2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m always for going OLine in Round 1. It’s actually the only position we some to not miss on.

I don't think i'd take Billy Price top 10 even though they're saying he could be the best center prospect since Mangold.  McGlinchey top 10?  Of course. 

The thing is our OL has a bunch of average to below average guys.  Nelson has the potential to be an elite player. If we get Cousins, I want the Jets to get a player who can be elite with their first pick. Ideally it would be at the CB, LT or Edge position. But does that guy exist in this draft? 

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm not disagreeing with the notion that OG's are easier to find, however, I felt the same about Jamal Adams last year. In most years, I'd never be on board with taking a safety with a top 6 pick. Adams was different. If your sitting there at 6/7/8 and there are no QBs and no pass rushers, you're either trading down or taking Nelson IMO. 

There's a difference though.  Typically, the elite safeties are found in the 1st.  Look at where the best guards are found; it's scattered across the board. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm not disagreeing with the notion that OG's are easier to find, however, I felt the same about Jamal Adams last year. In most years, I'd never be on board with taking a safety with a top 6 pick. Adams was different. If your sitting there at 6/7/8 and there are no QBs and no pass rushers, you're either trading down or taking Nelson IMO. 

Agree 100%.  OL is very important to me so let me make that clear.  If Nelson is the BPA you have to consider it.  However if Chubb is there or you think Ward or FItzpatrick are lockdown CB's I'd value them higher due to positional value even if you have Nelson rated slightly higher.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

The thing is our OL has a bunch of average to below average guys.  Nelson has the potential to be an elite player. If we get Cousins, I want the Jets to get a player who can be elite with their first pick. Ideally it would be at the CB, LT or Edge position. But does that guy exist in this draft? 

Fitzpatrick (although he might be better at safety), B. Chubb, McGlinchey.  We're stuck with Winters for next year, so if we cut Carpenter, we need one guard.  Given our cap space, that's an easy fill in FA.

8 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't think i'd take Billy Price top 10 even though they're saying he could be the best center prospect since Mangold.  McGlinchey top 10?  Of course. 

I think what a lot don’t realize on an OLine is how much 1 it 2 really good players can make a difference. Just from the fact of not having to double team, allowing guys who aren’t as good to be able to work with help or 1 on 1s. Really opens up lanes in the running game and gives the QB time to throw. Beachum while he didn’t look bad this year, sure could be upgraded in the draft. I’d be interested to see if we did go OT early if we keep Beachum at LT this year the rookie at RT and try and move Shell to OG.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think what a lot don’t realize on an OLine is how much 1 it 2 really good players can make a difference. Just from the fact of not having to double team, allowing guys who aren’t as good to be able to work with help or 1 on 1s. Really opens up lanes in the running game and gives the QB time to throw. Beachum while he didn’t look bad this year, sure could be upgraded in the draft. I’d be interested to see if we did go OT early if we keep Beachum at LT this year the rookie at RT and try and move Shell to OG.

I'd be cool with that.  I just think we're better off signing a center or guard and then drafting another in the 2nd or 3rd or so.  Don't want us spending at top 10 pick on one when we can get a QB, edge, etc.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

If we invest in Cousins than drafting McGlinchey very well can be the pick. Invest in protecting the big dollars you just spent. I am all for a C in FA if we can, but if not Price or Ragnow need to be drafted for sure.

I agree 100%.  McGlinchey can start out on the right side this year and then transition over to LT next year.

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I agree 100%.  McGlinchey can start out on the right side this year and then transition over to LT next year.

He looks more like an elite RT to me.  If he does play LT he might struggle with speed rushers a times.  Overall he looks like a very good OT prospect though

I think Beachum and Shell played well this year. It's the interior that did us in.

I don't think that people realize how we changed our pass blocking scheme under Morton. We became an "inside-out" protection scheme this year, which put more pressure on the guards and center. It requires the interior to prevent all interior rush with the tackles solely managing the edge rush, as opposed to the traditional way which is for the 5 lineman to spread out and create a "pocket". Think of it as a hybrid man/ZBS. Guard is tremendously important in this scheme, and only teams that have good interiors can get away with it (entering the season we presumably did in Carpenter and Winters). The problem became that our interior did not handle the added responsibility well at all this year. Carpenter, Winters, and Johnson all regressed. According to PFF, Winters and Carpenter are rated 69th and 72nd among 80 qualifying guards as it pertains to pass blocking and Wes Johnson is last (35-of-35). Now, those numbers are naturally skewed because the added pressure on Gs is unnatural at the position and makes their job harder, thus a lower grade on PFF's scale, but we don't need advanced analytics to tell us how bad Johnson has been. Without a doubt he's the primary deficiency on the OL and is one of the primary reasons for Carpenter and Winters' "regression." Add a competent center to take pressure off Carp/Winters and this unit should improve, but add a C and Nelson, it can become an elite OL over night. Nelson will be great in any scheme, but he'd be an animal in this scheme because his unique blend of power, size, and athleticism. He can get anywhere you ask him to go, the strength to take out multiple interior rushers, and the intelligence to know who he needs to block in any given situation. It would be a perfect fit. 

Again, I'm not suggesting Nelson "no matter what" - but if we address QB before the draft/none available at our pick, there are no elite pass rushers on the board, he's the BPA, and there are no trade down scenarios - take him. 

I would have no problem resigning Claiborne, Ealy, Davis, ASJ, Catanzaro, 1st round tender Enunwa. That should bring us down from $94M to what $60M. I'd give Cousins:

6 year $168M with $75M Guaranteed

Year 1 - $40M

Year 2 - $35M

Year 3 - $24M

Year 4 - $23M

Year 5 - $23M

Year 6 - $23M

Average of $28M per year and will be lower than 12% of the cap his last 4 years of his deal. Then I'd cap off FA with Ryan Jensen on a 5 year $50M deal. Then that leaves you $10M for the draft class and inseason moves.

I could get on board with Nelson round 1, Pass Rusher or Corner round 2a, RB with 2b, and then Pass Rusher or Cornerback in the 3rd.

Our offense would be legit, defense you'd have a weakness at CB or Edge most likely but you get an opportunity to attempt to replace them with high picks.

My heart wants Darnold or Mayfield but this type of offseason would be absolutely magical.

Archived