Dilly, Dilly back to the pit of misery

cowboysdreamer

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Spot on. 

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to go back to the crazy cap-hindering FA contracts like we used to see all the time. I agree with our recent FA philosophy overall. But we have to do better at sperating the wheat from the chaff. 

It’s amazing the amount of excuses people make for daks poor play(even heard someone say that the lack of Sanchez has been a contributing factor)

it really amounts to decision making and inaccuracy

dak has been consistently inaccurate this year, much more than last year

his decision making has seemed to regress too, last year was unbelievable with all the seasoned vet decisions he was making.

as much as you want to place blame on everyone else, I think it’s important to consider how a years worth of tape can impact a nfl qb. Coordinators now know his tendencies and can gameplan to them.

sure he has had to endure some hardships with injured teammates but the offense was supposed to be the strength of this team.

its failed to score 12 points in almost 33% of the games this year and like it or not, the praise and ridicule falls on the qb 

I really am worried that going forward, dak is a 150-180 yards a game, 55-65 completion percentage and a 1.5 td/int type of guy. The type of qb to make your offense one dimensional 

Dak did not play super awesome this year. There is reason to believe he can be a valuable NFL QB. He has flashed, even this year, rare game changing ability. But if this is Daks peak then we are in trouble. He needs to get better and there isn't a person here that would say otherwise.

9 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Dak did not play super awesome this year. There is reason to believe he can be a valuable NFL QB. He has flashed, even this year, rare game changing ability. But if this is Daks peak then we are in trouble. He needs to get better and there isn't a person here that would say otherwise.

Basically. 

Year 3 is usually when players typically show who they really are, right? 2018 should be telling for Dak. 

Here's what I said to one of my sons last night who is a die hard Cowboys fan.  Basically we have to stay 100% healthy because the wheels come off if a key player gets hurt.  We are a top heavy roster and have been for years.  The drop off in talent between starter and back up at many positions is huge.  I can't figure out how other teams can endure injuries yet we can't.  And this is not an isolated phenomena.  It's been going on for years.

I'm sorry for being vague, but it's time for a coaching change.  Eight years and what one playoff victory?  The time has come.   Folks on here complain about Dak that he's hit his ceiling, coordinators have enough tape on him now to figure him out and expose him.  Maybe that's true.  But can't the same be said of good old Redball and his process?  At the end of the day it's about winning; about being a consistent playoff contender, and making some noise in the post season.  We have not accomplished this.  Let's get some fresh blood and ideas on the sideline.  And for god's sake when it's first and goal on the 2, try running it with your all world oline and one of the best backs in football. Stop getting cute by trying to outsmart everyone.  You only end up outsmarting yourself in the end.

Dak Prescott’s Passing Stats Before The Ezekiel Elliott Suspension: 

8 Games (5-3): 163 of 259 (62.9%) for 1,818 yards and 16 TDs and 4 INTs.

Passer Rating of 97.9

Sacked 10 times

Yards Per Attempt of 7.02

Dak Prescott’s Passing Stats During and After Ezekiel Elliott Suspension:

7 Games (3-4): 128 of 201 (63.7%) for 1,328 yards and 5 TDs and 9 INTs.

Passer Rating of 72.3

Sacked 21 times

Yards Per Attempt of 6.61

https://fansided.com/2017/12/28/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-rumors-news/

8 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Dak Prescott’s Passing Stats Before The Ezekiel Elliott Suspension: 

8 Games (5-3): 163 of 259 (62.9%) for 1,818 yards and 16 TDs and 4 INTs.

Passer Rating of 97.9

Sacked 10 times

Yards Per Attempt of 7.02

Dak Prescott’s Passing Stats During and After Ezekiel Elliott Suspension:

7 Games (3-4): 128 of 201 (63.7%) for 1,328 yards and 5 TDs and 9 INTs.

Passer Rating of 72.3

Sacked 21 times

Yards Per Attempt of 6.61

https://fansided.com/2017/12/28/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-rumors-news/

Dak did make some bone head decisions this year no doubt.  But these stats show how valuable Zeke and Smith are to the club.  Take away those two and no one on the offense scares anyone.  

What kills me more than our lack of depth- and perhaps what really highlights it- is just how quickly some of our stars have fallen off.

Dez is in Year 8, 29 years old, and looks finished. Tyron's in Year 7, 27, and his health seems to be rapidly declining. Romo barely gave us 8 years worth of starts in 10 on the job. Newman and Ware had completely broken down here and went on to be useful players again elsewhere. Spencer, Felix, Mike Jenkins, Claiborne- not as great of players as the aforementioned, but all guys who showed promise and were derailed by injuries.

