2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

Here is a list of the GB Packer 2018 free agent group.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/green-bay-packers/

Player position age 2017 aav FA type
Morgan Burnett SS 28 $6,187,500 UFA
Ahmad Brooks OLB 33 $3,500,000 UFA
Davon House CB 28 $2,800,000 UFA
Jahri Evans G 34 $2,250,000 UFA
Davante Adams WR 24 $983,351 UFA
Brett Goode LS 33 $900,000 UFA
Quinton Dial DT 27 $775,001 UFA
Richard Rodgers TE 25 $690,254 UFA
Corey Linsley C 26 $601,250 UFA
Demetri Goodson CB 28 $580,788 UFA
Jeff Janis WR 26 $567,848 UFA

Jake Schum P 28 $615,000 RFA
Joe Thomas ILB 26 $615,000 RFA
Ulrick John LT 25 $615,000 RFA

Geronimo Allison WR 23 $495,000 ERFA
Joe Callahan QB 24 $495,000 ERFA
Lucas Patrick G 24 $465,000 ERFA
Justin McCray G 25 $465,000 ERFA
Adam Pankey T 23 $465,000 ERFA
Herb Waters WR 25 $465,000 ERFA
Taybor Pepper LS 23 $465,000 ERFA
Jermaine Whitehead FS 24 $465,000 ERFA
Jerod Evans QB 23 $465,000 ERFA
Reggie Gilbert DE 24 $465,000 ERFA
Emanuel Byrd TE 23 $465,000 ERFA

Of the UFA,  I see some players that should be retained for a variety of reasons

1.  Davante Adams -- 24 year old WR that is emerging as a #1WR in a pass first offense.  I view Adams as a must sign to keep the WR position from being a dire need in 2019 with the expiring contracts of Nelson and Cobb.  Something in the $11-12.5M range is good with me.

2.  Corey Linsley -- 26 year old OC that has been steady.  His play dropped off as the caliber of players next to him dropped due to departures of all-pro level OG.  Just do not want to go into 2018 having to break in a new OC.  Do not see a replacement on the roster currently.  $3-4M per year would be good by me.

The next group is less of a priority, but hard to pass on depending the $$

1.  Jahri Evans -- 34 year old OG.  Played well and would be a nice veteran presence next to a likely raw RT (Spriggs, Murphy or McCray).  If the staff felt that their was a young option that can give you equal performance for cheaper, then I am good with that and would move on from Evans.  Something similar to his 2017 salary in the $2-3M range would be good, especially with minimal guarantees so if he is beat out in TC, the dead cap is minimal

2.  Davon House -- 28 year old CB.  If you can get a better CB in the FA process, I am all for it.  I just do not see GB spending big $$ on the position and feel that House could be brought back at a reasonable deal similar to his 2017 value, around $3M per would be fine

3.  Morgan Burnett-- 28 year old SS that seems to be the glue of the secondary.  Just not sure he is on the upside of his career and has dealt with a fair number injuries.  The drafting of Josh Jones in 2017 might make Burnett expendable.  A short deal around $6-7M per would lead me to keep Burnett

4.  Jeff Janis -- 26 year old WR/ST gunner.   Hard to pay for what appears to be an exclusive ST gunner type player, but Janis is a pro bowl caliber gunner and ST player.  He should come relatively cheap in the $2-3M range per year.

5.  Richard Rodgers -- 25 year old TE.  Just does not offer much in terms of threatening the Defense in many aspects....but the cupboard is pretty bare at TE going into 2018, so a short cheap deal in the $1-2M range would be fine.

We really should keep all of the ERFAs that played even a little bit.  They are young, cheap, and know the atmosphere.

IMO priority is:
1.  Adams

2.  Linsley

3.  McCray

4.  Janis

5.  DickRod

Burnett, Brooks, Evans, House, and Thomas for the right amount of money.

Probably bring back Dial, Whitehead, Pankey, Patrick, Gilbert, and Byrd for pennies.  

I wouldn't resign Janis. His ST value is nice, at rookie contract numbers, but even then it's iffy wether or not it's worth keeping a WR who can't play WR. If he as a good return guy too, maybe, but not just for coverage, and 2-3 mil per year is ridiculous. Max more like Brett Goode, 1 per.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm on board with keeping Burnett.  We have a lot of money to throw around, and burnett is a better use of funds than Cobb or Nelson.

yep, this. There are far worse ways to spend money than Burnett.

I do think he's expendable w/ Brice and Jones on the roster, however. Maybe we break the bank and go after Joyner in LA instead ;)

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yep, this. There are far worse ways to spend money than Burnett.

I do think he's expendable w/ Brice and Jones on the roster, however. Maybe we break the bank and go after Joyner in LA instead ;)

I don't believe either of them are quite there yet and Brice has missed a lot of time due to various injuries.

My two cents is that GB should re-sign Burnett as the glue guy, but then I realized it might be a whole new defense.

And that may change Burnett's value going forward

39 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't believe either of them are quite there yet and Brice has missed a lot of time due to various injuries.

My two cents is that GB should re-sign Burnett as the glue guy, but then I realized it might be a whole new defense.

And that may change Burnett's value going forward

eh, the guy can play in the box, at the nickel spot, and as a dime backer. He has value in any defense

#1 and #2 priorities off the list.  Adams looks like a good deal.  Linsley was certainly steeper than I would have liked by a good margin.

Of the UFA,  I see some players that should be retained for a variety of reasons

1.  Davante Adams -- 24 year old WR that is emerging as a #1WR in a pass first offense.  I view Adams as a must sign to keep the WR position from being a dire need in 2019 with the expiring contracts of Nelson and Cobb.  Something in the $11-12.5M range is good with me.

2.  Corey Linsley -- 26 year old OC that has been steady.  His play dropped off as the caliber of players next to him dropped due to departures of all-pro level OG.  Just do not want to go into 2018 having to break in a new OC.  Do not see a replacement on the roster currently.  $3-4M per year would be good by me.

Archived