next Revis, Joe Thomas, or Von Miller instead.

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

The guy is 28 years old. Career far from over. And to compare a franchise QB - who's success depends much more on the organization around him (players, coaching, front office, ownership) - to a guard is probably not the right way to go. 

Quenton Nelson is a more athletic Zach Martin. If that's not worth a top 8 pick, I don't know what is. 

I'm just making the point that there's no perfect prospect.  And I'm not saying Nelson isn't a top 8 pick, I'm saying I wouldn't take a guard top 10 is all.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You have a guy like Dozier who has played solid in limited snaps and can always find OG's later in the draft that can play at a high level similar to RB's.

I don't ever hate upgrading the OL so don't get me wrong about that but with so many other holes the draft would have to really break badly for Nelson to be my top choice.  I mean if the top QB's and Chubb were gone then maybe but who knows how that is going to break.

Wouldn't hate the pick if he was the next great OG but would prefer the next Revis, Joe Thomas, or Von Miller instead.

I'm not disagreeing with the notion that OG's are easier to find, however, I felt the same about Jamal Adams last year. In most years, I'd never be on board with taking a safety with a top 6 pick. Adams was different. If your sitting there at 6/7/8 and there are no QBs and no pass rushers, you're either trading down or taking Nelson IMO. 

Archived