Love the top two QBs in the draft but...

Wolzen

It seems like we are out of the running for those two. I'm not a big fan of Josh Allen, or Baker Mayfield. What if we trades for AJ McCarron? This way we don't have to pay the 30 million it's going to take to get cousins and keep us more flexible. What's your thoughts

When I see people talk about AJ McCarron I can't help but think of the big contracts given out to guys like Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel and, yes, Brock Osweiler. A guy comes in, plays a few games (or Cassel's case, a season) looks passable and is given a huge contract in free agency or a team trades the farm for him and he ends up busting. Yes, there are exceptions (Jimmy GQ being the most prominent right now) but to me McCarron would be a major roll of the dice. 

This team's QB next year is going to be one of Kirk Cousins, Andrew Luck or Eli Manning. We're not going to be able to trade up to get either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold, both of whom are rather meh IMO. Baker Mayfield is an undersized head case from a gimmick offense in a conference that doesn't play defense and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are too big of projects for a team that needs to win now so Joe Ellis can line his pockets. 

I think we go the veteran route via either free agency or trade, sign Brock to be the long-term backup, part ways with Trevor and Paxton, and keep Machine Gun Kelly with an eye on the long term. 

Why do people so badly want Andrew Luck? Luck has been underwhelming (IMO) in his career thus far. He is now dealing with what could be a significant labrum issue that caused him to not only miss the entire year, but may require additional surgeries with no guarantee that he will return anywhere near his prior form with any of the same traits he once had. Trading multiple first round picks for a guy with those type of question marks is a fools errand, and would be an unmitigated disaster for this football team. 

Before the Manning comparisons start, they are not even remotely the same situation. Manning was coming off an injury, yes, but did not require draft pick compensation, and his contract was structured in a fashion that we could leave after any season when the risk was high. We don't have that with Luck. I'm not a fan at all.

I think people over sell how much Luck will Garner. If he checked all the boxes and that over seas stuff worked sign me up for a first and second. He led them to the Championship game and playoffs his first 3 years. 

And Luck could get his value down by demanding a trade ala Carson Palmer. Irsay basically calling him soft warrants that. 

I think a trade that makes sense but will never happen is a Kirk Cousins for Andrew Luck swap. I think both guys can use a change of scenery tbh.

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

When I see people talk about AJ McCarron I can't help but think of the big contracts given out to guys like Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel and, yes, Brock Osweiler. A guy comes in, plays a few games (or Cassel's case, a season) looks passable and is given a huge contract in free agency or a team trades the farm for him and he ends up busting. Yes, there are exceptions (Jimmy GQ being the most prominent right now) but to me McCarron would be a major roll of the dice. 

This team's QB next year is going to be one of Kirk Cousins, Andrew Luck or Eli Manning. We're not going to be able to trade up to get either Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold, both of whom are rather meh IMO. Baker Mayfield is an undersized head case from a gimmick offense in a conference that doesn't play defense and Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are too big of projects for a team that needs to win now so Joe Ellis can line his pockets. 

I think we go the veteran route via either free agency or trade, sign Brock to be the long-term backup, part ways with Trevor and Paxton, and keep Machine Gun Kelly with an eye on the long term. 

You forgot Kevin Kolb he screams kevin Kolb.

I'd rather get Dalton than Aj. There's gonna be a new coach and there's a strong possibility Andy isn't their guy. We need a stopgap why not Dalton?

This is exactly what I expect to happen. We chase Cousins, he is too pricy. Then we chase Luck, the asking price is too high given the risk. We settle for Eli Manning and as a bonus he comes cheap enough that we don't have to cut a key player or two to fit him (Which would be necessary with the other two).

How about something like this - Browns sign Cousins - we trade for the No.1 pick for this year and next year first rounder, Talib, Sanders and Lynch.

Players like Talib, Sanders and Lynch wont carry much value in a trade for the #1 pick. It would cost more than this years #1 and next years #1 to get Rosen.

I am very down on Luck. I think he was a great QB given the talent that incompetent Colts FO put around him, but his injury is absolutely terrifying. Trading at least two R1 picks for a guy that has a serious issue with his throwing arm? I pass, even given his undeniable talent.

Sign Eli, restructure CJ, draft OL and offensive weapons, sign an ILB. That should get us back to form quite fast IMO.

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

How about something like this - Browns sign Cousins - we trade for the No.1 pick for this year and next year first rounder, Talib, Sanders and Lynch.

Even if you include our #1, that's $0.20 on the dollar for the #1 pick. 

If Indy offered Luck for this year's 1.5 - I'd have to imagine Elway jumps at it.

I'm not sure Luck demands the farm, he's coming off a scary injury, on a massive contract, with previous rifts with Irsay.

If Indianapolis could pick twice in the top 5, one of them being Rosen/Darnold- AND free themselves of the Luck uncertainty, maybe they would...

32 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

If Indy offered Luck for this year's 1.5 - I'd have to imagine Elway jumps at it.

I'm not sure Luck demands the farm, he's coming off a scary injury, on a massive contract, with previous rifts with Irsay.

If Indianapolis could pick twice in the top 5, one of them being Rosen/Darnold- AND free themselves of the Luck uncertainty, maybe they would...

Wouldn’t even dream of doing it.  Guy went for treatment in Europe. Which means he went for something you can’t get legally in the US - so Dutch hookers or stem cells (or both).    That means the rotator cuff repair didn’t take.   That’s a HUGE red flag for a career ending injury.   You don’t take on his contract alone let alone give a 1.5.    If this is a career ender it doesn’t set the franchise back 1-2 years it sets us back 4+ years.  And the risk it’s not even close to to a good gamble.  

Like @broncos67 & @BroncosFan2010 mentioned the Peyton comp is not even close.  His operation recovery went as planned with no setbacks no early picks were required and it was a year to year contract.   Luck would be committing 2 years minimum given the bonuses for 2019 guarantee in March 2018 with a much higher risk.  

Archived