Jump to content

2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick


jetskid007

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

The one thing that I love about Mayfield's game is that he makes less mistakes than any QB in college football.  I feel like his floor is Tyrod Taylor personally.  Ceiling is Russell Wilson.

His floor is Manziel 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

The one thing that I love about Mayfield's game is that he makes less mistakes than any QB in college football.  I feel like his floor is Tyrod Taylor personally.  Ceiling is Russell Wilson.

Problem is he’s not nearly as athletic as either of them. 

If absolutely EVERYTHING went right, he can be a Tony Romo/Drew Brees caliber player. Brees had the same kind of playing style, strengths/weaknesses when he was in college. However that’s an unrealistic bar to reach. 

More realistically I see him as an Andy Dalton/Dak Prescott level QB. He’s a guy that I think can play really well on a good team, but I’m not sure whether Mayfield can put an NFL team on his back and be a consistent winner. Russell Wilson was that and then continued to develop into a franchise QB. Hard to say if Mayfield can, but at the very least should be a solid starter in the right situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Problem is he’s not nearly as athletic as either of them. 

If absolutely EVERYTHING went right, he can be a Tony Romo/Drew Brees caliber player. Brees had the same kind of playing style, strengths/weaknesses when he was in college. However that’s an unrealistic bar to reach. 

More realistically I see him as an Andy Dalton/Dak Prescott level QB. He’s a guy that I think can play really well on a good team, but I’m not sure whether Mayfield can put an NFL team on his back and be a consistent winner. Russell Wilson was that and then continued to develop into a franchise QB. Hard to say if Mayfield can, but at the very least should be a solid starter in the right situation. 

Interested to hear your perspective on his attitude and antics?!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Interested to hear your perspective on his attitude and antics?!?!

Definitely not thrilled about them. It's annoying because so much to like about him and Rosen, but both present question marks in that category for different reasons. I think pairing Mayfield with McCown could be really good - both Texas boys, natural born leader types, fiery competitors, but McCown knows how to be professional about it and can teach Mayfield how to be as well. Not so sure about Rosen... I know the natural inclination is to downplay the whole "attitude" thing, but I do think it's concerning. To be great, he's got to be 10000% focused on football. Fair or unfair, that's the job. It's why it's the toughest position in sports. He's a smart guy, he knows what needs to be done; it's a question if he wants to. Can shelve that entitlement issue and his impulsive desire to be "authentic/outspoken", be willing to work with adults in the NFL who are going to demand his respect, and understand his place in the organizational hierarchy? If he can mature the way Ben Roethlisberger did and dedicate himself to the game, he can be great. Difference is you question how Rosen will respond if things don't go his way... Will he give up? Will he rebel? Will he care?

A lot of psychoanalysis that needs to happen that I can't speak to, but purely from a "character" standpoint, I'd probably feel more comfortable with Mayfield than Rosen in that regard. In terms of ability, Rosen hands down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I think Mayfield is the real deal. I think the question with him is how good can he be rather than if he’ll bust. In the right scheme (ours is a good fit for his game) he should be a solid starting QB... I question his upside more than anything. 

I have had my sights on mayfield since about week 4 or 5 this season. Guy is a pure gamer, his adjusted completion percentage if you count drops is 80%. He seems like the perfect fit for this team but I have a feeling we get Cousins and never get the chance which I'm okay with I suppose. I think Darnold coming out will depend on how hard I want us to pursue Cousins because that would drop one more young QB down to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I have had my sights on mayfield since about week 4 or 5 this season. Guy is a pure gamer, his adjusted completion percentage if you count drops is 80%. He seems like the perfect fit for this team but I have a feeling we get Cousins and never get the chance which I'm okay with I suppose. I think Darnold coming out will depend on how hard I want us to pursue Cousins because that would drop one more young QB down to us.

Mayfields system has a lot to do with that high competition percentage. Much like a Texas Tech QB or Washington State QB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as Offensive line go, two of the three top players in the draft are from ND, Mike McGlinchey & Connor Nelson, the third player is OT Connor Williams from Texas. I am sure all three will be gone in the first round. Out side of those three players, it seems that this is not a strong year for O lineman.

Interesting thing I just read on the Pats forum that they were talking more about Hack than we do, and they think Petty flat out stinks. They said they heard that a rumor  Hack might play today. I never heard that.

Now that the Giants have cut their starting O tackle, and their O tine is terrible, do they pass on a QB and go O line? Knowing the Giants that might be a stretch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Problem is he’s not nearly as athletic as either of them. 

If absolutely EVERYTHING went right, he can be a Tony Romo/Drew Brees caliber player. Brees had the same kind of playing style, strengths/weaknesses when he was in college. However that’s an unrealistic bar to reach. 

More realistically I see him as an Andy Dalton/Dak Prescott level QB. He’s a guy that I think can play really well on a good team, but I’m not sure whether Mayfield can put an NFL team on his back and be a consistent winner. Russell Wilson was that and then continued to develop into a franchise QB. Hard to say if Mayfield can, but at the very least should be a solid starter in the right situation. 

