2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

If we were to land Cousins in all for trading down, gets as many picks to fill holes as possible

We say trade down every year and we never do. It’s a lot more realistic to just think of who we should target if we address QB with Cousins and who we should draft at 6. Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are the names that immediately stick out to me.

12 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree. I'd trade back and make Nelson our target. 

I though the same think about Nelson,& McGlinchey, But I have two friends that are alumni from ND and they both said the same thing neither one is that good. I saw the Miami game where McGlinchey looked slow footed. They said both are ok but not as good as you think they are. And these two guy are hard core ND supporters.

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I though the same think about Nelson,& McGlinchey, But I have two friends that are alumni from ND and they both said the same thing neither one is that good. I saw the Miami game where McGlinchey looked slow footed. They said both are ok but not as good as you think they are. And these two guy are hard core ND supporters.

McGlinchey has a few questions but Nelson is a star. Unless we plug several holes in FA I just can’t get behind choosing a G at 6. And I hate the saying of just trade back and target him. Trading back is not easy. That’s why we’ve literally haven’t traded back in Round 1 except 3 times in the franchises career 05, 97, 93. Needless to say it’s far fetched we trade down. 

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

McGlinchey will probably be the 3rd OT taken so he's not in play at 6.  Nelson looks the part of a great guard but he's a guard so not a high priority like RB for me.

Assuming Cousins is signed the names to watch are Chubb, Edmunds, and Davenport.  All will be in play at 6 and all look like they could be great LB's.  Nelson would also be an option I assume just not my top choice.

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

McGlinchey will probably be the 3rd OT taken so he's not in play at 6.  Nelson looks the part of a great guard but he's a guard so not a high priority like RB for me.

Assuming Cousins is signed the names to watch are Chubb, Edmunds, and Davenport.  All will be in play at 6 and all look like they could be great LB's.  Nelson would also be an option I assume just not my top choice.

I think either Barkley, Chubb and Fitzpatrick will be our pick if Cousins is signed. I do think a Cousins will want a great RB here in order to sign. So we might have to promise him we take Barkley at 6 (if available) or for sure grab one at 37 like Michel or Guice. He loved Thompson this past season let’s no forget.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

McGlinchey has a few questions but Nelson is a star. Unless we plug several holes in FA I just can’t get behind choosing a G at 6. And I hate the saying of just trade back and target him. Trading back is not easy. That’s why we’ve literally haven’t traded back in Round 1 except 3 times in the franchises career 05, 97, 93. Needless to say it’s far fetched we trade down. 

If we do trade down it will be a last minute decision off course. Seems we are starting to put all our eggs in one basket meaning Cousins, were better have a plan B. If we are lucky enough to land Cousins we will be in great shape to use our draft picks and money.

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think either Barkley, Chubb and Fitzpatrick will be our pick if Cousins is signed. I do think a Cousins will want a great RB here in order to sign. So we might have to promise him we take Barkley at 6 (if available) or for sure grab one at 37 like Michel or Guice. He loved Thompson this past season let’s no forget.

I don't see why we'd need a great RB.  With the SEA pick or our 3rd we could land a good RB to compliment McGuire and be just fine.

I think with all his OL issues this past year in WAS if we tell him we are beefing the OL that would get him more excited than a good RB.  A RB is only as good as his OL.

I think McGuire is the type of RB he love, see his work with Thompson (ie a great pass catcher).  

Fitzpatrick is an interesting target though even though he's a FS/CB hybrid and we took two last year.  Bowles loves 3 safeties and Fitz can matchup man to man on most TE's with no issues.  That would free up Adams to play the hybrid WILL/SS and Maye to roam at FS.  His ability to play nickel and cover TE's is Honey Badger-esque and his ability to blitz and play the run is interesting.  Plus he's a leader like Adams so our secondary would be filled with them.  We'd have Adams, Maye, Fitz, Claiborne and hopefully a big FA signing like Fuller/Johnson.  That would give us a dangerous secondary and allow Bowles to do what he loves and blitz.

19 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If we do trade down it will be a last minute decision off course. Seems we are starting to put all our eggs in one basket meaning Cousins, were better have a plan B. If we are lucky enough to land Cousins we will be in great shape to use our draft picks and money.

If Den lands Cousins then plan B is Mayfield since he would likely land in our laps at 6.  Win win in my eyes if that happens.  We either land Cousins and grab a great rusher/cover man or a good QB prospect falls in our laps.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

I don't see why we'd need a great RB.  With the SEA pick or our 3rd we could land a good RB to compliment McGuire and be just fine.

