Dilly, Dilly back to the pit of misery

cowboysdreamer

It's true there is really no creativity in the play calling on offense we just have to look at all the receivers and how many times were they targeted! When ever James Hanna, Jeff Swaim, Blake Irwin and Noah Brown most of the time when these guys are in the game they are only used for blocking to clear the way for Elliott. So if that's not being predictable what is ? I know that the offensive line never lived up to what it once was but every team in the league has to deal issues on their roster's but it's how you resolve your team problems and the Cowboys couldn't do it this year.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again (regardless of how many people naively disagree): Dak is not capable of handling an NFL playbook right now. He’s a zone read option QB, so his abilities as a true NFL QB are very limited. It takes years to develop those skills before getting to the NFL, and years to refine them once they reach the NFL. Dak has to learn and refine them at the same time, which means executing a dumbed down, vanilla playbook. I said this same thing last year and was laughed at. Well, I was proven correct. So unless/until we have a coaching staff in place which can create a system around his abilities and one which will evolve into a more sophisticated playbook over time, we will not succeed.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again (regardless of how many people naively disagree): Dak is not capable of handling an NFL playbook right now. He’s a zone read option QB, so his abilities as a true NFL QB are very limited. It takes years to develop those skills before getting to the NFL, and years to refine them once they reach the NFL. Dak has to learn and refine them at the same time, which means executing a dumbed down, vanilla playbook. I said this same thing last year and was laughed at. Well, I was proven correct. So unless/until we have a coaching staff in place which can create a system around his abilities and one which will evolve into a more sophisticated playbook over time, we will not succeed.

In a case like this if we did replace JG. I would not mind at all if we brought in Josh McDaniels as HC. I remember Denver, but if you know Billicheck you remember Cleveland too. I would let him bring in his own OC, and give Rod another 2 years after we invested some real talent into the defense instead of depending on him getting it done with backups. This being the first year he hasn't had to do that. And despite setbacks results imo do look promising. 

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

In a case like this if we did replace JG. I would not mind at all if we brought in Josh McDaniels as HC. I remember Denver, but if you know Billicheck you remember Cleveland too. I would let him bring in his own OC, and give Rod another 2 years after we invested some real talent into the defense instead of depending on him getting it done with backups. This being the first year he hasn't had to do that. And despite setbacks results imo do look promising. 

I'd love to give McDaniels a shot. In that scenario, however, I'd move on from Marinelli and bring in a more creative/younger DC.

2 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

I'd love to give McDaniels a shot. In that scenario, however, I'd move on from Marinelli and bring in a more creative/younger DC.

Only problem with that is that we've had a very creative DC before but his guys were so poorly coached that they blew assignments on almost every play. At some point we have to accept that maybe a guy who can just get the most from his defense to limit points is what we need and let our offense get us over the hump which is what it was designed to do. Our offense is where the money is. That's where the miracles should take place. I agree we need a defense but it needs to be a balancing act where one compliments the other. We can't expect to be dominant like that on both sides of the ball. Teams like that last only a year or 2 before being ripped apart by FA. I mean it would be great if we could find the n3xt great DC. But I don't think it's necessary. 

26 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Only problem with that is that we've had a very creative DC before but his guys were so poorly coached that they blew assignments on almost every play. At some point we have to accept that maybe a guy who can just get the most from his defense to limit points is what we need and let our offense get us over the hump which is what it was designed to do. Our offense is where the money is. That's where the miracles should take place. I agree we need a defense but it needs to be a balancing act where one compliments the other. We can't expect to be dominant like that on both sides of the ball. Teams like that last only a year or 2 before being ripped apart by FA. I mean it would be great if we could find the n3xt great DC. But I don't think it's necessary. 

True...I just don't think Marinelli has adapted enough to the game as it is today. While Eberflus wouldn't be my first choice, he would bring continuity and having had experience under Phillips should at least mean he'd get a little more creative with his packages. Nothing extreme, but at least a little more than what we get now.

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You want Bill O'Brien? Good god, why? The man has no idea what a QB is. 

He seemed to work some magic with Hackenberg, spent time with Brady and Watson had success before he got injured. I'd give him a look as a QB coach at the very least.

20 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

He seemed to work some magic with Hackenberg, spent time with Brady and Watson had success before he got injured. I'd give him a look as a QB coach at the very least.

He didn’t work magic with Hackenberg, per se. Hackenberg was a 4/5* prospect, and O’Brien’s system translated very well to the college game. However, his limitations as a coach is why he struggles in the NFL. He should never be anything more than a QB coach or Offensive Coordinator (at best).

Archived