Love the top two QBs in the draft but...

Wolzen

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I said I’m not getting on the Baker Mayfield train because he’s under-sized, from a gimmick offense and has a litany is red flags character wise.

You respond by insulting me and comparing me to your ex. 

And in the reply I just quoted you didn’t respond to anything football. You kept it personal. 

Sorry bud was just having some fun with you. Baker is QB1 in this draft. He has everything a QB needs to succeed. 

I get that ESPN has a vested interest in hyping a QB prospect from a marquee university to help their draft coverage and pre-draft coverage, especially when Sam Darnold is the quintessential all-American (white) guy, but this announcing crew is embarrassing themselves. Darnold has played poorly and his team is getting their ***** kicked. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

Sorry bud was just having some fun with you. Baker is QB1 in this draft. He has everything a QB needs to succeed. 

Plenty and I mean plenty of QBs have more than what Mayfield has to offer in terms of an NFL skill set and fail.

What is it about Mayfield that separates him in your opinion?

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

Plenty and I mean plenty of QBs have more than what Mayfield has to offer in terms of an NFL skill set and fail.

You can't coach many of his plus traits for as cocky as he is and for as much issues that he has. He is equally positive in being a leader and being a hard worker. 

I don't know how much that Oklahoma offense changed since Bob Stoops so I can't speak to that. I have seen him go through progressions and check it down, I also see him break the pocket often.

I think its a little much to say that plenty qbs have had more to offer in an NFL skill set and failed. I think Mayfield is more of what you're gonna get in terms of qbs entering the NFL draft. The Winstons and Wentzs of the world are exceptions not the norms. The Mariotas, Watsons, Mahomes, Trubiskys, etc are more of the norm and you have to see if there's enough there that translates to the next level I believe there is.

Darnold does some things well, but he's best served going back to school for a year. He's definitely pressing this year, especially considering he doesn't have Juju to throw to. I'm surprised they didn't lean on Jones more, but oh well, I'm not USC fan. Darnold is a smart guy, I think he'll end up being good, but his footwork is an atrocity. He keeps getting happy feet and his form is a mess. That can be cleaned up.

Rosen is the best QB in this class. QBs with experience in college by and large are the most successful professionals. Rosen has a ton of experience, the best footwork, best arm, and best accuracy. Mayfield is not a more accurate passer than Rosen. His numbers may suggest it, but I'm not buying it. Rosen has some mental questions, and not his ability to decipher defenses.  By some accounts he's a bit of a headcase which I'm not totally sure how to interpret.

I will say, there's a few later round guys who are intriguing if we decide to take a FA QB. I like Ryan Findley from NCST, he's got some solid talent, and they typically churn out good QBs there. Mason Rudolph is an interesting project, but the Big XII thing is still a turn off for me.

37 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Darnold does some things well, but he's best served going back to school for a year. He's definitely pressing this year, especially considering he doesn't have Juju to throw to. I'm surprised they didn't lean on Jones more, but oh well, I'm not USC fan. Darnold is a smart guy, I think he'll end up being good, but his footwork is an atrocity. He keeps getting happy feet and his form is a mess. That can be cleaned up.

Rosen is the best QB in this class. QBs with experience in college by and large are the most successful professionals. Rosen has a ton of experience, the best footwork, best arm, and best accuracy. Mayfield is not a more accurate passer than Rosen. His numbers may suggest it, but I'm not buying it. Rosen has some mental questions, and not his ability to decipher defenses.  By some accounts he's a bit of a headcase which I'm not totally sure how to interpret.

I will say, there's a few later round guys who are intriguing if we decide to take a FA QB. I like Ryan Findley from NCST, he's got some solid talent, and they typically churn out good QBs there. Mason Rudolph is an interesting project, but the Big XII thing is still a turn off for me.

Picking Darnold doesn't bother me especially if we dont have to trade up. If he latches on with a guy like tom house footwork can be improved. He's not a finish product but definitely worth the pick to grow with.

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Picking Darnold doesn't bother me especially if we dont have to trade up. If he latches on with a guy like tom house footwork can be improved. He's not a finish product but definitely worth the pick to grow with.

