(for)Everson a Viking

SemperFeist

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/the-full-everson-griffen-details/

"1. Signing bonus of $2 million.

2. Fully-guaranteed roster bonus due July 29, 2017 of $5 million.

3. $1.9 million fully-guaranteed base salary for 2017.

4. Fully-guaranteed roster bonus due May 15, 2018 of $6 million.

5. $3.9 million base salary for 2018, guaranteed for injury only at signing, but fully-guaranteed on the third day of the 2018 league year.

6. $10.9 million base salary for 2019, guaranteed for injury only at signing, but fully-guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

7. $12.9 million base salary for 2020, $4.3 million base salary of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing. The $4.3 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2020 league year.

8. Non-guaranteed base salary of $13.4 million for 2021.

9. Non-guaranteed base salary of $14.9 million for 2022.

10. $100,000 workout bonuses for 2018 through 2022.

11. $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022."

This is an excellent deal for the Vikings. If Everson plays out the deal, it's pretty good for him as well. 

On 7/28/2017 at 10:50 AM, TENINCH said:

Johnstone was actually a good player but didn't have much help.

I wouldn't call Johnstone a good player because he was a one-trick pony...which is why he was never really a starter.  

• 2 months later...

Griffen had tallied at least one sack in each game this season and had 7.0 overall, and that streak was continued when he took down Flacco on the first play of the 4th quarter to end a Ravens offensive series. On 1st and 10 from the Baltimore 45 on the first play after the two-minute warning, Griffen beat left tackle Ronnie Stanley and chased down a scrambling Flacco once again, this time also stripping the ball from the quarterback’s grasp. That gave Griffen 2.0 for the game and increases his season-long total to 9.0. 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/7-Takeaways-from-the-Vikings-Win-Over-Baltimore/c06fca30-cd12-42e1-9d43-a496e11c6558?sf124243389=1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Griffen needs a sack next week to tie Jim Marshal’s franchise record of recording a sack in 8 straight games. 

That feat likely got a lot easier with the news of Joe Thomas tearing his tricep today against Tennessee. 

Griffen has been fantastic this season. Nice to see this resurgence. 

In the midst of this stingy play, defensive end Everson Griffen had two sacks, giving him at least one in each of the Vikings’ first seven games and tying him with Purple People Eaters legend Jim Marshall for the longest streak to start a season. Griffen is one shy of the franchise mark for consecutive games with a sack, held by Marshall and Jared Allen. Griffen has nine sacks, putting him on pace to finish the season with 21.

Griffen: “I’m just going out there and beating my man when I get the opportunity with the help of the defensive line. I’m just trying to do my job at a high level.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/22/everson-griffen-anthony-barr-sparking-ferocious-vikings-defense/

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I love how much Griffen opens up for the other guys too.

Quite a few sacks happened because a QB was trying to evade Everson just to be taken down by another Vikings defender.

yes, very astute. which is the whole premise of how Zimmer manages a defensive line, and also why he didn't care for Jared Allen or see him in his long term plans. because Allen was more of a rogue player going for his own statline enhancement.

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Zimmer never coached Jared Allen. 

I believe that's correct, as the writing had been on the wall even prior to Zimmer's hiring that both parties wanted to move on, which is why they did not extend Jared's contract the year before.  

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i said he "didn't care for him," which doesn't state or imply he coached him as a player. i guess i should have said he didn't care for Allen's style of play.

Right. He had the same conflicts with Justin Smith too, who played rather undisciplined in hopes of the big play, which is why the Bengals let him walk in FA. I think that was the same offseason when Allen was traded to MN.

14 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i said he "didn't care for him," which doesn't state or imply he coached him as a player. i guess i should have said he didn't care for Allen's style of play.

Which is probably more accurate, as I personally don't think Jared would have fit as well, since he felt that he needed to always be on the field.  Jared would have had to change too much to fit in with Zimmer's defense.

Archived