2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

On 2/7/2018 at 9:41 PM, Shanedorf said:

Evans is the perfect bridge not only for Spriggs, but also for any new OGs who need time to assimilate. McCray might be good enough, but I think I'd like to aim higher. And Jahri still has to decide if he's up for it

The problem is that it's not just a 1-for-1 comparison.  Best case scenario, you have Jahri Evans for 1 more year.  He's going to give you good, but not great play and likely at the end of the year he's gone.  But beyond that, we're right back in the same boat a year from now only we don't have Evans to lean on at that point.  So the question becomes, do you think McCray (or another player) is ready to be a starting OG?  If the answer is yes, you roll with them and revisit Evans post-draft or pre-TC if things don't work out.  I think an Evans signing is more likely to come later than earlier.

I think I'd sign Jahri Evans to be the bridge and use one of the 4ths or 5ths to draft an OT->OG conversion project this year. Then when that player is ready to beat out Evans, he will. I don't think McCray is bad, but I think I'd like to have better. Call it Sitton/Lang syndrome - I'd like better than "good enough"

I have zero problem with veteran stop gaps or even veteran backups. Wolf always kept those guys around. As we have seen, if you aren't perfect in the draft, the bottom end of your roster is garbage. TT would take the UFA out of Eastern Maine over a guy like Evans. Evans can get you out of a jam, while the guy from Eastern Maine is garbage and has a 99% chance of flipping burgers in 2 years

21 hours ago, cannondale said:

I have zero problem with veteran stop gaps or even veteran backups. Wolf always kept those guys around. As we have seen, if you aren't perfect in the draft, the bottom end of your roster is garbage. TT would take the UFA out of Eastern Maine over a guy like Evans. Evans can get you out of a jam, while the guy from Eastern Maine is garbage and has a 99% chance of flipping burgers in 2 years

I find that to be an absolute extreme.  I don't recall there ever being a situation where he had a small school UDFA as a scheduled starter.

28 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I was speaking to veteran backups vs young guys

You specifically said "bottom end of your roster", which implies you're talking about the guys who are buried down the depth chart.  Why would any halfway decent veteran sign with Green Bay knowing they're going to be buried on the depth chart?  The answer is they wouldn't.  Because they're not getting drastically overpaid to do so.  There's a reason why your 46-53 players are either late round draft picks or UDFA.  They're not supposed to have a ton of investment in them.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, cannondale said:

But TT signed Evans instead of playing UDFAs...

I wondered why the Packers waited so long to sign Jahri Evans ( April 26th)

They were looking for a RG who wouldn't negatively impact the comp pick equation. And given how close GB was to securing the higher comp picks, its understandable in the Big Picture.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

It was Wolf then. I was just thinking how everyone thought Wolf was in charge with fa then we didn't even promote him haha

He failed the "sitting on your hands" training last off-season so he had no chance. Now it's Gute's turn to shine. Sat right through that Peters trade, so he's off to a good start!

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I wondered why the Packers waited so long to sign Jahri Evans ( April 26th)

They were looking for a RG who wouldn't negatively impact the comp pick equation. And given how close GB was to securing the higher comp picks, its understandable in the Big Picture.

I think they also looked at the draft and realized if they didn't grab a guard in rounds 1-2, (Lamp, Feeney, Dawkins, Pocic, Moton, Robinson) the rounds 3-5 crowd where we normally make our money was terrible last year.

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2017 at 5:09 PM, squire12 said:

Here is a list of the GB Packer 2018 free agent group.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/green-bay-packers/

Player position age 2017 aav FA type
Morgan Burnett SS 28 $6,187,500 UFA
Ahmad Brooks OLB 33 $3,500,000 UFA
Davon House CB 28 $2,800,000 UFA
Jahri Evans G 34 $2,250,000 UFA
Davante Adams WR 24 $983,351 UFA
Brett Goode LS 33 $900,000 UFA
Quinton Dial DT 27 $775,001 UFA
Richard Rodgers TE 25 $690,254 UFA
Corey Linsley C 26 $601,250 UFA
Demetri Goodson CB 28 $580,788 UFA
Jeff Janis WR 26 $567,848 UFA