Week 17: The End: Washington Redskins @ New York Giants

Acgott

3 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

There is zero value in drafting Wilkins for us. He would just be sitting behind Snacks and Dalvin. No thanks. 

I like Chubb's game, but the lack of bend is terrifying. Again no thanks. 

This is thinking about value in a vacuum, but if Smith fits what we want/need taking him at #2 is as not far fetched as you think. I have him rated at #8 currently. In simpler terms, I would be fine with Smith; I just wouldn't be as happy as I would be with other prospects. 

Another name to think about in the second round would be someone like Tavin Bryan in the second. He's a JJ Watt-Lite 

Lack of bend? It’s fine. Just because you can’t bend like Von Miller or Vic Beasley don’t mean you can’t bend.  Joey Bosa had that question as well. So did Mack. His first step explosion, stoutness vs run, shooting gaps, hand usage, motor are all great. So yes please. 

14 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lack of bend? It’s fine. Just because you can’t bend like Von Miller or Vic Beasley don’t mean you can’t bend.  Joey Bosa had that question as well. So did Mack. His first step explosion, stoutness vs run, shooting gaps, hand usage, motor are all great. So yes please. 

He has a limited pass rush reservoir and he doesn't bend well. So comparing him to Mack/Bosa is not a good one. I just don't think he's going to be a huge sack guy. If I'm picking a pass rusher at #2 he better be a 13+ sack guy. I don't see it with Chubb. I do agree with the rest of your quick assessment on him though. I would much rather have Ferrell if we pick an EDGE guy at #2. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, Kip Smithers said:

The Odell was an example of why you saying the Panthers Defense without Kuechly is bad is flawed.

This is why you can’t be argued with. You can’t be objective. It was a design screen, meaning he has to wait a bit for it to be set up. That’s just nonsense. He is literally looking off the defenders to not give the screen away and only turns to the back when he is about to release it. Every QB has drops that’s right, except not every QB has 8 drops in one game. Eli checks down every play, not even gonna get into how wrong that is because why bother. 

Im done here. I don’t mind a back and forth but when the other guy can’t even be objective then there is no point in continuing.

OBJ's production is way more dependent on the QB than Kuechly's production is based on other things around him. Kuechly reading the QB and picking him off is more purely his own ability. OBJ's production, meanwhile, is based on Eli.

To address your second paragraph, I watched the Eli pick again. I'll concede I was too harsh on Eli. Eli could have lofted the ball above the defender, which is what Brady would have done, but the pick wasn't totally Eli's fault.  See I admit where I am wrong. You never do though. And even excluding that pick, my point still stands about Eli.

To reiterate, every QB has drops. Eli's inaccuracy increases his rate of drops because 1) Eli injured his  best receivers early on and 2) has Blake Bortles-like ball product. As an example, the Niners' C.J. Beathard had more drops than Jimmy Garrapollo.  Those drops disappeared when Garrapollo started for the Niners because Garrapollo's ball placement is so much better than Beathard's. Comparatively, CJ Beathard is like Eli and Garrapollo is like Brees'.

To address you're "bias" complaint, we can look at the average of advanced QB analytics and look at Eli's average. This eliminates my bias as I'm not the one judging Eli. When we do look at the average, Eli's QB ranking as judged by PFF, DVOA, whatever, is bottom 10 in the NFL. Do you think all the NFL QB analytics, McAdoo, me and the rest are wrong about Eli while you and other fans (whom are biased) are right? So the computers, the coach who trains Eli, etc are all wrong? That's very, very unlikely. 

Archived