Drew Brees Contract Situation

Raves

8 minutes ago, Raves said:

We already have a lot of dead money tied up into Brees even past his contract ending due to extensions.  We are pretty boned once he leaves honestly.

Just my personal belief... Brees will ride this ship into retirement and the Saints will keep him as long as he wants to play.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, Raves said:

We already have a lot of dead money tied up into Brees even past his contract ending due to extensions.

This is part of the game that I don't understand very well. Why are the Brees extensions creating dead money? And how bad is it gonna be?

7 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

This is part of the game that I don't understand very well. Why are the Brees extensions creating dead money? And how bad is it gonna be?

It's less the extensions but when they do so they, are restructuring guaranteed money and then spreading it out, over a number of years, which they are allowed to do.  But for like 2 years after this season the Saints have dead money tied up in Brees.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-4542/

12 minutes ago, Raves said:

It's less the extensions but when they do so they, are restructuring guaranteed money and then spreading it out, over a number of years, which they are allowed to do.  But for like 2 years after this season the Saints have dead money tied up in Brees.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/drew-brees-4542/

Correct, and I believe they can let another team take that $18,000,000 gtd as part of a trade, but the other team would have to come to terms on a new deal with Brees and it would have to be a team Brees wants to play for, because of the no-trade clause. 

Ultimately, I think Brees stays one way or another. Unless Jags defense balls out and he wants to go there, or another team with a good defense gets desperate. I could see Brees jumping ship for another team if they gave him a great deal. 

Only way we can trade Brees is if he wants to go. He can also hold them hostage with $18,000,000 if they don't give him what he wants. He'll pocket the $18m and sign wherever he wants.

His contract negotiated a great deal, really put the Saints in a corner.

Thanks for the link and explanations. I didn't realize the Saints were in such a rough situation with his contract. Mannn, I really wish we could have done better the last few years so there would be no argument against Brees deserving this ton of money and leverage. I like to think he does, but I also understand the argument against that (our record does not reflect a great QB).

6 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Thanks for the link and explanations. I didn't realize the Saints were in such a rough situation with his contract. Mannn, I really wish we could have done better the last few years so there would be no argument against Brees deserving this ton of money and leverage. I like to think he does, but I also understand the argument against that (our record does not reflect a great QB).

Brees is a great quarterback and deserves the money... he's been the leader of the most longstanding prolific offense in the NFL since he's been here. However the TEAM has failed Brees, more importantly the teams MANAGMENT has. Yes Sean Payton is a great offensive mind but he's the HC not the OC. Loomis is at fault for allowing Payton far to much personnel control in the 2010 contract ext.

Pride and ego of Loomis and Payton are the main culprits in the underachieving that's been happening in New Orleans so I don't see why that should reflect in Brees paycheck. Sure he could have helped out a lil with a more team friendly deal but I doubt he had the confidence in mangment to deploy that extra cash wisely and the proofs in the pudding.

I'm not arguing against Brees deserving every dollar he gets, the man is outstanding at football and is a true Saint. Our franchise is completely blessed and lucky that he came to New Orleans.

However, I'm sure you've seen the comments suggesting that a 7-9 QB does not deserve that type of money/praise. You and I understand that Brees is not the culprit here, but I don't blame anyone for thinking that way.

2 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I'm not arguing against Brees deserving every dollar he gets, the man is outstanding at football and is a true Saint. Our franchise is completely blessed and lucky that he came to New Orleans.

However, I'm sure you've seen the comments suggesting that a 7-9 QB does not deserve that type of money/praise. You and I understand that Brees is not the culprit here, but I don't blame anyone for thinking that way.

I agree, that's why I said if I was Brees I'd play out this season and if it goes south and there is a better opportunity out there for another shot at a ring for the same money I'd take it and the Saints management can only blame themselves and while most Saints fans would feel betrayed, it would also be hard to blame him for leaving.

Mabye we can get lucky and the Saints will offer, and he will accept something like a 3 yr, 36 mil, 100% guaranteed contract.  Basically a 20 mil cap hit per yet with the already dead money, but he gets one last big guaranteed payday and both can ride out the end of his career with him as a Saint.  Heck even take it up to 3 yr 48 mil, 100% guaranteed for a 24 mil cap hit as a max.  Its less than what he'd get for a full contract on the open market, but maybe more guaranteed, especially over just 3 years, not to mention there is the public image of Brees with the franchise, taking a lesser deal than what he could on the open market, granted fully guaranteed, and opens up an easy transition to him having a job in the Saints organization after he retires.

1 minute ago, Raves said:

Mabye we can get lucky and the Saints will offer, and he will accept something like a 3 yr, 36 mil, 100% guaranteed contract.  Basically a 20 mil cap hit per yet with the already dead money, but he gets one last big guaranteed payday and both can ride out the end of his career with him as a Saint.  Heck even take it up to 3 yr 48 mil, 100% guaranteed for a 24 mil cap hit as a max.  Its less than what he'd get for a full contract on the open market, but maybe more guaranteed, especially over just 3 years, not to mention there is the public image of Brees with the franchise, taking a lesser deal than what he could on the open market, granted fully guaranteed, and opens up an easy transition to him having a job in the Saints organization after he retires.

I honestly feel the Saints want to keep their options open with Brees and I think they actually prefer the year by year set up. I doubt they want to get into a fully gaurenteed multi year deal that they can't walk away from. 

Honestly, they'd be better off doing it.  Especially if it was 3/36.  Brees gets paid, the Saints get a top QB who likely won't be declining the next few years, or at least won't till year 2/3 of the new deal, by the hopefully they had drafted his replacement and at worst we have an expensive back-up QB who can be an amazing mentor to his successor, at best, we have 3 more 5k seasons.  Obviously I wouldn't make that offer unless Brees continues to perform at or close to the same level as last year.  If he does, then you ride Brees out for 3 more years, dead money gone with the guarantee, time to draft and groom a replacement, and they part ways having done both sides a favor.

@Raves I like it! Of course, I don't understand the in's and outs of how it works, but if Brees can stay

and play well and we don't have to ride with a couple years of dead money with no Brees, then I love it. Like you said:

18 minutes ago, Raves said:

by the hopefully they had drafted his replacement and at worst we have an expensive back-up QB who can be an amazing mentor to his successor

1 hour ago, BossierWhoDat said:

@Raves I like it! Of course, I don't understand the in's and outs of how it works, but if Brees can stay

and play well and we don't have to ride with a couple years of dead money with no Brees, then I love it. Like you said:

Most I'd do is a 2 year deal and hopefully draft that successor high within those years.

id also be tempted to go after Jimmy G if the Pats don't tag him next year. I think he's gonna be a very good starter in this league for a long time once he gets his chance.

On 7/26/2017 at 2:03 PM, whodatworm23 said:

Most I'd do is a 2 year deal and hopefully draft that successor high within those years.

3/36 fully guaranteed seems too low anyways.

2 years fully guaranteed for $16m per. No trade clause, no tag clause.

Archived