Week 17: The End: Washington Redskins @ New York Giants

Acgott

20 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

You really are in rebuild mode...haha.  

Was trying to think who all the giants signed last year, that might not be on the roster this year along with some other possibles.

Brandon Marshall, I think you mentioned him in another conversation.  I could see the team pulling a Victor Cruz move, either take a serious pay cut or get released.  Cutting him would save the team 5 million.  

Ereck Flowers - cap savings 0 call it a wash.

Bobby Hart - saves us 705k not great savings but isn't worth the roster spot is the only reason I mention him.

I'll also include "the other eli" after hearing the latest suspension news.  However, releasing him either post or pre june first hurts the cap.  Only way out of this deal is to trade him, which I imagine his value at this point would be a conditional 2019 draft pick. 

anyway that's my short list, feel free to add more or discuss the ones I've posted.

It’s too early to go down the roster until we know who our GM and our HC are. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Its not worth gaining all that dead money cutting players like Flowers. Better to bench him or try to save him.

Marshall is an easy cut. As is Ray Ray Armstrong (who?)

DRC is a legitimate candidate.

We save a million or so for players such as Dwayne Harris or John Jerry.

I’m hoping even with the garbage we did to Eli,  he will take a cut to help the team.

Just now, Acgott said:

It’s too early to go down the roster until we know who our GM and our HC are. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

Its not worth gaining all that dead money cutting players like Flowers. Better to bench him or try to save him.

I’m hoping even with the garbage we did to Eli,  he will take a cut to help the team.

Looks like cutting Marshall would only cost them 1M in dead money but I actually hope they hold him another year. In a capable offensive scheme OBJ, Marshall and Shepard is actually a pretty solid WR corps

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

I can't imagine that Eli would be willing to take a pay cut, especially if the team wasn't committing to fulfilling the contract terms.  Perhaps a restructure could work but that really only frees up 4.7 million.  Not a worldly amount of money.

Restructuring either Vernon 7.9 million saved or Jack Rabbit 6.7 million saved could be the funds needed to lock up OBJ long term and perhaps enough to work in Collins as well.

To bring in a new offensive line, will cost every bit of the 30 million we've got.  If the current salary cap stays at its projected amount of 178 million, player salaries are going up as well, and the average team will have $39,159,318 in available cap. 

Team Cap Space
49ers $115,965,793
Browns $111,409,592
Colts $83,677,477
Jets $80,931,976
Buccaneers $66,120,552
Vikings $57,039,809
Titans $54,489,041
Redskins $53,956,714
Texans $53,832,683
Lions $53,713,605
Rams $51,470,597
Bears $47,862,578
Packers $41,808,091
Bills $40,809,646
Bengals $37,930,833
Saints $34,526,817
Broncos $29,413,403
Giants $28,912,197
Chargers $28,751,465
Panthers $25,068,957
Cowboys $23,481,370
Raiders $21,145,822
Seahawks $19,415,048
Cardinals $18,827,823
Jaguars $18,101,386
Patriots $17,167,179
Falcons $15,462,827
Dolphins $15,410,140
Ravens $12,340,437
Steelers $3,010,677
Chiefs -$4,279,469
Eagles -$4,676,904

Average: $39,159,318
Sum: $1,253,098,162

47 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

Looks like cutting Marshall would only cost them 1M in dead money but I actually hope they hold him another year. In a capable offensive scheme OBJ, Marshall and Shepard is actually a pretty solid WR corps

I was in love with that core of receivers, but Marshall and Manning never really connected, it was looking like it might as the season progressed but because of the offensive line being so terrible its really even hard to say.  I'd be willing to carry him another year only at a reduced cap.  Which if given the ultimatum of testing the open market coming off a injury and  33-34 years old, he'd likely take the cut and potentially reduce his cost down to something more manageable.  He's already been paid 5.5 million with base salary and bonuses and spent most of the season off the field.  I don't maybe he retires, either way Victor Cruz was in a similar situation and he took the cut, but didn't do much for the team after so maybe its best we don't keep him.

3 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

Restructuring either Vernon 7.9 million saved or Jack Rabbit 6.7 million saved could be the funds needed to lock up OBJ long term and perhaps enough to work in Collins as well.

To bring in a new offensive line, will cost every bit of the 30 million we've got.  If the current salary cap stays at its projected amount of 178 million, player salaries are going up as well, and the average team will have $39,159,318 in available cap. 

Restructuring is a terrible idea. It just pushes expenses into future years. It should only be used by contending teams. We have TWO wins, we shouldn’t be looking at moves for next year, but the year after. Re-sign our key players now.

14 hours ago, Acgott said:

Restructuring is a terrible idea. It just pushes expenses into future years. It should only be used by contending teams. We have TWO wins, we shouldn’t be looking at moves for next year, but the year after. Re-sign our key players now.

A terrible idea is yelling BOMB while at the same time boarding a 747.  "Suggesting" that a player restructure a contract is just an idea, and one that I'm sure their finac.  If we're content on retaining the players mentioned Vernon could save us 8 million, while only pushing 4 million to next year cap.  

Resigning our key players this year, the list long for our free agents, but outside of a couple names, I'm perfectly happy with not resigning those that didn't contribute enough.  Restructures and Extensions is something that executive of finance reviews each year.

I've said before I put absolutely no stock in our current record, this season was a total disaster that I put the bulk of the blame for it on the front office, GM and head coach.  With better leadership, a free agency and a powerful draft, "imo", we can be that contending team again.  I admit that a lot of things need to work out but my primary focus is correcting the elephant in the room of not addressing our offensive line.  For me, this is a biggest need and with a projected higher cap next season, it wouldn't be unheard of to free up cash now.

You're obviously not a fan of restructuring any players this year and I can respect that and can see why you wouldn't want to, but if restructuring a player or players contract this year to regain that edge, I've got no issues looking into exactly how it would benefit the team, without completely destroying our future cap.  You look at 2019 and the majority of those players aren't likely to resign.  Cromartie, Marshall, Flowers would be the big names I see, add OBJ and Collins to the list, but with those restructures, a potential longer term deal would allow the team to get OBJ extended long term.  

I respect your reluctance on extending and restructuring players and know that you're onboard with a complete overhaul of the roster, I just don't think we are as horrible as our record shows and if the team can get the offensive line sorted out.  I'd have no issues with restructuring or extending some contracts that would benefit the roster now.  

Again, this is just my opinion.

You mentioned Eli Manning potentially taking a pay cut and if he did more power to him, but myself I don't see it happening at least not a cut that would save us millions.

3 hours ago, Ohbeejay said:

Eli is gonna really want to win this one, to bump the Giants out of the 2 pick, thus having a better chance at keeping his job next year. 

Luckily the offense is still terrible especially without Shepard and Engram

6 hours ago, Acgott said:

Luckily the offense is still terrible especially without Shepard and Engram

Their last win was 12-9 over the Chiefs. They might not need much offense to win this one. Is Washington playing their starters? I know we are. 

3 hours ago, Ohbeejay said:

Their last win was 12-9 over the Chiefs. They might not need much offense to win this one. Is Washington playing their starters? I know we are. 

Why wouldn’t they. Teams don’t bench starters unless they are resting players. Washington isn’t doing that.

Archived