2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

On 5/1/2018 at 6:30 AM, vegas492 said:

So what you are saying is...likely no comp picks in 2019?

Doesn't seems likley. However, all 4 of the Packers comp picks this year totaled up to less than 100 draft points

The Saints first rounder will be worth at least 600, likely more.... So we should be able to console ourselves over the lack of comps.

9 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Goodson is still on the roster. 

Good catch. Yes he is and I admit to cutting him in cyber space before the Packers did.

Many teams make cuts immediately after the draft, while the Packers employ a slightly different strategy. TT used to say he wanted to wait until the draftees came to orientation/mini-camp before making any roster moves. They wanted to see the new guys up close and personal before they dumped any players that the draft picks were replacing

If you look at the Packers historical transaction report, you'll see this born out - with many cuts coming in early May after the Packers get their hands on the rookies and UDFAs for a weekend.

http://www.packers.com/team/transactions.html

From the article back on April 4th, RG Jahri Evans says he's open to a return and MM said he too is open to a return to GB for Evans

“Jahri is definitely part of the conversation,” McCarthy said. “I don’t know exactly where he is as far as what his goals are, but we’re open (to him returning).

“He definitely thought that I played well this year,” Evans said. “He liked my play. He liked my locker room presence. He liked some of the things I gave to the young guys as far as just experience, technique, talks. So he wasn’t opposed to me coming back to the Packers for another season.”

He considers the Packers an ideal fit. “I’m not opposed to coming back to Green Bay,” Evans said. “I loved my last year in Green Bay. Green Bay was great. I loved the coaching staff, I loved the locker room. I loved the organization, the community. It was awesome. It was a great fit for me.

Evans said he has stayed in contact with the Packers this offseason. His agent met with the team at the NFL scouting combine.

And below is Eric Baranczyk from PackersNews with his assessment of Justin McCray at RG or RT

Fallback role

The Packers probably can view Justin McCray as a fallback starter at right guard next season, but he will not be in the running for starting right tackle.

McCray filled in at both positions this season — in fact, he played pretty much everywhere on the offensive line — but the finale against Detroit showed that he just isn’t athletic enough to handle the speed at tackle. Ansah was too big and fast for McCray, as he showed when he beat McCray for a sack on a spin move about halfway through the third quarter.

McCray is a good run blocker and is stout enough to hold up as a pass blocker at guard, where he’s blocking basically in a hallway between the center and tackle. He’s not as good as left guard Lane Taylor was at the same point in his career but is certainly better than Don Barclay.

Coby Fleener was released. Not saying GB should sign him... just a veteran TE option is out there if people are worried about the position and if they feel there is no young guy worth keeping to develop.

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Coby Fleener was released. Not saying GB should sign him... just a veteran TE option is out there if people are worried about the position and if they feel there is no young guy worth keeping to develop.

Smart. Never a good idea to say you "want" GB to sign anyone because if you do, @NormSizedMidget will say you just want to sign everyone. ;) 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

below is Eric Baranczyk from PackersNews with his assessment of Justin McCray at RG or RT

Fallback role

The Packers probably can view Justin McCray as a fallback starter at right guard next season, but he will not be in the running for starting right tackle.

McCray filled in at both positions this season — in fact, he played pretty much everywhere on the offensive line — but the finale against Detroit showed that he just isn’t athletic enough to handle the speed at tackle. Ansah was too big and fast for McCray, as he showed when he beat McCray for a sack on a spin move about halfway through the third quarter.

McCray is a good run blocker and is stout enough to hold up as a pass blocker at guard, where he’s blocking basically in a hallway between the center and tackle. He’s not as good as left guard Lane Taylor was at the same point in his career but is certainly better than Don Barclay.

Uh, what?  Lane Taylor was garbage as a rookie.  Utter, useless garbage.  He was a little better in year two.  Came into his own in year 3.  Solid since.

But as a rookie?  I'd take McCray every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I can't see how anyone who follows Packer football could possibly write such, uh, crap, as this.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Uh, what?  Lane Taylor was garbage as a rookie.  Utter, useless garbage.  He was a little better in year two.  Came into his own in year 3.  Solid since.

But as a rookie?  I'd take McCray every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I can't see how anyone who follows Packer football could possibly write such, uh, crap, as this.

The writer is a former OL and OL coach and he's paid to offer his insights on the Packers. Does a pretty decent job of it too, his post-game analysis usually picks up on several things that fans miss watching it live. I think you misunderstood what he wrote

He made a comparison to the two players at this stage in their development . Justin McCray wasn't a rookie, he came out in 2014 and was with the Titans, then did a stint in Arena league before coming to GB last year. So the comparison isn't about rookie Lane Taylor or rookie Justin McCray - its about them at this stage in their respective development arcs -  a couple years out of college. 

NFL Teams are waiting until Weds for some vet signings - that's the date when moves stop counting toward the comp pick formula

From the start of FA until Weds, everything counts. After Weds, doesn't figure into the formula

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

I actually hope we make a play for Fleener. He's better than what we have behind Graham and Kendricks...

Is he? Thought Byrd showed something late in the year when given a chance. I think I’d ride that out and wait to see what happens in training camp and the first set of cuts. If he sucks, we’ll find the same player as Fleener then. 

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Is he? Thought Byrd showed something late in the year when given a chance. I think I’d ride that out and wait to see what happens in training camp and the first set of cuts. If he sucks, we’ll find the same player as Fleener then. 

Why not bring Fleener into camp at least? At worst, we kick the tires and send him on his merry way...

Archived