Draft Prospects demanding not to play for certain teams?

JaguarCrazy2832

Does it bother you at all when a prospect says they won't play for another team?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you at all when a prospect says they won't play for another team?

• Yes, you aren't even a rookie yet. Why are you calling the shots?
    • No, their decision, their call and future

Reports came out that some of the top prospects didn't want to come out if it meant they played for Cleveland 

What is anyone's take on this? Since they aren't declaring yet and make that decision it's not a big deal but if by next year they find themselves in a position to be drafted very high again by Cleveland and say they won't play for them what does everyone think of that? Or what could be interesting if they falter and Cleveland takes them after Round 1...

We've seen this happen with Elway and Eli, does anyone have a problem with prospects calling their shots and possibly not sign with a team that drafts them? As a GM would you call that bluff if you thought this guy was the only franchise QB?

I mean as the best prospect you want to get drafted high and the worst teams wind up with the highest picks so why is this such a surprise to top prospects?

Hmm... I feel like you can talk about it or talk about preferences. But I think that's difference than saying "I won't sign with team X". Those are two pretty different things in my opinion. One is preferring something and the other is demanding something.

Generally I am against it, but historically Cleveland is where QB's go to die. I am not sure if I can blame them.

Then again, want to create an INSANE legacy? Go to Cleveland and buck that trend. Whoever is gutsy enough to try that, and lucky enough to succeed, will be considered a God in Cleveland if they deliver even a single playoff victory.

It doesn't matter much to me. Very few players request special treatment and very few teams are bad enough to warrant it. In the grand scheme of things its not a big deal right now. The NFL is set up where an owner can run his franchise into the ground with very few repercussions. I can understand why a player like Rosen wouldn't want to be stuck in Cleveland for five years. Rosen is extremely confident and has very high expectations for his life. This topic is all about your values and perspective. You can say the NFL is set up this way for a reason and you have to bite the bullet. Or you can believe the Browns have been a complete disaster and they've earned their right to be in this position. You can say this isn't good for football. But the Browns aren't good for football right now. You can argue this kind of situation could push the Browns to be better. I think this situation is great. It's a leverage battle. At the end of the day its all entertainment. This will entertain. Rosen is not the first and won't be the last. 

It doesn't bother me. They have such little leverage I don't mind when they try to use it. I also don't mind when the team says up yours, you're playing for us or waiting a year, so suck it up, buttercup lol. In the end, the leverage only works if the team blinks. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It doesn't bother me. They have such little leverage I don't mind when they try to use it. I also don't mind when the team says up yours, you're playing for us or waiting a year, so suck it up, buttercup lol. In the end, the leverage only works if the team blinks. 

Except, most teams blink!!! Elway/Eli !!!

I mean, if we're being honest, I would fear being drafted by Cleveland, especially as a QB. Their track record is comically bad. It is a bad team with an absolute mess on its hands in terms of management. Could a QB become a deity with a playoff win? Yes. But I highly doubt the Browns front office is capable of putting a QB in position to ever do that. Even the cockiest and most self-promoting QB has to understand that much and so, what they "could" become there is a moot point. A guy like Rosen has to know that his likelihood of success with the Browns right now would be limited to non-existent. He could show up, do his absolute best, and probably still be viewed as a "bust" before having to spend the next several years with a new team trying to buck that reputation and hoping to get another shot before their new team drafts their new "future". I totally understand them wanting to go into the best possible position to actually make a career out of the NFL. The Browns can't offer that right now, on or off the field, for a QB. 

Now, personally, I think it shows a little bit of immaturity/entitlement/lack of professionalism.  But I do fully understand where guys could be coming from. It isn't easy to not be a "bust" with a bad team around you and equally as difficult shedding that label and capitalizing once burdened with it. 

10 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Generally I am against it, but historically Cleveland is where QB's go to die. I am not sure if I can blame them.

Then again, want to create an INSANE legacy? Go to Cleveland and buck that trend. Whoever is gutsy enough to try that, and lucky enough to succeed, will be considered a God in Cleveland if they deliver even a single playoff victory.

Wouldn't be just a God in Cleveland. Also It takes a special mindset for an athlete to take on such a feat. Johnny had it but also had other issues.

If i'm thinking of spending millions on a high draft pick. I dont want to hear them say I dont want to play for said team. Yea they are bad, sure. But if it's more then just stating a preference, im sitting there wondering if they have what it takes to contribute to my crappy team that picking near the other one without caving into the pressure. 

I don't like it if a player pulls an Eli or Elway and says "I won't play for your team"... if that's the case don't declare/enter the following draft. That said, I can't blame a player for having preferences and trying to broker his way to another team. 

In speaking of Rosen, I do think he's been treated unfairly for what he's said - at least up until this point. He has yet to suggest that he won't play for Cleveland; he said "I'd prefer to go later in the draft and land with a great organization than early to the wrong organization." Looking back, you think Alex Smith wishes SF passed on him? You think Aaron is happy SF didn't take him? Yes, you'd like to hear him say "I feel wherever I end up will be the best situation" or something along those lines, but that's just not reality.

It's the same issue with Rosen- he's honest, intelligent, and insightful, but needs to understand that some things are best unsaid, especially when speaking with the media. 

Archived