Senior Bowl 2018

Mind Character

12 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Oh yeah, I hear you. I was legitimately wondering how I missed the Allen stuff. But now that I looked at who I'm following on twitter, I think it's because I unfollowed a lot of the "old boys club" over the last year or so (Adam Caplan, Greg Gabriel, Peter King).

Yeah, Baker didn't do well in 1 on 1s. It was pretty clear he was having trouble adjusting to the new players, he'd just gotten in a couple hours before, etc. It wasn't really until the 7 on 7s and full team drills that he started lighting it up.

Which, I think actually tells you something about him as a prospect. I could go with the cliched "he's a competitor!" and while that's true, I think it points to something else. Mayfield's strength is in his mental game combined with accuracy. He makes such quick reads, especially post-snap, that he can almost always find someone open-ish. In 1 on 1s, you don't have that luxury, you throw the ball no matter what. I think you can see that as a weakness or strength, but I lean strength because I'd always rather have the guy who plays best in a real game scenario than one who excels in something you should only EVER see in practice (a must throw, no option to check out of it or go to another read, route).

Yeah, Baker's really really good.

I love how seamless his multiple arm angle delivery is. He has that "it factor" when it comes to competitive fire, and I think you hit the nail on the head with how that translate to mental toughness. For me, it translates to what Tom Herman calls "Competitive Focus."

I'm not sure I'd take anything away from the Senior Bowl as the 'hay's in the barn' with their game history.

As long as the QBs didn't fall flat on their face, my opinion/evaluation on them wasn't going to be effected at all based on what they did on the field at the Senior Bowl.

Now, if I was in meetings grilling them with questions and putting them on the board, that would effect my eval to some degree.

What I'd want to see out of Baker and Allen is how do they navigate the pocket and perform with eyes down the field,  pressure avoidance movement and accuracy versus inside and outside pressure.

For Allen, he flees the pocket at any chance of pressure and sees ghosts so often that it's a tough projection (tougher than Baker's) to believe he can win from the pocket under duress by maintaining compact delivery, calm/fundamental feet, eyes processing progressing and not seizing/freezing, and delivering an accurate ball. Once a QB habitually sees ghost and flees the pocket no matter what that's a near impossible trait to reign in.

There's just not a lot of plays where Baker is put under that stress in terms of sample size which of course is not his fault. My only gripe with Baker beyond potential off-field issues that from the couch cannot be properly investigated is that in the limited sample size of serious inside/outside pressure he drops his eyes and runs to a new throwing platform instead of using blitz avoidance movement with his eyes down field. He too often has to scramble to a place where he is in the clear and then searches down field to deliver a beautiful down field completion that he then gets praised for. In the league with more dynamic edge/inside rushers, it leaves more to be desired.

Rosen and Darnold never dropped their eyes, and use athletic blitz/pressure avoidance movement (Darnold more dynamic movements compared to Rosen)

Baker excels at certain things more so than Rosen or Darnold but eye dropping and how one deals with pressure functionally is a central play aspect that ultimately I'm just having a difficult time projecting success and getting over in my evaluation causing me to love Baker the prospect, but just not above Rosen or Darnold.

PFF metric for accuracy under pressure does not capture the pro scouting standard for evaluating a QBs accuracy and ability to win under various types of pressure.

Am I putting to much into that one dimension of Quarterbacking? I don't know. I'm trying hard to look past it with Baker for love of all these other traits, but I just can't seem to.

Possible targets for Cleveland:

Josh Allen

Baker Mayfield

Daesean Hamilton

Braxton Berrios

Tyrell crosby

Mike White (WKU QB)

Mo Hurst

Rashaad Penny

Mason Cole

Troy Fumagalli

Nick Deluca

armani watts

marcus allen

Kyle Lauletta (QB Richmond)

Marcus Davenport

Poona Ford

Uchenna Nwosu (4-3 LB)

MJ Stewart

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

Anyone watch josh Allen and think more athletic Derek Anderson.

And also MJ Stewart CB for North Carolina. Looks like a FS Idk about anyone else but he looks the part physically and athletically 

Look at the post right above yours lol

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Dorsey is going to pick Lauletta #1. I'd bet everything I have on it. 

I know this is a joke.

But I would legit put money on the Patriots drafting him in the 3rd to be their new "super fast release small-school product" in training behind Brady.

25 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

But I would legit put money on the Patriots drafting him in the 3rd to be their new "super fast release small-school product" in training behind Brady.

If that's what BB would do, so should we.

Get a bridge QB, draft Darnold @ #1, draft Lauletta with our #3 and move on from Kizer.

Archived