Jump to content
squire12

2018 GB Packer free agents

Recommended Posts

On 12/28/2017 at 2:53 PM, jleisher said:

#3.  Evans  (Your going to need a RG, his play was good.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled into 2018 and let McCray and Patrick duke it out for that last spot.  I've been impressed with McCray's play in recent weeks, and Patrick played pretty well even with one cast on last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they rolled into 2018 and let McCray and Patrick duke it out for that last spot.  I've been impressed with McCray's play in recent weeks, and Patrick played pretty well even with one cast on last week.

I agree to a point.  You need a veteran, IMO.  You go into the season with a unproven right side, your asking for another injury to #12.  I call it security.  I could be wrong, but I would bring him back for one year and work one of those two guys into that spot for 2019.  We draft Nelson, and we don't worry about RG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I agree to a point.  You need a veteran, IMO.  You go into the season with a unproven right side, your asking for another injury to #12.  I call it security.  I could be wrong, but I would bring him back for one year and work one of those two guys into that spot for 2019.  We draft Nelson, and we don't worry about RG.

First off, we're not drafting Nelson.  You don't get your highest pick in YEARS, and take an OG with it.  So if you're actually expecting the Packers to use their 1st round pick on an OG, you're going to be really disappointed.

That being said, having a veteran there is overrated.  We said the same thing when the Packers released Josh Sitton, and went with Lane Taylor at LG instead.  And I'd make the argument that McCray and Patrick have shown more than Lane Taylor had at that point.  If the money is right and Evans wants to be back, I think there will be some mutual interest.  But I think it's far more likely we roll into the season with Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, and a DP competing for that spot.  Hell, maybe Kofi Amichia makes significant development and adds to the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

First off, we're not drafting Nelson.  You don't get your highest pick in YEARS, and take an OG with it.  So if you're actually expecting the Packers to use their 1st round pick on an OG, you're going to be really disappointed.

That being said, having a veteran there is overrated.  We said the same thing when the Packers released Josh Sitton, and went with Lane Taylor at LG instead.  And I'd make the argument that McCray and Patrick have shown more than Lane Taylor had at that point.  If the money is right and Evans wants to be back, I think there will be some mutual interest.  But I think it's far more likely we roll into the season with Lucas Patrick, Justin McCray, and a DP competing for that spot.  Hell, maybe Kofi Amichia makes significant development and adds to the mix.

Your correct, and I understand your points.  Lane Taylor might just be lightening in a bottle, you can't keep counting on lower round draft picks to produce, heck, sometimes top picks don't produce.  We have counted on the street FA's and the "diamonds in the rough" miracles of TT as our depth on this team.  This year, it caught up with them.  I agree, they looked good when they played.  If we knew for sure that Bulaga and or Spriggs will be 100% at RT, then I could see it, but I am not sure about either one, regardless of what has been reported.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Your correct, and I understand your points.  Lane Taylor might just be lightening in a bottle, you can't keep counting on lower round draft picks to produce, heck, sometimes top picks don't produce.  We have counted on the street FA's and the "diamonds in the rough" miracles of TT as our depth on this team.  This year, it caught up with them.  I agree, they looked good when they played.  If we knew for sure that Bulaga and or Spriggs will be 100% at RT, then I could see it, but I am not sure about either one, regardless of what has been reported.  

Counting on diamonds in the rough caught up to us this season? Huh...

Who did we "count on" that was this hidden gem who hurt us...

Reads like typical moar FAs rhetoric to me.

Edited by NormSizedMidget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Counting on diamonds in the rough caught up to us this season? Huh...

Who did we "count on" that was this hidden gem who hurt us...

Reads like typical moar FAs rhetoric to me.

Lack of depth caught up with us, quality depth.  The defensive backfield was a mess, true, due to injuries.  As for names, Goodson and Janis.  Goodson shouldn't even be on the team next year.  Janis, great ST player, well, not great, but good.  However, he still hasn't produced as expected at WR.  Getting a brain fart, trying to watch the Penn St. / Washington game.  Sorry if this doesn't explain my point better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Lack of depth caught up with us, quality depth.  The defensive backfield was a mess, true, due to injuries.  As for names, Goodson and Janis.  Goodson shouldn't even be on the team next year.  Janis, great ST player, well, not great, but good.  However, he still hasn't produced as expected at WR.  Getting a brain fart, trying to watch the Penn St. / Washington game.  Sorry if this doesn't explain my point better.