Maybe it's just the hyper-focus that comes along with being our team- they do say that the NFL stands for "Not For Long". Every team deals with short peaks for their star assets, and that's not exclusively the case for us-- Witten is obviously a cyborg. But altogether, it's frustrating, *seems* to affect our team pretty often, and is a big part of our much maligned cap/depth woes.

4 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

What kills me more than our lack of depth- and perhaps what really highlights it- is just how quickly some of our stars have fallen off.

Dez is in Year 8, 29 years old, and looks finished. Tyron's in Year 7, 27, and his health seems to be rapidly declining. Romo barely gave us 8 years worth of starts in 10 on the job. Newman and Ware had completely broken down here and went on to be useful players again elsewhere. Spencer, Felix, Mike Jenkins, Claiborne- not as great of players as the aforementioned, but all guys who showed promise and were derailed by injuries.

Maybe it's just the hyper-focus that comes along with being our team- they do say that the NFL stands for "Not For Long". Every team deals with short peaks for their star assets, and that's not exclusively the case for us-- Witten is obviously a cyborg. But altogether, it's frustrating, *seems* to affect our team pretty often, and is a big part of our much maligned cap/depth woes.

I'm willing to give Smith a pass, but you are bang on.  I don't know what the solution is.  I look at Belichick and he is an absolute master at knowing when to cut a guy loose vs. giving him the big contract.  Many of us sit back and think this move or that player(s) being released will hurt the Patriots but they just keep rolling along.  Plug and play.  They truly embody next man up.

Unfair comparison perhaps, but how do the Patriots do it?  On paper you think how are some of  these guys starting,  but Belichick gets the most out of them.

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Well thats on the coaching staff and FO. They are afraid to draft potential starter quality guys when they have a main cog in the position. It's why they've held off on find a replacement for Witten. They dont want him being challenged for a starting role. Same with Romo and we got damn damn lucky we found Dak. We should have found a serious compliment to Zeke if everything runs through our ground game. Honestly had we got Zeke and then draft Derrick Henry in the 2nd of that draft. As much as all of us would have screamed. Our team may have been better off for it because the dude is better then half the starting backs in the league and our offense may have not even missed a step. 

20 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well thats on the coaching staff and FO. They are afraid to draft potential starter quality guys when they have a main cog in the position. It's why they've held off on find a replacement for Witten. They dont want him being challenged for a starting role. Same with Romo and we got damn damn lucky we found Dak. We should have found a serious compliment to Zeke if everything runs through our ground game. Honestly had we got Zeke and then draft Derrick Henry in the 2nd of that draft. As much as all of us would have screamed. Our team may have been better off for it because the dude is better then half the starting backs in the league and our offense may have not even missed a step. 

I was thinking something similar.  We may have a great OL, but if you embrace best player available and an OL is the best pick when you're up, take him.  If he pans out it gives you flexibility down the road and may prevent you from getting locked into some of those long term contracts.  This could apply to any position.  Nothing wrong with increased competition at a position.

33 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I think a lot of that is on Jerry as well. He is a very player friendly owner. Players love playing for him and he genuinely cares for people. While that is not a bad thing, he tends to put that first. We should have drafted a tight end long ago but we are too worried about cutting into Witten's playing time. Not just tight end though. Ryan Switzer couldnt get on the field because Witten has to play 90% of the snaps.

24 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I think a lot of that is on Jerry as well. He is a very player friendly owner. Players love playing for him and he genuinely cares for people. While that is not a bad thing, he tends to put that first. We should have drafted a tight end long ago but we are too worried about cutting into Witten's playing time. Not just tight end though. Ryan Switzer couldnt get on the field because Witten has to play 90% of the snaps.

And I love Witten. He's a future Hall of Famer without question. However, he needs to start seeing a reduced snap count as he's no longer the player he once was. Hanna is average, Swaim is basically a blocker and who knows what Gathers can be. I'd love for us to take someone like Goedert, Andrews or Hurst.

2 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

And I love Witten. He's a future Hall of Famer without question. However, he needs to start seeing a reduced snap count as he's no longer the player he once was. Hanna is average, Swaim is basically a blocker and who knows what Gathers can be. I'd love for us to take someone like Goedert, Andrews or Hurst.

Only reason I am hesitant with drafting another Tight End is because we never utilize them because we never take Witten off the field. We put his pride above the team's needs. If we are committed to reducing his snaps and using another Tight End, then I am all for drafting one.

Archived