2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

15 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

No it is a lazy comp, but i'll explain.  In terms of attitude, both are immature.  The difference is that Manziel was all about himself; Mayfield is a team guy.  His teammates love him.  Manziel was an entitled rich kid that wanted to be a star for the fame and the money.  Mayfield plays with a chip on his shoulder and is all passion.  The crotch grab thing, etc. is nonsense though and he does need to grow up. But you look at him on the sidelines interacting with his teammates and you'll see leadership qualities and that his teammates love him. A few other things about playstyle, Manziel was a run first QB, Mayfield is a pass first.  Although, he has to learn to stay in the pocket and not bail.  He's a much better passer than Manziel though while Manziel was the better playmaker.  In terms of Mahomes sitting, i'd be cool with Mayfield sitting a year either way or letting him competing in camp.  And the throwing to 1 read comment is nonsense because 90% of college QB's don't go through their progressions because they don't need to and if you look in the NFL, a large portion of starters didn't go through many reads in college either.  Goff is the perfect example. 

Manziel actually threw the ball more than Mayfield in his final year. He ran a tad more than Mayfield as well. Obviously A&M ran quite a bit more plays. But the percentages work out to be just about equal in terms of pass to run rate. So to say Manziel was run 1st when Mayfield isn’t, just isn't true. Manziel just did it better. They both threw right at 70% as well. And I remember Manziel actually trying to throw from the pocket more his final year to show he’s not just a throw on the run and create lanes QB. Mayfield does this too. And he had success just like Manziel. Fact is though, they both come from systems set up for high competition percentages and big time stats. Add his size and intangibles and Mayfield IMO isn’t a top 10 pick. He’s certainly has leadership qualities. He also has cockiness issues as well. There’s a difference between playing with a chip on your shoulder and being a leader than being a cocky punk. To use a comparison unrelated to show how this works in other situations. Vontaze Burficts teammates love him, the fans love him. But he’s a cocky punk at the end of the day. It’s nit a huge deal Bc he’s a LB, but when it’s your QB it’s not good for that to be what your team represents. And to think that will change the day he’s drafted is just kidding yourself.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Manziel actually threw the ball more than Mayfield in his final year. He ran a tad more than Mayfield as well. Obviously A&M ran quite a bit more plays. But the percentages work out to be just about equal in terms of pass to run rate. So to say Manziel was run 1st when Mayfield isn’t, just isn't true. Manziel just did it better. They both threw right at 70% as well. And I remember Manziel actually trying to throw from the pocket more his final year to show he’s not just a throw on the run and create lanes QB. Mayfield does this too. And he had success just like Manziel. Fact is though, they both come from systems set up for high competition percentages and big time stats. Add his size and intangibles and Mayfield IMO isn’t a top 10 pick. He’s certainly has leadership qualities. He also has cockiness issues as well. There’s a difference between playing with a chip on your shoulder and being a leader than being a cocky punk. To use a comparison unrelated to show how this works in other situations. Vontaze Burficts teammates love him, the fans love him. But he’s a cocky punk at the end of the day. It’s nit a huge deal Bc he’s a LB, but when it’s your QB it’s not good for that to be what your team represents. And to think that will change the day he’s drafted is just kidding yourself.

Manziel ran 27.8% of the time in college.  Mayfield has ran 24.7% of the time with the majority coming his first year in OU's offense.  If you look at their heisman years, Mayfield ran 18.7% of the time to Manziel's 25.1% of the time.  Mayfield has much more patience in the pocket than Johnny ever did and again, Mayfield is a much better passer than Johnny. Also, how is he a cocky punk?  Because of the crotch grab?  You ever listen to a press conference?  The guy never comes off cocky in a press conference.  Also, the whole changing the day he's drafted thing is nonsense.  Favre had a ton of issues early in his career and in college and change.  Plenty of guy's do with the right leadership.  Others continue to be idiots.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Manziel ran 27.8% of the time in college.  Mayfield has ran 24.7% of the time with the majority coming his first year in OU's offense.  If you look at their heisman years, Mayfield ran 18.7% of the time to Manziel's 25.1% of the time.  Mayfield has much more patience in the pocket than Johnny ever did and again, Mayfield is a much better passer than Johnny. Also, how is he a cocky punk?  Because of the crotch grab?  You ever listen to a press conference?  The guy never comes off cocky in a press conference.  Also, the whole changing the day he's drafted thing is nonsense.  Favre had a ton of issues early in his career and in college and change.  Plenty of guy's do with the right leadership.  Others continue to be idiots.

And that risk isn’t worth a top 10 pick. Not for a franchise like us. Who’s starving for a QB.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

My favorite QB in the draft is Rosen as well.  Personally, my two fears are how he'd handle the NY Media and injuries.  

The NY media will love him he is Jewish. Same reason my Jewish, wife loves him. Sid Luckman with the Chicago Bears was the last great Jewish QB in the NFL and that was back in the late forties.

You do have a point how will he handle injuries,, he already had two concussions.

7 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

So was Jameis not worth a top 10 pick at the time?

Jamies was light years ahead of Mayfield from a talent perspective. System wise, reading defenses wise. Plus he didn’t have size issues. But in hindsight Winston hasn’t played like a top 10 draft pick now has he. And you still see some maturity issues with Jameis on the sideline. The difference is Mayfields lack of respect is to opposing teams. Rubbing fans and everyone wrong way. Winston and Manziel were off the field cases.

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Jamies was light years ahead of Mayfield from a talent perspective. System wise, reading defenses wise. Plus he didn’t have size issues. But in hindsight Winston hasn’t played like a top 10 draft pick now has he. And you still see some maturity issues with Jameis on the sideline. The difference is Mayfields lack of respect is to opposing teams. Rubbing fans and everyone wrong way. Winston and Manziel were off the field cases.

Winston was also a turnover machine and his off-field concerns were very serious.  Also, Winston had the same on field issues that Mayfield does.  He was prone to reacting on the field and acting like a baby, which have carried over into the NFL as well. I won't argue that he's more advance than Mayfield though.

Manziel wasn't committed to football. He never really gave himself a chance in the NFL. Even in college, if he felt it was an easy win, he wouldn't read the gameplan. He had success simply because he was that much better than everyone else. This obviously didn't fly in the NFL. 

Mayfield doesn't have a commitment issue. Probably the exact opposite actually. His teammate clearly love him.  He needs to become more muture. 

45 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If Mayfield was 1.5 inches taller he would be the first QB taken. That kid can flat out play. Goes and competes every single game. I think the Manziel comparisons are completely far-fetched. The team that drafts Baker Mayfield will not regret it.

If he shows really well in the senior bowl, he may very well be the first QB taken.

6 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

He is going to be a very good football player if he commits to it. That kid his has it. Simple as that. 

Parlaying what I was saying before, I honestly think he's the safest QB in the draft. He has the immaturity stuff, but this guy is 100000% committed to football. He's not a bad kid, just got himself into some bad situations. He's not going to be a Manziel. The Jameis comparison is very legit because like Jameis, his teammates/coaches/organization loves him and Mayfield is not nearly the knucklehead Jameis was off the field. His drinking infraction is much more like Dak's... it was a mistake, but everyone knew that he was a good character person off the field and had insane football character. More than anything, I question his upside. 

Archived