Antonio Brown named Steelers MVP

Livewire

Dude's a stud.  He set up those game winning drives 3 or 4 times at least, and lit up the NFL the entire rest of the season.  

I was having an argument with a moron Viking fan about Brown vs Xavier Rhodes today.  I consider them to be the best WR and the best CB in the league.  I stated the fact that Rhodes couldn't stop Brown.  He's too good to be shut down with one guy.  He claimed Rhodes shut Brown down.  His argument was 5 catches for 62 yards, 0 TDs when they played earlier this year.  That's shutting him down? lol  That equates to 80 catches and 992 yards.  I think most WRs would be happy with that stats line, especially if they're going against the #1 defense in the entire league every week.  Usually you see guys put up gaudy #s to pad their stats against scrubs and then have mediocre games against the top competition.  Brown can go off on anyone at any time.

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Rhodes did play him tough.  Wouldn't agree that he shut down AB.

Agreed.  Rhodes is a stud, and did indeed slow him down, but he was far from shutting him down, unless the only thing you count is TDs.  That was back when Ben wasn't playing well either.  

16 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Brown deserves it, but it is a close contest with Bell, IMO. After a slow start, Bell had a very nice year.

No sense in wasting it on a guy who's gonna be gone in a few months. We already offered him 'way above market value', and he turned us down; I don't see us offering much more (we better not), and unless he's had a change of heart from Mr. 'I'm gonna reset the RB Market', I highly doubt he's a Steeler next year. I also have no desire in paying him the projected $14M Tag price for next year, either. As I posted in another thread, he simply is not THAT special; meaning, we could do well with any above average back...look what 'off-the-street-haven't-played-a-meaningful-down-in-two-seasons' Ridley did last week against the #2 (that's right) YPR Defense (3.4 yds) in the NFL. Take away his one 21 yd rush, and he still averaged 3.7 yds.  Then, Toussaint averaged 4.4 YPR on 5 rushes.

I like Bell a lot, but he's running behind 3 Pro Bowl Offensive Lineman, and when you take into consideration what other RBs have done with less support, and actually outperformed him, well, he's simply not worth $14M...or more accurately...he's not worth our ability to use $10-12M (after paying 'insert name' RB $2-4M) on other positions of need. Not sure if I'm communicating well or not, but point is, IMO, we should let Bell go this off-season, bring in a FA that would cost millions less, some options we COULD consider (remembering we have 3 Pro Bowl OL, and they will likely look a lot better here than where they are now:

Isiiah Crowell

Carlos Hyde

Jerick McKinnon

And there might be some RFAs we can steal away as well, and of course, there is always the draft. 

4 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

No sense in wasting it on a guy who's gonna be gone in a few months. We already offered him 'way above market value', and he turned us down; I don't see us offering much more (we better not), and unless he's had a change of heart from Mr. 'I'm gonna reset the RB Market', I highly doubt he's a Steeler next year. I also have no desire in paying him the projected $14M Tag price for next year, either. As I posted in another thread, he simply is not THAT special; meaning, we could do well with any above average back...look what 'off-the-street-haven't-played-a-meaningful-down-in-two-seasons' Ridley did last week against the #2 (that's right) YPR Defense (3.4 yds) in the NFL. Take away his one 21 yd rush, and he still averaged 3.7 yds.  Then, Toussaint averaged 4.4 YPR on 5 rushes.

I like Bell a lot, but he's running behind 3 Pro Bowl Offensive Lineman, and when you take into consideration what other RBs have done with less support, and actually outperformed him, well, he's simply not worth $14M...or more accurately...he's not worth our ability to use $10-12M (after paying 'insert name' RB $2-4M) on other positions of need. Not sure if I'm communicating well or not, but point is, IMO, we should let Bell go this off-season, bring in a FA that would cost millions less, some options we COULD consider (remembering we have 3 Pro Bowl OL, and they will likely look a lot better here than where they are now:

Isiiah Crowell

Carlos Hyde

Jerick McKinnon

And there might be some RFAs we can steal away as well, and of course, there is always the draft. 

