Coaching Changes.

jleisher

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody done any reading on the Rams offensive play setup philosophy?

• Apparently McVay gets the personnel and the run/pass plays called up to the coach in the booth.
  • The coach in the booth communicates down to Goff what McVay called.
  • Goff has to get the team lined up and ready to go with 25/30 seconds left in the play clock.
  • The coach in the booth then studies the defense and communicates down to Goff what the run/pass call is and then if a pass what his first two options are.
  • Goff snaps the ball as soon as he knows his reads, so that the defense can't adjust.

Does a fantastic job taking the defense reading responsibilities out of a QBs hands.

I wish we would have tried that with Hundley. MM would never give up the line of communication into his QBs headset like that, but what a wicked smart idea.

I can understand why MM isn't doing this.  Hundley isn't the future here and we have a QB who can read a defense better than most of his coaches.  This HOF QB will be back in 2018 and Hundley may not.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:
13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody done any reading on the Rams offensive play setup philosophy?

• Apparently McVay gets the personnel and the run/pass plays called up to the coach in the booth.
  • Goff has to get the team lined up and ready to go with 25/30 seconds left in the play clock.
  • The coach in the booth then studies the defense and communicates down to Goff what the run/pass call is and then if a pass what his first two options are.
  • Goff snaps the ball as soon as he knows his reads, so that the defense can't adjust.

Does a fantastic job taking the defense reading responsibilities out of a QBs hands.

I wish we would have tried that with Hundley. MM would never give up the line of communication into his QBs headset like that, but what a wicked smart idea.

I can understand why MM isn't doing this.  Hundley isn't the future here and we have a QB who can read a defense better than most of his coaches.  This HOF QB will be back in 2018 and Hundley may not.

I can understand why he wouldn't do it now. But maybe a change turns the tide in the Pitt game and we are still fighting for the playoffs in week 17. Who knows. 

18 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I can understand why he wouldn't do it now. But maybe a change turns the tide in the Pitt game and we are still fighting for the playoffs in week 17. Who knows. 

I'm almost glad we aren't fighting for a WC spot.  Maybe now McCarthy will finally make a change at DC.  Even if we made the playoffs this year we wouldn't go very far with this defense even with everybody playing anyway.  :/

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A small addition:

• Mcvay calls out the audibles to Goff, who relays them at the line, check it out (start at abt 1 min and you can hear the audibles on the headset)
  • On second thought, maybe this isn't mcvay? Maybe it's the run/pass check that you're describing?  It's been reported that it was Mcvay though.

On 12/28/2017 at 6:41 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

Pugger's comments above you are what I think about that. Guy's THAT talented, who always had it so easy, are never gonna relate that well (in general, exceptions always exist) to kids who don't have near that ability. He could easily be, that would not be my lean, at all.

Yeah, figured that was Kirk Gibson problem.....This and being a jerk....

It's all about communication - that's what that clip shows. I also found it cool when Wentz and Pederson were on the sideline pointing at the play sheet and actually having a good time with it. That being said, I don't know who you could put in the booth that would offer a whole lot more than what Rodgers can see or find out with his cadence / fake snap counts. Always bugged me that Capers was in the booth. Belichick is always huddling with guys. No substitute for meaningful communication

19 hours ago, cannondale said:

Always bugged me that Capers was in the booth. Belichick is always huddling with guys. No substitute for meaningful communication

Yup like when Kevin Greene told CM3 to go make a play in the SB. We need more of that.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Is there anything to prove that you're at a disadvantage from coaching from the booth as opposed to the field?

No.  It's the principal of it and the way it looks.  We're the damn Green Bay Packers of Lambeau Field, not the Miami Dolphins.  Get on the damn field and face the elements or get out of the league. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No.  It's the principal of it and the way it looks.  We're the damn Green Bay Packers of Lambeau Field, not the Miami Dolphins.  Get on the damn field and face the elements or get out of the league.

I'm sorry, but that's not very good reasoning for me.  Either way, you have someone in the booth radioing down what the defense is doing, so in theory you're actually cutting out room for error if the DC is the one making that assessment.

Archived