2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I don’t think Mahomes is Worth that price regardless of how good or bad he plays this week. But the bigger thing is why would KC do that? They traded up for him and he very well might be their starting QB next year and for a long time. Smith is only guaranteed 3mill next year (very cuttable).

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think Mahomes is Worth that price regardless of how good or bad he plays this week. But the bigger thing is why would KC do that? They traded up for him and he very well might be their starting QB next year and for a long time. Smith is only guaranteed 3mill next year (very cuttable).

Also, Chiefs are playing him in the final week in order to get wet for playoff games in case. You know Reid is always a playoff choker. If Smith can't move the offense then try Mahomes for recharging the offense. 

Just now, JetsandI said:

When the last time nfl team traded away last year's 1st round qb?  

The most similar situation I can remember where a very high draft pick got traded the following year was when Brett Favre went 33rd in the 2nd round and was traded for the 19th pick the following year. In that situation, Ron Wolf wanted him badly while personal director of our team (the Jets), and traded for him when he became GM of the Packers. 

This is a unique scenario where the guy who was at the forefront of drafting him (Dorsey) was fired after the draft. I know for sure Dorsey was the catalyst in drafting Mahomes - my best friends dad (large shareholder of the Packers) is close with Dorsey and told me about how he loved Mahomes long before he became a popular name in draft circles. 

Andy is an Alex Smith loyalist, and Alex has gotten better every year. He became truly elite this year. Andy obviously likes Mahomes, but maybe he'd prefer the draft picks and go for that championship with Alex and draft/develop other QBs. It's not likely, but it's something to think about... especially if Alex lights it up in the playoffs this year. 

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

When the last time nfl team traded away last year's 1st round qb?  

When's the last time a GM of a team switched teams after taking a QB top 10 and owns the #1 overall pick the following year with his new team. I'd bet that doesn't happen too often either.

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

The most similar situation I can remember where a very high draft pick got traded the following year was when Brett Favre went 33rd in the 2nd round and was traded for the 19th pick the following year. In that situation, Ron Wolf wanted him badly while personal director of our team (the Jets), and traded for him when he became GM of the Packers. 

This is a unique scenario where the guy who was at the forefront of drafting him (Dorsey) was fired after the draft. I know for sure Dorsey was the catalyst in drafting Mahomes - my best friends dad (large shareholder of the Packers) is close with Dorsey and told me about how he loved Mahomes long before he became a popular name in draft circles. 

Andy is an Alex Smith loyalist, and Alex has gotten better every year. He became truly elite this year. Andy obviously likes Mahomes, but maybe he'd prefer the draft picks and go for that championship with Alex and draft/develop other QBs. It's not likely, but it's something to think about... especially if Alex lights it up in the playoffs this year. 

Are you actually in the society of people who are in relationship with NFL? Damn.

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Also for draft positioning... 

with the Chiefs essentially benching their starters for the final game, this makes the DEN/KC matchup that much more interesting. If DEN and SF pull out wins and we lose, we'd be locked into the 6th pick. 

That means Jets could get better deal after trading out of top 10.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I find myself not really loving anyone high in the draft outside of Rosen, Chubb and Barkley.

I'm a Mayfield guy, but maybe i'm alone in that regard.  I'd taken Rosen or Darnold over him, but i'd still take him.  Not that high on Barkley personally. 

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

I'm a Mayfield guy, but maybe i'm alone in that regard.  I'd taken Rosen or Darnold over him, but i'd still take him.  Not that high on Barkley personally. 

I'll be honest I'm not sure I like Rosen like I did earlier this year. I think he is the most NFL ready and likely has the highest floor but his concussions and attitude are a turn off for me. He feels like he'd be a guy I can see retiring early too, I have nothing to back that up but I think him being a smart guy with head issues already leads me to that conclusion.

I'm really high on Darnold and Mayfield. I'd be so upset if Mayfield is on the board and we go another direction.

Quenton Nelson can move for his size but he may not get comfortable with ZBS like James Carpenter. He is really powerful mauler. Since Bowles and Maccagnan's days as HC and GM are numbered it is really dumb to draft Nelson in top 10. No question.  New GM or new HC may switch to angling scheme and Nelson becomes obsolete, thus a wasted top 10 pick.  You guys have been accusing the Johnsons of being football illiterate. Cross him off.

Calvin Ridley runs routes very well and could fit any scheme he is called for. He also could be number one WR which Jets lack of. Any coach could design offense that works for him. Good value for an unknown direction from Jets, barring his shady character and injury.

Roquan Smith would become a defense's leader in any scheme. David Harris' young leadership has been missed. Smith offers more athleticism and intelligence to play Rodgers' mix defense.  Also, in case if Jets made a switch to 4-3, Smith is fully ready MLB.

If Jets aren't able to draft Rosen then either Ridley or Smith will be well used for Jets.  We can't pretend that Jets will keep Bowles for another 3 years or find new one that runs the similarity. In fact, we face the ******* uncertainty among Bowles and Maccagnan.

I’m with @rdelaney89 regarding Rosen. I know it’s unfair but I keep seeing Cutler. At the senior bowl i’m  looking forward to seeing Mike White and Kyle Lauletta but mostly I’m extremely interested in Mayfield’s true measurements. 

At RB, i’m interested in seeing Penny, Ballage, Wadley and Freeman, as well as WRs Ateman, Gallup and Lazard. I think all are currently in that 3rd-4th round range

at OT I’m looking forward to seeing Okorafor, Rankin, Crosby and that DII kid Desmond Harrison. Cole and Ragnow are two Centers i’d be interested in if we don’t get one in FA.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, JetsandI said:

If Jets ended up in top 10, I would eye for WR Calvin Ridley or ILB Roquan Smith, not Quenton Nelson.

I would expect Jets not to draft any qb in first 2 rounds if they stupidly retained Todd Bowles.

If Jets want to invest in 1st round quarterback then they should trade out of top 10 and hire new head coach. 5th option would be much cheaper to pick up if a certain qb needed time to get everything together.

That's all I can say for Jets and a quarterback.

You have a point Calvin Ridley is very interesting, he play with a QB who can't get him the ball. That QB for Bama is always looking to run. If Ridley falls in the draft, he could be a late second or third round pick. He could be a great pick with our second third round pick.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

You have a point Calvin Ridley is very interesting, he play with a QB who can't get him the ball. That QB for Bama is always looking to run. If Ridley falls in the draft, he could be a late second or third round pick. He could be a great pick with our second third round pick.

He’s the #1 WR in the draft. He won’t fall outside the top 20 at worst.

Archived