Coaching Changes.

jleisher

4 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Too bad Deion Sanders is going to FSU....Might have made a good defensive secondary coach....

Pugger's comments above you are what I think about that. Guy's THAT talented, who always had it so easy, are never gonna relate that well (in general, exceptions always exist) to kids who don't have near that ability. He could easily be, that would not be my lean, at all.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody done any reading on the Rams offensive play setup philosophy?

• Apparently McVay gets the personnel and the run/pass plays called up to the coach in the booth.
  • The coach in the booth communicates down to Goff what McVay called.
  • Goff has to get the team lined up and ready to go with 25/30 seconds left in the play clock.
  • The coach in the booth then studies the defense and communicates down to Goff what the run/pass call is and then if a pass what his first two options are.
  • Goff snaps the ball as soon as he knows his reads, so that the defense can't adjust.

Does a fantastic job taking the defense reading responsibilities out of a QBs hands.

I wish we would have tried that with Hundley. MM would never give up the line of communication into his QBs headset like that, but what a wicked smart idea.

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody done any reading on the Rams offensive play setup philosophy?

• Apparently McVay gets the personnel and the run/pass plays called up to the coach in the booth.
  • Goff has to get the team lined up and ready to go with 25/30 seconds left in the play clock.
  • The coach in the booth then studies the defense and communicates down to Goff what the run/pass call is and then if a pass what his first two options are.
  • Goff snaps the ball as soon as he knows his reads, so that the defense can't adjust.

Does a fantastic job taking the defense reading responsibilities out of a QBs hands.

I wish we would have tried that with Hundley. MM would never give up the line of communication into his QBs headset like that, but what a wicked smart idea.

that is wicked smaht

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When the time comes for the Packers and McCarthy to part ways we need a McVay.  He's impressive.

16 hours ago, Pugger said:

Don't they always say the C student makes a better teacher than the valedictorian?

Thing is, I think Harrell is the valedictorian.  He just completely lacks the physical ability to compete at the NFL level.  I think his intelligence helped him in the quick Texas Tech offense, and also allowed him to keep his head afloat in the NFL.  I remember him at Tech, he made it go, and when in doubt, toss it to Crabtree, he was open.  It was painfully obvious during his preseason action that he just wasn't good enough, but they decided to keep him around for a couple of years anyway.  Harrell looked as bad as Hundley did against the Ravens except it was during preseason against 2s and 3s.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I thought coms between a coach and player are shut off at a certain point well before the snap? 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I thought coms between a coach and player are shut off at a certain point well before the snap? 

in 30 stadiums around the US, the communication between coach and player shuts off with 15 seconds left on play clock

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

15 seconds before the playclock expires.

If you get your team to the line quickly, it gives the coaches time to survey the defense.

I like the concept, but I'd have to feel comfortable enough that my QB could successfully read the defense in the case that we couldn't get to the line in time or we were in a hostile road environment and this would happen hinder his development there.

Still I agree this would've helped immensely if Mac just Hundley where to go with the ball.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like the concept, but I'd have to feel comfortable enough that my QB could successfully read the defense in the case that we couldn't get to the line in time or we were in a hostile road environment and this would happen hinder his development there.

Still I agree this would've helped immensely if Mac just Hundley where to go with the ball.

Undoubtedly you would need a backup plan, but I thought it was a great idea.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sounds a bit like what Chip Kelly was doing in Philly.  Get things set up to have constant headset communication with the QB.  Kelly tried to o ultra fast and the Philly D was gassed as well.

My guess that in a copycat league, teams with young QB'S might look to do the same.  Makes a lot of sense to do so.

15 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Pugger's comments above you are what I think about that. Guy's THAT talented, who always had it so easy, are never gonna relate that well (in general, exceptions always exist) to kids who don't have near that ability. He could easily be, that would not be my lean, at all.

Yes, this is what I meant.  

Archived