Players you like (any round)

Armsteeld2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I am excited to see Leonard at the combine. If he tests really well he might jump Evans.

Wow!! That is what sometimes scares me about the Combine.  If you interview well, run well, jump well, and or lift well, you can jump players who have been more productive. Evens is far more polished than Leonard, but I admit there is something about him that tells me he will be a more productive pro than he was in college. His athleticism will help, but I am a little concerned with his tackling. He played on a defense with some holes, but it seems like he was playing FS at the LB position if you get what I am saying.

I have not seen a ton of film and some of that was edited.  I see the potential in him. It reminds me of when the Steelers chose Shazier over CJ Mosely. I would have taken Mosely as he seems to be more of polished ILB.  The Steelers chose Shazier based on his speed and potential. I think that Evans could play and be successful faster, but by year three, Leonard could close the gap as Shazier did with CJ.

As much as I like Leonard and Skai Moore, I would probably prefer Evans at this point.

Darius Leonard doesn’t impress me.  He plays too high, gets caught in the wash too much, and doesn’t play with authority.  He is a finesse chase LB.  He doesn’t use his hands consistently.  I think he will struggle in the bag drills because he moves so stiffly to me.  He reminds me of Stevenson Sylvester who we drafted from Houston years ago.  I like my LBs making tackles within 2-3 yards from the LOS and that isn’t Leonard’s style of play.  Evans will hesitate at times before attacking but Leonard makes flat footed reads when it’s obvious running plays.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:43 PM, Chieferific said:

@Armsteeld2, I call upon you for analysis on Emmanuel Bryant WR NAU. I know you have an eye for small school prospects, Has he caught your eye? 

I can’t find anything on your guy.  I tried his offense vs and opposing CBs vs their team.  Any idea where I can find film on him?  Thanks ?? 

1 hour ago, Armsteeld2 said:

I can’t find anything on your guy.  I tried his offense vs and opposing CBs vs their team.  Any idea where I can find film on him?  Thanks ?? 

I haven't been able to find much either. I was browsing RSP Film Room and they had a piece on him. I was impressed with the small sample size they highlighted. Knowing you seem to have a knack for finding the small school guys I thought maybe you were familiar. Here's the RSP link...

1 hour ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Darius Leonard doesn’t impress me.  He plays too high, gets caught in the wash too much, and doesn’t play with authority.  He is a finesse chase LB.  He doesn’t use his hands consistently.  I think he will struggle in the bag drills because he moves so stiffly to me.  He reminds me of Stevenson Sylvester who we drafted from Houston years ago.  I like my LBs making tackles within 2-3 yards from the LOS and that isn’t Leonard’s style of play.  Evans will hesitate at times before attacking but Leonard makes flat footed reads when it’s obvious running plays.

I think we see the same things in our player descriptions.  I think I look at it as the glass half full and you probably more half empty. I think he can develop into a superior blitzer and pass coverage ILB  He has to get a lot stronger and more physical against the run and will struggle in that area. Level of competition, facilities and coaching can help him.  He didn't have much help on defense at SC State. I was glad to see another scouting report on this player. I do like him despite some of the deficiencies.

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm really hoping this "slip" Derwin James is going through is for real. If he gets within 10 picks of us I, absolutely, think we need to trade up to get him. He's a stud and could immediately improve our secondary. He's massive, can cover, can tackle, and is freakishly athletic. 

Derwin James misses plenty of tackles.  Most are open field misses where the runner has more than one escape.  James will lunge and reach but not bring his lower body with him.  That makes his tackle attempt lack any power and it is often when he doesn’t have his feet under him.  Being labeled such a freak athlete, I see him as being more straight lined with his speed.  I will try tonight to find ways to edit and post some clips.  I also have a big presentation tomorrow so I’ll do what I can.

18 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I see Tremaine Edmunds All over the place on draft boards.   That is someone I trade up for if they get within 10 pics of us. Keep him at ILB.   No moving him to the edge like the so-called experts keep talking about. He will be something special .

I am torn on him from what I saw during the VA Tech games that I have watched. I have not looked at many individual reels of him, but I am still assuming he will probably be a top 15 pick from most of the talk.  From my recollection and first glance, I probably would not trade up for him. From what I remember he plays a bit high and dominated against some lesser competition.  Nothing really bad about his play, but I just didn't get blown over by him from some of the games that I saw and how he was talked up. 

I am not being critical of him, he like I said, he just didn't wow me like many are talking about him as.  I have seen games and times when Roquan Smith looked very average, but then would turn it on. I just didn't get the same feel with Edmunds., not to the point that I would invest extra picks in him.  If he falls, and he is rated highly, jump on him, but otherwise, stay put or move down and try to add a third. 

Edmunds will hit you, doesn't seem to mind getting physical win or lose and he plays downhill; all of which is good. I see the concerns about his lateral movement and straight end speed as well (and again this just comes from what I remember seeing of him).  I think that is why he is all over people's boards as some love the good things he does and others are cautious as to whether that translates on the next level.

I think if he runs well, he will be drafted early  potentially top ten and by fifteen at the latest.  However, if he puts up slow times and does not do well in the drills, he may drop and possibly considerably.  Most likely someone will still probably take him in the middle part of the first round to the playoff teams.  I still doubt we get to sniff him as a pick. I would be surprised and cautious at the same time.

Alabama LB Shaun Dion Hamilton 5'11 228: Powerful.  Squatty build like a RB.  Great diagnosing running plays and attacking alleys downhill.   Takes on bigger OL by using strong hands and low center of gravity.  Plays with some nasty.  Solid blitzer and solid in coverage.  Would be a great consolation if we can't get Evans, LVE, or Smith.  Has had surgery twice for lower leg injuries.

Archived