He is "nearly" as athletic.  Is he as athletic?  Probably not, but he's still a very good athlete.  Dak is a far comp as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Such a lazy comparison. 

Attitude and cockiness issues: check

Undersized: check

Like to create throwing lanes with their legs: check

Spread offense QBs: check

Have had good talent around them: check

Not a lazy comparison at all. Some of you just love the guy bc if his completition % and love his attitude thinking it’s a positive. When it’s not. His college teammates love him that’s it. Not a single NFL teammate would like a single thing he does. His attitude and cockiness doesn’t transfer over to the NFL. He’s not confident, he’s a cocky punk. And those lanes he creates won’t be open in the NFL. And getting the snap and throwing to 1 read like he does quite often doesn’t fly either in the NFL. Mahomes last year came from a similar offensive set up and the best thing for him was to sit. Atleast he didn’t have attitude issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Attitude and cockiness issues: check

Undersized: check

Like to create throwing lanes with their legs: check

Spread offense QBs: check

Have had good talent around them: check

Not a lazy comparison at all. Some of you just love the guy bc if his completition % and love his attitude thinking it’s a positive. When it’s not. His college teammates love him that’s it. Not a single NFL teammate would like a single thing he does. His attitude and cockiness doesn’t transfer over to the NFL. He’s not confident, he’s a cocky punk. And those lanes he creates won’t be open in the NFL. And getting the snap and throwing to 1 read like he does quite often doesn’t fly either in the NFL. Mahomes last year came from a similar offensive set up and the best thing for him was to sit. Atleast he didn’t have attitude issues.

No it is a lazy comp, but i'll explain.  In terms of attitude, both are immature.  The difference is that Manziel was all about himself; Mayfield is a team guy.  His teammates love him.  Manziel was an entitled rich kid that wanted to be a star for the fame and the money.  Mayfield plays with a chip on his shoulder and is all passion.  The crotch grab thing, etc. is nonsense though and he does need to grow up. But you look at him on the sidelines interacting with his teammates and you'll see leadership qualities and that his teammates love him. A few other things about playstyle, Manziel was a run first QB, Mayfield is a pass first.  Although, he has to learn to stay in the pocket and not bail.  He's a much better passer than Manziel though while Manziel was the better playmaker.  In terms of Mahomes sitting, i'd be cool with Mayfield sitting a year either way or letting him competing in camp.  And the throwing to 1 read comment is nonsense because 90% of college QB's don't go through their progressions because they don't need to and if you look in the NFL, a large portion of starters didn't go through many reads in college either.  Goff is the perfect example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Attitude and cockiness issues: check

Undersized: check

Like to create throwing lanes with their legs: check

Spread offense QBs: check

Have had good talent around them: check

Not a lazy comparison at all. Some of you just love the guy bc if his completition % and love his attitude thinking it’s a positive. When it’s not. His college teammates love him that’s it. Not a single NFL teammate would like a single thing he does. His attitude and cockiness doesn’t transfer over to the NFL. He’s not confident, he’s a cocky punk. And those lanes he creates won’t be open in the NFL. And getting the snap and throwing to 1 read like he does quite often doesn’t fly either in the NFL. Mahomes last year came from a similar offensive set up and the best thing for him was to sit. Atleast he didn’t have attitude issues.

I think he's closer to Russel Wilson, Johnny always looked to keep the ball and would lob it up to Mike Evans.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Interested to hear your perspective on his attitude and antics?!?!

 

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No it is a lazy comp, but i'll explain.  In terms of attitude, both are immature.  The difference is that Manziel was all about himself; Mayfield is a team guy.  His teammates love him.  Manziel was an entitled rich kid that wanted to be a star for the fame and the money.  Mayfield plays with a chip on his shoulder and is all passion.  The crotch grab thing, etc. is nonsense though and he does need to grow up. But you look at him on the sidelines interacting with his teammates and you'll see leadership qualities and that his teammates love him. A few other things about playstyle, Manziel was a run first QB, Mayfield is a pass first.  Although, he has to learn to stay in the pocket and not bail.  He's a much better passer than Manziel though while Manziel was the better playmaker.  In terms of Mahomes sitting, i'd be cool with Mayfield sitting a year either way or letting him competing in camp.  And the throwing to 1 read comment is nonsense because 90% of college QB's don't go through their progressions because they don't need to and if you look in the NFL, a large portion of starters didn't go through many reads in college either.  Goff is the perfect example. 

The only player I have a concern about with a attitude about is Rosen. He comes from a very influence family. He has all the tools to be a great QB. The big question does he have the heart. He is smart guy, I don't care if he is cocky or out spoken. How is going to play when things don't go right on the field. I have been pushing Rosen for two full years, I still think he is the best QB in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, doumeyer said:

 

The only player I have a concern about with a attitude about is Rosen. He comes from a very influence family. He has all the tools to be a great QB. The big question does he have the heart. He is smart guy, I don't care if he is cocky or out spoken. How is going to play when things don't go right on the field. I have been pushing Rosen for two full years, I still think he is the best QB in the draft.

My favorite QB in the draft is Rosen as well.  Personally, my two fears are how he'd handle the NY Media and injuries.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.




×
×
  • Create New...