I was just commenting on the fact that Bell had a very nice year, and he was right up there with Brown for team MVP, IMO. 

However, I have to disagree with you. He had 321 carries in 15 games this year after 261 last year in 12 games. That's a lot! Sure, the O-line is a big part of the Steelers' success, but they run the ball that much because Bell is durable and effective. When they have not had him in the playoffs, they've struggled and lost.

I think the Steelers should tag him one more year -- if Ben is coming back for 2018.  They are in a championship window right now. Why mess with that? If Ben calls it a career after this year, then sure. Let Bell walk. I don't know the details, but maybe someone would be interested in a trade?

If Ben comes back then we at the very least tag Bell for another season. If Ben decides to hang it up then I doubt we go the FA route to fill the spot when this draft is loaded with quality rbs. There is prolly about 10 guys who get drafted on the day one and two. 

14 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I was just commenting on the fact that Bell had a very nice year, and he was right up there with Brown for team MVP, IMO. 

However, I have to disagree with you. He had 321 carries in 15 games this year after 261 last year in 12 games. That's a lot! Sure, the O-line is a big part of the Steelers' success, but they run the ball that much because Bell is durable and effective. When they have not had him in the playoffs, they've struggled and lost.

I think the Steelers should tag him one more year -- if Ben is coming back for 2018.  They are in a championship window right now. Why mess with that? If Ben calls it a career after this year, then sure. Let Bell walk. I don't know the details, but maybe someone would be interested in a trade?

I'm sure they will tag him or sign him if they can, but the cap makes it tricky. It could come down to tearing apart other parts of the team or signing Bell with the cap situation.

8 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Isiiah Crowell

Carlos Hyde

Jerick McKinnon

agree and if Gilbert never got suspended, that could be a 4 ProBowl OL, so Bell might be good but I doubt he has this success on other teams unless they have similar OL.  Factor in his tendency to get hurt or less than 100%, and to me there is no way we should pay him what he expects.  I also thought he looked a bit heavier and slower this year as well.  I don't like the idea of the team investing all that cap space  unless it is a franchise QB or elite and reliable player. Bell can be elite no doubt, but injury and suspension past is the downside and no way he should get what he was asking if the team has cap issues as it usually does.

Crowell has always been a tough player for us to defend, he would have better stats if he was on the steelers too.  What do you think his asking salary will be ? There is always the draft, and hope Connor heals , but a proven pro is less of a risk.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

agree and if Gilbert never got suspended, that could be a 4 ProBowl OL, so Bell might be good but I doubt he has this success on other teams unless they have similar OL.  Factor in his tendency to get hurt or less than 100%, and to me there is no way we should pay him what he expects.  I also thought he looked a bit heavier and slower this year as well.  I don't like the idea of the team investing all that cap space  unless it is a franchise QB or elite and reliable player. Bell can be elite no doubt, but injury and suspension past is the downside and no way he should get what he was asking if the team has cap issues as it usually does.

Crowell has always been a tough player for us to defend, he would have better stats if he was on the steelers too.  What do you think his asking salary will be ? There is always the draft, and hope Connor heals , but a proven pro is less of a risk.

I'm not sure, but the fact that was brought up that this draft is loaded with RB talent, not to mention the influx of young talent recently, limits market. Sure, all it takes is one team to overpay for a guy like Bell who thinks he's the answer to all their woes, but Crowell just hasn't had that kind of career success, so he will come a lot cheaper.

Contrary to what cjfollett believes, which is fair--we all have our thoughts on the matter--I just think there are lots of young backs (26 or younger) that are 'good enough' to where these guys will not be getting the paydays they desire.  I'm usually all about signing our own players, but not at the projected $14M tag cost; that's 4-5 good players, right there.  No thank you.

I actually really like Mckinnon. I was crying when the Vikes snatched him right before we took Dri Archer; I believe that is who we were ultimately targeting and panicked with Dri. Mckinnon was everything Dri was speed and versatility wise, only better and 'full size', but still probably better as a 3rd down back.

