Week 17 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hope not. 

I think he actually started camp with us as a corner. Not sure. I know that he got some reps there, and of course, he played some in college. I would assume, however, that if they are dead set on Ward at starting safety, that either Colbert or Tartt assumes Reid's hybrid role to get them all on the field. Personally, I think it'd be interesting on passing downs if Tartt moved into that hybrid LB / Safety role and then have Ward and Colbert as the two safeties - that's a lot of range back there that can be covered on passing downs. 

To be honest, Tartt showed more range than Ward this season. Ward may be better next year after having a full offseason and hopefully not getting hurt in TC. But if they want to start Ward, then Colbert could be the back and it's not like any of the safeties have a proven track record of staying healthy. Either way, the trio of Colbert/Ward/Tartt is pretty damn solid. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To be honest, Tartt showed more range than Ward this season. Ward may be better next year after having a full offseason and hopefully not getting hurt in TC. But if they want to start Ward, then Colbert could be the back and it's not like any of the safeties have a proven track record of staying healthy. Either way, the trio of Colbert/Ward/Tartt is pretty damn solid. 

For sure...I really just like what we did this year and hope to keep them all on the field at the same time 

On 1/3/2018 at 5:30 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Very much agree. In fact, if Ward does indeed stay@safety, the trio should likely all be on the field at the same time, preferably in nickel. You could slide Ward to the slot, and have Tartt/Colbert as your safeties. You could have Tartt as your nickel LB, and Colbert/Ward as your safeties. Alot of combinations and versatility with those three.

Archived