I agree. Trading up for him I wouldn't be on board with, but I can live if he falls to us. And to be honest, he might. If we end up 4th though, I would sincerely hope we take a LOOOOONG look at Saquon, or, if not him in Round 1, someone like Derrius Guice in Round 2. We need a dynamic RB. Anderson, Booker, etc...they aren't dynamic. They're plodders, and Anderson has a lot of heart. That doesn't make him an especially talented RB though.

Darnold looked bad last night, but he is still a tremendous prospect. Everything he does reminds me of a poor mans Andrew Luck, from his mobility to his maturity. He is a clear notch below Rosen, but he is still a easy pick if he falls to us.

If we do go QB, regardless of who that pick is we need to design a run heavy offense to alleviate their growing pains and invest offseason money in the OL.

I would love to find a way to get Darnold at #4 then deal up (2.4, 3.4, 2019 picks?) for Connor Williams. Get the future QB and LT in the same draft and let them grow together. Then simply restructure CJ as I want a trusty, good pass blocking RB as the bell cow to a new QB. We can target a explosive guy to play behind CJ and either trade Booker or move him full time to slot WR. I really don't like Booker as a runner and don't see him nearly as talented as some here. He fires out of the hole like a man soaked in molasses.

11 hours ago, germ-x said:

So germ-x, you realize this is almost an unfair question in a forum right? I mean, all that typing! That's one you ask a guy at a bar when you've got time to kill.

Anyway, if that happened we'd talk about lots of things. Accuracy in general and especially on the move. Pocket presence, ability to avoid the rush, dangerous outside the pocket, etc. I know we'd talk about pre-snap reads, always seems to find a wide open guy, and understanding of the offense in general. Good scrambler but he's always got his eyes downfield. Running is definitely not his first option.

Then I guess we'd talk about his resume. HS, Tech and Oklahoma, highly successful at each. Three times in the top 4 vote getters for the Heisman and one time winner, etc. I know we'd talk consistency. This kid has been really really good for a long time.

Probably have some laughs about his attitude and aggression on the field and leadership. I know we'd talk about size but not long. He's plenty large enough to play the position. We'd have to touch on durability and health. He's got a good natural frame for that.

Anyway, I'm about typed out for the day. Lots of other things we'd chat about, and in the end we'd find very few negatives and lots of positives.

The kids just a real good ballplayer.

One thing that makes me view Baker and even Lamar more favorably for our situation is that our offense is not exactly filled with dynamic athletes. It's a slow, plodding offense with aging skill players and not much juice at all. But a dynamic QB who can scramble around and extend plays will be able to manufacture that juice, get DT and Sanders in more space than they've enjoyed in years, convert 3rd downs when nobody is getting open etc. 

I don't think there's any chance we move up to the 4th Spot. We currently sit 6th, and with Tampa playing New Orleans there's no way Tampa wins that. I believe we move up to the 5 Spot if Houston would beat Indy. So assuming that happens, both of those quarterbacks are gone when we pick.

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

One thing that makes me view Baker and even Lamar more favorably for our situation is that our offense is not exactly filled with dynamic athletes. It's a slow, plodding offense with aging skill players and not much juice at all. But a dynamic QB who can scramble around and extend plays will be able to manufacture that juice, get DT and Sanders in more space than they've enjoyed in years, convert 3rd downs when nobody is getting open etc. 

That's a good point. Both guys will get you a few "splash" plays a game. I do think Baker would be a steadier hand running an offense and moving the chains.

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That's a good point. Both guys will get you a few "splash" plays a game. I do think Baker would be a steadier hand running an offense and moving the chains.

I'd definitely prefer Baker for several reasons, chief among them touch and accuracy being well ahead of Lamar. I also think Baker can start in an NFL offense from Day 1, while Lamar probably needs RGIII-like training wheels if he wants to play early. 

At this point my QB rankings would be:

1. Rosen
2. Mayfield
3. Darnold
4. Jackson

The first two I see as Day 1 plug and play guys, while the other two need serious work but have a lot of dynamic qualities you can build around. 

Archived