But who we SHOULD be targeting is LJ Scott...LeVeon 2.0. It's eerie.  Watch for yourself.  6'1" 230lbs Spartan RB who can do it all...hmm, who does that remind you of...just watch...

So, we could pay LeVeon $14M...or LeVeon, Reboot for the late 2nd Rd rookie pay-scale.  Some team will select him before us just to make sure we don't catch lightning in a bottle twice, just you wait...

But seriously, there are 10 RBs that will be drafted in the first 75 picks.  Then add in:

Kareem Hunt

Todd Gurley

Jordan Howard

Melvin Gordon

Leonard Fournette

Ezekiel Elliott

Devonta Freeman

Alvin Kamara

Derrick Henry

Joe Mixon

Isaiah Crowell

That are starters in the league, and their teams are not necessarily really looking for replacements...then add in the folks like LeSean McCoy, Latavius Murray, Mark Ingram, CJ Anderson, Lamar Miller, and Carlos Hyde. That's like 26??  27?? RBs with LeVeon?  The 'market' is flooded; I don't see any reason or need to pay Bell any crazy amount of money, since I didn't even bring up Beast Mode, Gore, J-Stew, Charles, and Peterson.  We want to pay someone for one year??  Anyone of those guys would be insane behind our OL for 1/3 of the cost...if that...

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I'm not sure, but the fact that was brought up that this draft is loaded with RB talent, not to mention the influx of young talent recently, limits market. Sure, all it takes is one team to overpay for a guy like Bell who thinks he's the answer to all their woes, but Crowell just hasn't had that kind of career success, so he will come a lot cheaper.

Contrary to what cjfollett believes, which is fair--we all have our thoughts on the matter--I just think there are lots of young backs (26 or younger) that are 'good enough' to where these guys will not be getting the paydays they desire.  I'm usually all about signing our own players, but not at the projected $14M tag cost; that's 4-5 good players, right there.  No thank you.

I actually really like Mckinnon. I was crying when the Vikes snatched him right before we took Dri Archer; I believe that is who we were ultimately targeting and panicked with Dri. Mckinnon was everything Dri was speed and versatility wise, only better and 'full size', but still probably better as a 3rd down back.

But who we SHOULD be targeting is LJ Scott...LeVeon 2.0. It's eerie.  Watch for yourself.  6'1" 230lbs Spartan RB who can do it all...hmm, who does that remind you of...just watch...

So, we could pay LeVeon $14M...or LeVeon, Reboot for the late 2nd Rd rookie pay-scale.  Some team will select him before us just to make sure we don't catch lightning in a bottle twice, just you wait...

But seriously, there are 10 RBs that will be drafted in the first 75 picks.  Then add in:

Kareem Hunt

Todd Gurley

Jordan Howard

Melvin Gordon

Leonard Fournette

Ezekiel Elliott

Devonta Freeman

Alvin Kamara

Derrick Henry

Joe Mixon

Isaiah Crowell

That are starters in the league, and their teams are not necessarily really looking for replacements...then add in the folks like LeSean McCoy, Latavius Murray, Mark Ingram, CJ Anderson, Lamar Miller, and Carlos Hyde. That's like 26??  27?? RBs with LeVeon?  The 'market' is flooded; I don't see any reason or need to pay Bell any crazy amount of money, since I didn't even bring up Beast Mode, Gore, J-Stew, Charles, and Peterson.  We want to pay someone for one year??  Anyone of those guys would be insane behind our OL for 1/3 of the cost...if that...

If the draft is full of quality RB's then it is a good year to possibly lose a current RB such as Bell. We would want Bell to return but if he wants/expects 16M then forget it. I would prefer that spent on CB if possible or other areas . We already have our CB's so perhaps safety.

We will have to see what Bell does  in the post season, because he  can make himself some cash if he tears up the opposition. 

What teams would consider Bell for what he is asking anyways? How many teams actually are looking for a #1 RB? 

I would prefer keeping quality OL intact and have quality depth on the OL . If there was no salary cap we wouldn't even be having this discussion would weO.o

Archived