Solo: A Star Wars Story

RamRod

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Hayden was not right for the part. That was the problem. He looked the part on the surface when he was calm and collected. But when it came to fits of anger. It's just more of the same whiny brat that doesn't inspire the fear surrounding Vader.

http://time.com/4936666/star-wars-actors-almost-cast-leonardo-dicaprio/

These were supposedly the guys who were in line for the role among others. Leo might have pulled it off at the time although this was still a ways off from his Departed role.

Ryan Phillipe would have been perfect at the time IMO.

Didn’t realize PAC was considered for Mace Windu, learned something today

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 11:29 AM, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that Darth Maul originally had a much bigger role in Phantom Menace.  I just keep thinking about Phantom Menace and the entire prequel trilogy and wondering what it might have been if any number of the following occurred:

1. Lucas didn't get so obsessed with CGI over Practical Effects.
2. Lucas removed Jar Jar Binks.
3. Lucas made Darth Maul more of that Vader presence throughout the trilogy.  Cut Dooku, maybe Grievous, give more screen time to Maul.
4. Got actors that can act to play the most iconic villain of all science fiction/fantasy. 
5. Picked someone other than Natalie Portman.  How anybody thinks she's this A-list actress is beyond me.  She's as bad as Hayden.  The only reason people don't see this is because she's extremely attractive. 
6. Actually created a sense of a strong bond between Anakin and Obi-Wan.
7. Made it so that Obi Wan didn't completely invalidate everything with the line in A New Hope where he has no recollection of R2 and C-3PO.
8. Made the Jar Jar conspiracy theory a conspiracy fact.  I still to this day believe that was George's plan all along.  It makes too much sense.  There was a TON of foreshadowing of Jar Jar actually being a villain.  Why did Palpatine focus on Naboo?  Because Jar Jar was there.  Jar Jar just happens to get in the way of Obi Wan/Qui Gon.  Jar Jar was exiled for doing "bad things," Jar Jar could have led them directly to Tattooine to get Anakin, literally every villain in Star Wars has Jar Jar's eyes.  I think Lucas planned on Jar Jar being a lovable sidekick on par with Chewbacca, and when people complained about Jar Jar as being too obnoxious, he probably had his feelings hurt and retconned the whole idea. 

To the part about him having a much bigger role in Phantom Menace, I absolutely agree on that.  I also agree on Jar Jar being some sort of villain.  There are just too many things pointing in that direction, and how vastly his time was cut down from the 1st to 2nd movie, and then the last one.  It was like Lucas was intent on pulling another "Luke, I am your father moment."  

I'm also confused as to the timeline of Sith here.  In the EU, the Plagueis novel states that Plagueis was alive until the Queen and the Jedi left Coruscant to head back to retake Naboo, and he ordered Sidious to send Maul to kill Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan so they wouldn't train Anakin.  Now, that story has been wiped, so we have no idea if Maul was indeed a Sith as per the Rule of Two, or if he was just a dark side apprentice, like Asajj Ventress.  

I'm OK with bringing him back from the dead- Mace Windu better be making an appearance at some point- but a powerful Sith Lord being in charge of one of many crime syndicates?  I just don't get it.  His appearance in the movie better be setting up the Kenobi film.  

As far as the actual Solo movie is concerned, they tried to do quite a bit in two hours- shoehorned a lot of plot elements and backstories in, when this really needed to be about Han Solo and his rise to being a notorious smuggler.  He and Lando both had a backstory trilogy in the old EU, so they needed to do more with Han in two hours and forget most of the other elements, especially turning it into a quasi-romance film.  

On 9/17/2018 at 2:37 AM, Oregon Ducks said:

Finally saw Solo. Best Star Wars movie I've seen.

I finally got around to watching this. Been avoiding it because I figured it was horrible. But it wasn't... it was actually quite enjoyable. Certainly not best Star Wars movie debatable or anything but something I will def watch again someday. Which is more then I can say for AOTC.

2 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

I finally got around to watching this. Been avoiding it because I figured it was horrible. But it wasn't... it was actually quite enjoyable. Certainly not best Star Wars movie debatable or anything but something I will def watch again someday. Which is more then I can say for AOTC.

Yea but AOTC did have the Yoda fight scene which makes it redeemable. 

10 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

I'd rather watch AOTC than Solo. I really didn't like it. I may give it another shot at some point. But it's currently my least favorite movie in the franchise.

I agree. I was expecting it to be horrible. It was actually really fun. Not great, and it could have been great IMO, but still worth 2 hours. The sets alone are the best since the origional, by far IMO. Some of the costumes are just tremendous. Great practical effects.

I definitely liked it more than I thought I would. I actually thought Alden did a good job of mimicking Ford playing Solo. I also didn't hate the Khaleesi's acting like I usually do. Movie was a solid 7.5/10 and I was expecting more of a 5/10.

SPOILER:

Spoiler: The Maul scene was a cool twist, but I probably don't know enough about the CW and Resistance shows to have gotten it. I assume he's just gone off and done his own thing?

Archived