(for)Everson a Viking

SemperFeist

22 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

They have. Not sure why though. We're getting pressure by Griffen and Hunter regardless of where they line up.

It gives the OL one more headache, as they have to study film of more players, and players that are actually a threat to sack the QB.

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

They have. Not sure why though. We're getting pressure by Griffen and Hunter regardless of where they line up.

Flexibility. Keep opponent off balance and create a potential mismatch. They are both imposing pass rushers; however, they are not identical. Both bring individual strengths. Personally, I’m a fan. 

The Vikings put Kizer on the ground three times with sacks, and one of them came via Everson Griffen. The late-game sack gives Griffen 10.0 for the season and a sack for an eighth consecutive game, which ties Jared Allen and Chris Doleman for a team record. Griffen totaled five hits on Kizer for the game. 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/8-Takeaways-From-the-Vikings-Win-Over-Cleveland/d1447906-3c91-4b2e-a970-aac755a6a35a?sf128755014=1

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

I thought it was Jared Allen and Jim Marshall (even though they didn't count sacks at that time)?  Are their stats guys so bad that they can't even keep track of their own records?  

A sack wasn't a statistic until 1982. That's past Marshall's time.

40 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

A sack wasn't a statistic until 1982. That's past Marshall's time.

I was aware of that (which is why I referenced it in the parentheses), but they did go back and calculate what would have been sacks...and prior to this Wobby post, everyone had indicated that it was Jim Marshall that first accomplished the feat in 1969 and nowhere did Chris Doleman's name even come up as having done so.  

5 hours ago, disaacs said:

I thought it was Jared Allen and Jim Marshall (even though they didn't count sacks at that time)?  Are their stats guys so bad that they can't even keep track of their own records?  

He had been tied witb Doleman at 7 games. Probably where that name came from...

The six sacks he picked up while the Vikings were going 4-1 in October helped make Griffen the league’s choice as the NFC’s defensive player of the month.

Griffen’s 10 sacks are more than he had all of last season and he’s two shy of tying his career high with half a season still to play. Unless the bye week somehow saps Griffen of the momentum he’s been riding through the season, it seems a good bet that he’ll get that personal best sooner rather than later.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/02/everson-griffen-rides-sack-streak-to-defensive-player-of-the-month-honors/

• 2 weeks later...

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen can set the team record with at least one sack in consecutive games. He currently is tied with Jared Allen and Jim Marshall with eight consecutive games with a sack.

Griffen returned to practice Friday from a foot injury, and although the Vikings list him as questionable, coach Mike Zimmer said Griffen will play.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/10/everson-griffen-seeks-team-record-for-consecutive-games-with-a-sack/

A pair of legendary Vikings defensive ends are rooting for Everson Griffen in his record pursuit. Griffen enters Sunday’s game at Washington tied with Jared Allen and Jim Marshall for the franchise mark of at least one sack in eight consecutive games.

Marshall: “I think Everson is having a great year and that he is a total player. I’ll be watching on Sunday. It’s a given he’ll get at least one sack, and I’m hoping he gets more.”

Allen: “I think it’s phenomenal. Records are meant to be broken, so I’m rooting for him. I always said that once he mastered the mental part of the game that he would be an all-pro because he’s so physically gifted, and I’m just really proud of him. He’s been crushing it.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/10/former-vikings-greats-pulling-for-everson-griffen-to-break-their-sack-records/

Archived