How many injuries at corner can you prepare for? How many for Goodson to get activated? We didn't very good staters but our "depth" was as good as anyone's there coming in.

Janis is WR5 and a good ST player. Hardly the downfall of our season.

You claimed we counted on too many secret low drafted superstars to bloom. I'm still waiting to see someone we supposedly counted on...

If anything they played well. McCray. Patrick. Murphy. Vogel. 

There's jack to support your theory that this was the season where that catch up to us. Our starting pass rushers stunk and we had meh corners who got hurt. How is that counting on them?

WR5. CB, what? CB7. That's the evidence?

We had 3 top 64 pick corners and a midlevel FA there. How far are we supposed to go?

We had MORE successes out of the late guys and UDFAs than failures...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Lack of depth caught up with us, quality depth.  The defensive backfield was a mess, true, due to injuries.  As for names, Goodson and Janis.  Goodson shouldn't even be on the team next year.  Janis, great ST player, well, not great, but good.  However, he still hasn't produced as expected at WR.  Getting a brain fart, trying to watch the Penn St. / Washington game.  Sorry if this doesn't explain my point better.

How many teams are legitimately 5 or 6 deep at the skill positions?  Please do elaborate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a breath Norm, relax.  I hear and read people talk about how TT is able to find these diamond in rough player.  TT is able to find quality OL players in the lower rounds and TT always finds WR in the 2nd rd.  My point is, this year we had to rely on those lower drafted or UDFA's players and it wasn't good.  So, didn't realize we where in a court of law and had to produce evidence.  I am just stating what I think by what I see and hear.  We might not agree, but that's alright.  Maybe I am wrong, I can live with that, but this is how I feel about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many teams are legitimately 5 or 6 deep at the skill positions?  Please do elaborate.

2shay!  Good point.  Maybe I am just expecting more?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jleisher said:

Take a breath Norm, relax.  I hear and read people talk about how TT is able to find these diamond in rough player.  TT is able to find quality OL players in the lower rounds and TT always finds WR in the 2nd rd.  My point is, this year we had to rely on those lower drafted or UDFA's players and it wasn't good.  So, didn't realize we where in a court of law and had to produce evidence.  I am just stating what I think by what I see and hear.  We might not agree, but that's alright.  Maybe I am wrong, I can live with that, but this is how I feel about that.

I'm relaxed. I just don't agree with what you said. And don't cry about court of law crap. You're on a discussion board. If you don't want to discuss anything, then don't. Don't complain what someone wants more details of your opinion and pretend I'm some bad guy for doing it. What you said is bunk, you probably even realize it. It's why you're deflecting and pretending I'm asking you to draw up legal documents when I just wanted examples of these late guys we counted on this year that caught up with us or whatever.

There wasn't any really. So here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many teams are legitimately 5 or 6 deep at the skill positions?  Please do elaborate.

Janis overall value is probably at least a league average wr5 too. Goodson blows and should have never been back. But we weren't counting on him for anything.

Nothing about those guys this year stands out negatively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Take a breath Norm, relax.  I hear and read people talk about how TT is able to find these diamond in rough player.  TT is able to find quality OL players in the lower rounds and TT always finds WR in the 2nd rd.  My point is, this year we had to rely on those lower drafted or UDFA's players and it wasn't good.  So, didn't realize we where in a court of law and had to produce evidence.  I am just stating what I think by what I see and hear.  We might not agree, but that's alright.  Maybe I am wrong, I can live with that, but this is how I feel about that.

Which low draft picks and/or UDFA cost the Packers a season?  I'm really curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Janis overall value is probably at least a league average wr5 too. Goodson blows and should have never been back. But we weren't counting on him for anything.

Nothing about those guys this year stands out negatively.

When we're talking about the 5th and 6th player on a given positional depth chart, you're generally talking about either developmental types or ST players.  Nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

When we're talking about the 5th and 6th player on a given positional depth chart, you're generally talking about either developmental types or ST players.  Nothing more.

I don't think (no offense to other poster here) most people realize what NFL depth really is. We're not the only team with a Janis, or who has a Goodson activated for a couple weeks. Far from it. If anything, the issue was our starters weren't good...and our mid to high picks somewhat disappointed, QR, DR for a while, Fack, Josh Jones, King, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×