I think with all his OL issues this past year in WAS if we tell him we are beefing the OL that would get him more excited than a good RB.  A RB is only as good as his OL.

I think McGuire is the type of RB he love, see his work with Thompson (ie a great pass catcher).  

Fitzpatrick is an interesting target though even though he's a FS/CB hybrid and we took two last year.  Bowles loves 3 safeties and Fitz can matchup man to man on most TE's with no issues.  That would free up Adams to play the hybrid WILL/SS and Maye to roam at FS.  His ability to play nickel and cover TE's is Honey Badger-esque and his ability to blitz and play the run is interesting.  Plus he's a leader like Adams so our secondary would be filled with them.  We'd have Adams, Maye, Fitz, Claiborne and hopefully a big FA signing like Fuller/Johnson.  That would give us a dangerous secondary and allow Bowles to do what he loves and blitz.

Your RB is only as good as his OLine is true. But not when you’re a receiving back like Thompson was. Thompson is vastly inferior to McGuire, to compare the 2 is a slap in the face to Thompson. McGuire should stay as a 3rd RB getting 5 or less touches a game.

And I agree with everything you said about Mincah.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Your RB is only as good as his OLine is true. But not when you’re a receiving back like Thompson was. Thompson is vastly inferior to McGuire, to compare the 2 is a slap in the face to Thompson. McGuire should stay as a 3rd RB getting 5 or less touches a game.

And I agree with everything you said about Mincah.

That was a bit confusing.  Thompson is inferior to McGuire?  Did you mean the other way around since you think McGuire should get only 5 touches.  

They are both elite pass catching RB's.  McGuire still has to prove it more but he was a sparsely used rookie last year behind two other RB's.  McGuire can play the roll of Thompson even if he isn't as proven.  McGuire was a great pass catcher in college and will be just fine in the 3rd down role.  We need bell cow in front of him still though which we can get with the SEA or 3rd round pick.  

Just watch McGuire step up with better QB play and a better OL.  He'll be the perfect 3rd down back.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

That was a bit confusing.  Thompson is inferior to McGuire?  Did you mean the other way around since you think McGuire should get only 5 touches.  

They are both elite pass catching RB's.  McGuire still has to prove it more but he was a sparsely used rookie last year behind two other RB's.  McGuire can play the roll of Thompson even if he isn't as proven.  McGuire was a great pass catcher in college and will be just fine in the 3rd down role.  We need bell cow in front of him still though which we can get with the SEA or 3rd round pick.  

Yes I typed it wrong McGuire is inferior to Thompson is what I meant. And I can’t see this debate going anywhere if you think McGuire is and “Elite” pass catching RB. So I’ll just stop it there.

I am starting to like the idea of drafting Bradley Chubb sixth overall. If he and Williams can bookend the D-line for the next decade, with the two safeties behind them, I think that could be the start of what will hopefully be a dominant defense. 

Of course, I hate the idea of signing Kirk Cousins. So, the QB contingency plan if we do NOT take a QB at six would be sketchy, at best.

All I know is that I'd rather still be searching for my QB of the future after this off-season than make Kirk Cousins the highest-paid player in the NFL. That's for damn sure.

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am starting to like the idea of drafting Bradley Chubb sixth overall. If he and Williams can bookend the D-line for the next decade, with the two safeties behind them, I think that could be the start of what will hopefully be a dominant defense. 

Of course, I hate the idea of signing Kirk Cousins. So, the QB contingency plan if we do NOT take a QB at six would be sketchy, at best.

All I know is that I'd rather still be searching for my QB of the future after this off-season than make Kirk Cousins the highest-paid player in the NFL. That's for damn sure.

Chubb would play Rush LB with us which I'd be stoked with. Just need to hope Jenkins continues to develop or sign a guy and we'd have a very promising duo.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes I typed it wrong McGuire is inferior to Thompson is what I meant. And I can’t see this debate going anywhere if you think McGuire is and “Elite” pass catching RB. So I’ll just stop it there.

That was his best attribute in college was his hands.  He's not elite numbers wise but could be if given the opportunity and a QB like Cousins who can put the ball in the right spot.  You blasted Robby Anderson last year because of his numbers, he's unproven, etc and I defend him because you could see his abilities flashed.  Time to start looking at the player and not the stats.  Anderson was put in position this year and exploded week after week with big plays.  McGuire's abilities as a pass catcher are extremely impressive and if you've watched closely enough you could see that he could be that type of RB.

His hands and pass catching ability are probably his best attributes so there is no reason he can't be a great pass catching RB on 3rd downs.

Archived